SB rod, what's people are using nowadays.

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:02pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I might see if synit can do a rod, the daiwa rods are good rods I have place all my shimano rods in the rack only use them if green fishes come out with me.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 6:13pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out these mate, I run one got it from fish city and love it.

http://www.cdrods.co.nz/product/18475/cd-rods-extrasense-nano
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NICKed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:42pm
NICKed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Interesting range CD have. The blue rapid rods come in 8-10ft options, cast weights up to 40-50g and rated up to 17lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:43pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

2) Black Sniper 4 pc 220cm 4-7kg. Great for casting slightly heavier lures long distance, 

Interesting input, BMY. Do you notice any difference in action from a 4pc? It sounds like an ideal light lure rod for travel. I'm going to SE Queenland soon for a couple of weeks and would like to pack a rod of some sort to cast softbaits in the estuaries from the shore. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NICKed NICKed wrote:

Interesting range CD have. The blue rapid rods come in 8-10ft options, cast weights up to 40-50g and rated up to 17lb

Mines a 7kg 8 footer 8 to 35 gram, good for Softbait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:21pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

O/H or spin (cough)  LOL

length your thinking of?
besides softbait, going to use Kabura type lures?
slow jigs?

Use a Seaknight baitcaster 1200 ($36) from aliexpress running 10lb on a yeehaa acid wrap 4-6kg.

Wait till I get home for the others  lol.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 4:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

It's probably more of a light land-based lure rod than a soft bait rod, but if anyone is interested, Smart Marine at Westhaven have got the Shimano Jungle Stix 9' 5-10kg rod on clearance for $150 (with a SM card). They are an Ian Miller design with reasonable components.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 4:52pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All good, Ordered a couple of cd extrasense nano  rods.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

nice one. 
Which size did you go for?
And where did you order it from - direct from CD Rods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You'll be happy, micro guides, good length and casts for miles. You will need to learn the FG Knott to get it through the guides, but once you've got it sorted it improves the casting.

Did you look at one at fish city?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 7:19pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I tried and tried to like the cd extrasense but found it not to my liking. I was finding my old catch rod was my go to, shame really as a couple of posters and a good friend also use the extrasense and highly rate them. So back in the market for something new.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 7:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Random and probably not very helpful to anyone, but I bought one of these on a whim from Hunting & Fleecing, Rotorua. Turned out to be a good rod. Casts 1/3 oz well and have landed legal kingies on it.

Never seen the rod for sale anywhere else in NZ.

Next time, I'd go for a longer rod, 8ft or just under. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I repeat the Cousins rods recommendation.

I sold one overhead model to TK, only one I have heard of being resold LOL

And I have searched weekly on Trade Me since they been in NZ for something else I might want in there range. But nothing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:14pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a shimano backbone elite for many years and now have a daiwa generation black 3 piece 3-7kg rod i brought for overseas travel and its my preference now but has a very short butt so doesnt fit in a rod holder very safely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:15am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey worksux, what didn't you like about the rod?

I am also casting around for a longer rod than my std softie for micro jigs..

I am also unsure about the small guides, is the tip quide smaller also?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

I am also casting around for a longer rod than my std softie for micro jigs..

I am also unsure about the small guides, is the tip quide smaller also?

As at the top of the thread, I like the Ocean Angler Microwave in that longer range - casts really nicely in that 1/4 to 3/4 oz range. Can go heavier, but I use my Hearty Rise for the higher weights.

If you feel like splashing out, you could always contact Keiron at Reel Rods in Northland, who would make something custom for you suited to the length/action you want for micro jigs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:45am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the input Tamure Kid...

Yeah reel rods just opened a new store in Tiapa which is 5 minutes from my house. Not wanting to spend so much on a trial item though..

I will check out your other suggestion first.

I will swing in and check out the store at some stage and just have a little peek.................

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Cool. You're a lucky man living in fishing paradise.

Mark Kitteridge did a piece for NZ Fishing News which was interesting, covers off the Ocean Angler and some other long rods. Mark used Reel Rods before longer rods became more common. He is a fan of the Microwave, while declaring his situation of being mates with the guy who markets them in NZ. Mark's not the kind of guy to say good things about a rod for commercial reasons.

Thanks to the connection between the Forum and the magazine, you can read his latest article on long soft bait rods here:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano dialuna S706M - best sb rod i have ever used..

Owned several sb rods from boutique brands over the years, and I dont think they could replicate something like this ith out it costing you $1000's 

I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I am lucky...

Thanks for the article link...

I currently fish Nano Matrix in a heavier version than the one he tested and I do like the rod.

I am going to shoot out in the morning for a fish and check the length of my current rod (lives on the boat) which I am sure is 7ft.

I like this thread.
Page  <1234 10>