Here We Go Again - Scallops!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here We Go Again - Scallops!
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It just doesn't stop does it... increase the consequence...but then again what consequence...wet bust tickets...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where it does end?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When its all gone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So this week we have learnt of 3 twats poaching mussels 2.5k??dumped flounder,dumped crays howick area and now this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"The men had allegedly taken 565 scallops in total, over 300 of which were under the legal size of 100mm. The daily limit per diver is 20 scallops"

WTF. This is a f**king joke. If all you get is a slap on the wrist, then nothing is going to stop them. What an absolute mess. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And many see fit to condemn the commercial sector, just how many poachers/thieves are doing this that aren't caught.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:35pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no doubt those tossers will be slapped with a $100 fine and a very stern telling off.
Makes my blood boil.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not good at all. on a personal note, i find it very depressing as this is my backyard and i like to do the odd scallop dive. what is wrong with people? greed, stupidity, just not giving a f***? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

So this week we have learnt of 3 twats poaching mussels 2.5k??dumped flounder,dumped crays howick area and now this.

Yeah bloody comms eh? Who are the bad guys here?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 5:25am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wonder what chance there is of getting caught?  Not much I reckon, so this is just the tip of an iceberg.  It really needs some major deterrent as a sentence, otherwise its just financially attracttive to keep on doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:24am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It just goes to show poaching could be more wide spread than we think.The thin blue line obviously need more feet on the ground.But everyone has to be on the watch as it could be even the boat next to you 

The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There seems to be an MPI guy at Parua Bay (Whangarei Heads) almost permanently at the moment. Nice chap. I brought home a cray the other day which was just, but definitely legal. He took one glance and said fine. That's reasonable enforcement.

Having said that, I don't think it would be difficult to avoid MPI if you had a half a brain. Fortunately, the idiots in these stories don't even seem to have that. Maybe the ones that get away with it are more intelligent. As has been suggested, there might be much more poaching going on than we think.

I do wonder if there's an element of sticking your fingers up at authority in these cases. What the perpetrators don't realise is that they are sticking their fingers up at me and you, and their own ability to collect seafood in the future. Maybe they just don't care.

I don't wish to start a row or upset anyone, but I think the customary take muddies the waters re: reporting and enforcement.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

And many see fit to condemn the commercial sector, just how many poachers/thieves are doing this that aren't caught.

Totally agree...

Bloody sight more in that comment than initially appears
 The commercial guys get stick from far too many for simply doing what is legal.. which as company directors are legally obligated to do so on behalf the shareholders...
That directly puts the responsibility straight back onto
1/ the law makers
 and lesser extent.
2/ shareholders

But what we are seeing in these threads is gross illegal raping of already depleted stocks
 If they where not depleted, they would be illegally taking legal size.

It should no longer be looked at by the courts as illegal fishing or poaching, but of a more serious concept of making a species extinct....in human terms.. not murder but genocide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:25pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I agree with most of the above and certainly the courts need to start growing some and dishing out penalties that are deterrents. This kind of thing must be ended.
I can't se how this justifies the comms raping the sea tho, as a recent newcomer to Doubtless Bay I'm told not to bother scalloping, about 10 years ago 16 boats 24 hours a day for 14 days grid dredged the bay taking 16,000 bags of scallops and the Bay has never recovered. This is according to an older resident who overlooks the bay, I shudder to think of the damage to the environment. Yes it was probably legal but I can't see the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL rape. either way we're screwed and recent events don't make me feel that things have improved........... I do see that the comms guys are just trying to make a living and it's the big companies and MPI who are the real bad guys here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I understand your concerns Mejiro but really WE need to get our act together first. I know that there wouldn't be a single contributor to these forums that would do this. Likewise not every comm is a bad guy and mostly they work within the law. Recreational fishers are far worse behaved.

Not you and I of course but the organised gangs are all lumped in the Recreational Fisherman basket. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the paua and scallop poaching would be done by or for the Mongrel Mob and Black Power cowards.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:14pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

from fb..WA Rock Lobster Industry "bought themselves" the first NMSC Sustainability award ever issued!.
There was 600 boats exporting $600 million a year worth of crays.
A year later the cray population collapsed and Fisheries introduced quotas, and reduced the 600boat fleet to 200 boats now exporting ~$300 Million worth a year!
Sustainable, my arse!.
NMSC (National Marine Stewardship Council) has zero feckin credibility world wide - its a feckin sham - they just take your $$ sop you can put a fancy logo on the package to fool idiot gullible "land rights for gay whales" greenie shoppers!
There was once the same thing n the meat Industry - the National Heart Foundation Tick of approval.
You just paid them your money and you could put their red "Tick" logo on your meat product they never even tested any of it for fat content etc.
There's so many feckin scams in this world these days!
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Scallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:32pm
Scallo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I often order scallops in restaurants. Recently cooked them at home.

I share with you the recipe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:41am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

But hang on, wasn't this over more than two years ago?
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:44am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A couple of months ago one of the smaller oyster beds in Whangaroa was stripped and someone was advertising Whangaroa oysters on facebook. Not enough proof to prosecute apparently???
2nd hand info but from good friends who liveaboard and know the owner of the oyster bed and saw the stripped bed as they have permission to take a few
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:46am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is a thread-from-the-dead that was bumped by a stupid Scallop spammer... never seen one of those before ???
Page  12>