Jones Bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jones Bay
    Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 5:08pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys/Gals,

"DenimViper" recommended that I post my TR from a recent mission in here - cheers for the advice mate Thumbs Up - still learning my way around the forum when it comes to posting.

For a change in scenery, (and to take advantage of the narrow weather window), Griff and I launched from Jones Bay at zero dark hundred on Saturday morning on a Kingie mission.

With the assistance of the outgoing tide, we paddled across to Fairchild Reef at a leisurely 9.5kmph Smile.  Everything was initially quiet, however, as we filled our holders with live bait, small boil ups started to rise from around the reef LOL.  With a handful of livies each, we moved out from the reef, just as the birds started to descend and predator fish began breaching the surface chasing the abundance of Jack Macks Big smile

Using circles, I lost my first Kingie by being a little too eager on the drag - "bad Justin" Ouch.  However, my grief was short-lived as it was only a couple of minutes until both Griff and I were hooked up, feeling the line rub up against the kelp and fighting to keep the Kingies off the bottom.  Fighting Kingies from the yak in the shallows is always a challenge as you have little say in what direction you go LOL.  Nonetheless, we managed to land these two bruisers and a number of others, keeping two for the family before we headed across to Maori Rock.

Here the Kingie sign was somehow greater than that at Fairchild with constant work ups on the Eastern side of the feature.  Having our self-imposed quota though, we focussed on Snapper with Griff taking the honours, slaying a number of good eaters with the Zman Motor Oil.  Strangely the snapper seemed oblivious to my Bruised Banana Confused

With the wind picking up over 20kts we decided to pack it in and did a couple big lazy drifts back to Jones Bay for photos and coffee Smile

Here is a link to a vid our short trip below:

And a couple of snap-shots Wink:

1. On the water at first light,

2. The sunrise shot Tongue

3. Griff getting on the board,

4. Little bit of catch & release Big smile

5. One for the bin Tongue

6. Time for tea & scones LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 9:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report and photos. Thanks