Snapper weight versus length

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper weight versus length
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to be a chart on here but cant locate it re weight to length.
Curious how much a 65 cm snapper to v of tail in exceptional condition would weigh. My antique salter scales dont seem to be right.
Pleasant afternoon in inner gulf today.
Target was Kahawai workups ,just love catching them but not a workup in sight. So settled into a outgoing tide spot where i havent done any good for several years. So gave it a shot,limit of snaps mostly high 30s to 50s and one 65.
Very pleasant day ,lots of Skuas around,at least 3 species. Amazing to think that any time now they will be winging away to the Arctic for the Northern summer in the lands of the midnight sun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:33am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I have it at work so if no-one fronts up, give me a reminder on Monday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:24am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Found this on the forum:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:28am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've always been curious about this because i've speared a 89cm snap and only came out to 22.7lb (old boy had nearly no teeth left)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:05am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

his one from mouthu in Aussie has got to be the best i have ever seen.
when compared to what we have caught over the years and that would be 60-70 over 20lb and 4 over 30lb...  (not me by the way think it was Lethal on the forum who posted this)

Fork Length (cm)

Weight (kg)

Fork Length (cm)

Weight (kg)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Much depends on time of year and condition, location (maybe)  that can make a surprising difference....adding a little more and less to the numbers above.
 On verified electronic scales
 We nailed a very fat 63 last yr that came in at just over 12lb 5.5kg
 A 78cm that came in at 8.8
 a 58 cm at 3.5kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 3:42pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Both the graphs very accurate. On the bigger Snaps if you catch one in the high seventies to 80cm its usually a 20 lb da and top end of the scale a 90cm plus fish will be a 30lb da. Always the odd fatty or long skinny one that will vary a bit......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There are always exceptions. But I agree the charts are pretty accurate for a fish in good condition. If say a 5kg snapper is full of food it would certainly go heavier than the chart. A couple of weeks ago we had a 64cm snap go almost half a kilo heavier than a longer fish.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 11:08pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Both the graphs very accurate. On the bigger Snaps if you catch one in the high seventies to 80cm its usually a 20 lb da and top end of the scale a 90cm plus fish will be a 30lb da. Always the odd fatty or long skinny one that will vary a bit......

I reckon you are very smart fishing in close off Mokau Geoff.
The best snapper i've got surf casting was taken off the beach just up the road at Awakino. It was a really chunky fish, and on filleting I found it's guts were full to the brim with broken mussel shells. There must be a lot of reefs covered in mussels. i was amazed that it didn't suffer a fatal piercing of its stomach cavity from the sharp shells.

But a full guts of mussel shell would weigh more than a full stomach of anchovies etc, wouldn't it? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can't take those graphs as gospel especially with snapper. Seen too many tanks and skinny ones over time. Plus why does the graph stop at 100cm?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:27am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

You can't take those graphs as gospel especially with snapper. Seen too many tanks and skinny ones over time. Plus why does the graph stop at 100cm?  

It is a guide and how many 39inch snapper have you seen mate. Not when fishing alone and not the one that got away as most of those are 40inch.
Sounds like you have been listening to my stories?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 9:04am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So your saying there are no 100cm snapper Barrie? To take that chart serious to start with you have allow the fact they have been caught. 

I read this recently and for one I don't doubt this guy.  

https://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22384

PJay has landed one or two has he not also I remember him saying?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:06pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes they are the charts i was looking for-thanks for posting them.

Because the fish was in top condition think about 12 lb. Best snap i have caught for a while in the inner gulf.

Nice to hook up to a Snapper that took 70-80 meter of line in one sustained run.  It then came to mid water and thought it was a medium size Kingi,until the head shaking started.

Interesting what that fish had eaten. One medium size Kahawai skeleton,head still intact,plus shellfish that were cockle like,only bigger with thicker shell pieces ,and assorted scallop shells.
The lesser snapper high 40s to low 50s had jack mackeral heads and skeletons in them,which i had been throwing over after taking off whole fillets for bait. Yet when i use a head on a hook nothing happens much. Smart fish.
Also used Kabura without a touch.Strange as it usually works well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:13pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So your saying there are no 100cm snapper Barrie? To take that chart serious to start with you have allow the fact they have been caught. 

I read this recently and for one I don't doubt this guy.  

PJay has landed one or two has he not also I remember him saying?

I have never seen one in all my 65 years and Eric Mormon has never mentioned one. Eric is the best snapper fisher man I have ever come across
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:39pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I just read the link and if indeed it was 105 cm, big Up's to the HLD for letting it go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HLD was the kayak moderator on here for a few years he ain't a bull****ter. 

Another name sprang to mind to pretty sure Josh Worthington caught one was on cover of fishing news a few years back on softbaits? Could be wrong but it was a massive fish. Also recall Milan Radonich writing up about seeing a monstorous snapper on Barrier and my mate also saw one over the Barrier he reckons was easily 40lb and way over a metre.

Any way my very basic point being is one metre plus long snappers do exist and that chart can be way off LOL  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2016/01/325lb-new-zealand-record-snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

in a NZ Fishing News survey of expert big snapper guys (including Geoff from Mokau) a couple of years ago the angler Tony Wong Kam said his PB was a 39.5lb snapper (over 17kg). That would be off the charts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2016/01/325lb-new-zealand-record-snapper

Mate, I saw that fish in person. Unbelievable. It was so fat, like a soccer ball and definitely looked a metre long.
It was in the walk-in bait freezer at Big Fish Pakuranga, wrapped in Glad wrap. The friendly shop assistant on that Sunday - Chad, a Saffer who is a bit of a kayak expert as well - asked me what the biggest snapper I'd seen was, and I said about 20lb (on a charter) and one my Dad got at the Graveyard in about 1978. He said "come and check this out".
That monster above was something else. Hard to imagine catching it on 8kg!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL Yeah its time to update that chart. 

Smart money will be on Snappa Geoff nailing a metre plus Mokau monster and breaking the WR. No pressure though Geoff. Tongue
Page  123 4>