Whatuwhiwhi kayak fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatuwhiwhi kayak fishing
    Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:21pm
Wade barrett View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heya
soon some family will be coming up from aucks and staying at whatuwhiwhi but I live in kaitaia and I have recently brought myself a 4 m fishing kayak so I will be taking it to whatuwhiwhi to have a fish but unfortunately I haven't been fishing there before and I don't know any spots so could you please help me find some snapper/kingfish/trevally and John dory spots any advice welcome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Doesn't get any easier, paddle about 300m off the beach and fish the reef around the rock you can see just off the beach. Be wary of big trevally busting you off in the reef and some very nice snapper too.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

whats the best rig or soft bait to target them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use soiftbaits anything works, crazyleg gulp in Limetiger was great on trevally. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanks and what time of day was it morning   any time or afternoon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anytime any tide just fish man! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

awesome thanks man   fo you fish this place regulary
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to, fished it about 10 times all up never zilched and had some incredible days. Ironically last time I was there was 6 years ago after the Christchurch quake, I fished three mornings from 6-9 each morning for about 120 fish all up. Fished amongst big kahawai schools was amazing but I got heaps of snapper to and a big trevally. Like i said watch out for the trevally they just burn straight into the weed and rocks. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

mean bro did you ever get kings or know any king spots?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

mean bro did you ever get kings or know any king spots? as I have never caught a legal kingie?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did not bother, I tell you now once you hook onto the big trevally they are addictive and IMO better fights than a king. But if you were to target kings there with a livebait I would not be surprised if you get a strike or two. Further along the coast towards Knuckle Point may be better. The spot is home to Bronze Whaler sharks too in good numbers but I never saw any. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

yeah bro I have caught heaps of trevally (never massive) but they are so much fun and my mum loves them for raw fish but I have never caught a king so really wanting to give it a go and did you ever burley and did you drift or anchor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 5:27am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No berley just drift
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wade barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:12am
Bronze
Bronze

awesome thanks