SB rod, what's people are using nowadays.

Page  <1 78910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:19am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Update: bought the Vanford C3000, very impressed. Got hit hard the other day by some very large kahawai and it performed flawlessly.
Thanks for all the advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silent Assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:58am
Silent Assassin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Due to a disaster over the weekend when a mate's nephew jumped off the boat taking out my custom Yeehaa 704 (CTS blank) in the process and turning it into a 3 piece... I now need a replacement...

So what do I get? Same again? or something else?

I also have an Ocean Angler Microwave V2 but found I always went to the Yeehaa as it seemed to transmit bites far better (higher grade carbon???)

Extra length has appeal but I want the feel that the Yeehaa had...

What do I get? what should I look at?

Would be great if stores had demo rods as having someone hold the tip while you load it up in store is nothing like feeling a fish on the end of it... and tells me little about bite detection.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:16am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Silent,

Check out Cloud9 sb rod by Ocean Legacy. they are available through Option Tackle.
Very powerful blank. I have the CLSP-S712L

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:12am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Silent Assassin Silent Assassin wrote:

Due to a disaster over the weekend when a mate's nephew jumped off the boat taking out my custom Yeehaa 704 (CTS blank) in the process and turning it into a 3 piece... I now need a replacement...

So what do I get? Same again? or something else?

I also have an Ocean Angler Microwave V2 but found I always went to the Yeehaa as it seemed to transmit bites far better (higher grade carbon???)

Extra length has appeal but I want the feel that the Yeehaa had...

What do I get? what should I look at?

Would be great if stores had demo rods as having someone hold the tip while you load it up in store is nothing like feeling a fish on the end of it... and tells me little about bite detection.

I see Dmitriy's recommendation is sold out.

In the OA range, the Megawave may be more the rod for you if you like a less 'fast' blank.
Also, have a try of the Daiwa TD Supercasta. 7'6" and a much more sensitive tip than the Microwave, but still has power down low. More parabolic when loaded up. I really like mine if using lighter jigheads. 

Rob Parker at Houhora uses the TD Hyper on his charter boat, which is almost identical to the Supercasta, and they deal with the donkey snaps his clients land.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:52am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Talk to Maven, they built me a pe2 slow jig rod and it’s really nice.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:07am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano Lunamis or Dialuna would be my pick (I have a dialuna 7'10")

What reel are you putting on it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Almo1960 Almo1960 wrote:

So I have decided to put a Stradic FL HG on the Megawave.
New question 3000 or 4000.
4000 has more line capacity and 11kgs drag vs 9kgs but is 35grams heavier which I think is sweet FA.
Thoughts???

Update: bought the Vanford C3000, very impressed. Got hit hard the other day by some very large kahawai and it performed flawlessly.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go Vanford?
P.s. i think I'm asking that, cos i haven't  figure out yet the diffrance between those two Ermm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silent Assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:02am
Silent Assassin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

Shimano Lunamis or Dialuna would be my pick (I have a dialuna 7'10")

What reel are you putting on it?

Had a Twinpower 4000 FC on the Yeehaa 704 which is still going strong...

Had some negative reports on the Dialuna... so unsure on that one.

Can't get a new Yeehaa 704 currently due to Covid supply issues...
Probably the closest is the Precision Angling rod.

Others I'm thinking about are:

Daiwa Battler (Chilli Dog or Wash Wizard)
K-Labs
CD rods Extrasense

I want maximum sensitivity and bite detection...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:17pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For bite detection and sensitivity, the CD Rods Extrasense and Extrasense Nano rods are MINT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:59pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have a look at an offshore built on a CTS blank.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:20am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve got a CD Extrasense myself and love it, but the high end shimano rods look great as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 2:57pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

4000 has more line capacity and 11kgs drag vs 9kgs but is 35grams heavier which I think is sweet FA.
Thoughts???

P.s. i think I'm asking that, cos i haven't  figure out yet the diffrance between those two Ermm

I picked one up and was impressed by weight & smoothness and from there read nothing but positive reviews. I'm now considering a 4000 Vanford for a heavier duty setup I'm putting together.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 2:59pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thoughts???

Smoothness, weight & extra tall spool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:59am
Gold
Gold

I picked one up and was impressed by weight & smoothness and from there read nothing but positive reviews. I'm now considering a 4000 Vanford for a heavier duty setup I'm putting together.

Find myself in need of two small reals, went with the stradic CI4 3000 & 5000. Thanks for your reply Almo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:07am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Find myself in need of two small reals, went with the stradic CI4 3000 & 5000. Thanks for your reply Almo.

I didn’t know they did a Stradic 5000 CI4.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
Gold
Gold

No they don't, that was typo LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:52am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No they don't, that was typo LOL

👍👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:46am
Gold
Gold

A new rod and this is my first CD, looks very nice, hopefully will go for fish soon and try it on.  
the rod, Extrasense 7'6" 6-10kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:25am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used my $120 Veritas yesterday was very happy with it. Paid for itself in one trip 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:12pm
Gold
Gold

Well, when you put it like that i also own not one but two combos (Eclipse&TR200) those paid itself few times over ... over period of 16 years LOLLOLLOL

Page  <1 78910>