SWF Rod for a mate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWF Rod for a mate.
    Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:34pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally finished and off my bench. Can wait to see my mates face when I give this to him.

Custom swf rod for slaying monster Yellow Tail Kingfish on the flats. 

CTS Affinity X 9' #10

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Flash wraps! Colour bands and lineup marks as well. Very nice.
My budget TFO was restricted to single red line at the butt and tip, once I sourced colour fast thread!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:59am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How did you find those handles to work with? What's the finish like on the ends - are they tidy fitting up to reel seat etc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:37am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The handles were good to work with.  I used a dremel and ground them so the reel seat is fitted up in side it.  I'm planning 2 more rods at the moment with them and one is for myself.  They are soooooooooo light. the full wells grip on this rod is only 12g's 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks good mate, any particular reason you went with snake guides over single foot or ceramics?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats what he wanted.  I had originally designed it with Single Foot Guides as it is lighter overall as less epoxy.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Henrys Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:45am
Henrys Dad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very nice work indeed, got me thinking even though my wife tells me thinking is not my thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:10am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice!! so whats the grip material?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 2:35pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks,  The grips are carbon Fiber.  They are so light it is unbelievable.  The whole rod weighed in at 136g whish is light for a 10 weight 9 foot rod. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BakWash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:50pm
BakWash View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi GSPOT, 

Nice! 
  How do you reckon those grips will go re cleaning? Will fish muck work it's way in & be hard to get out?
  They sure look good.

Regards .. Bak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:07am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On the fly rod they will be OK as you do not use bait.  

I have just ordered a set for a micro jig rod and will decide if i cover them in finish to make cleaning easier or not at some stage during the build.