newbie boat fisher

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie boat fisher
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:10am
brdas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys just looking for some help i have owned a boat for a year now and ive been out quite a bit, ive tried everything to fish and am just looking for some tips or areas i can fish. i have a 12ft tinny and out of the year owning it im lucky to go home with two fish lol i think once i went home with 5. really just looking for advice or tips of where i can fish or what to do. kinda restricted with such a small boat aswell

thanks 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:32am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What area are you fishing?  Where do you live?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:44am
brdas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Normally around motuhie been up to whangaparoa a few times and few times around kawakawa bay I live in manukau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 10:32am
Titanium
Titanium

Have a look at Manukau and West Coast fishing reports, Or Gulf if you prefer and post in one of these.  Plenty of fisho's will offer advice - maybe suggest where you thinking of launching and approx. time/day and see where they suggest you go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 10:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Head out on non busy ramp days.. and if say a busy weekend, give the Monday a miss.. or at least to late Monday arvo....
Study google earth, reefs, look carefully , espec on the time line maps currents and such.
Burly up.. even if drifting.
Keep records of time of yr conditions tide where catch and dont catch.
Plan every trip at least 3 to 7 days out... noting weather windows, tides, wind, swell directions.

Use good hooks owner/ gamaski (??) and make sure they dig into your finger nail.. sharp.

Fish reefs, changes in depth, and everything you go out to planned location, take a slightly different route...say 25/50 away... and watch for the slightest discrepancy, rock on the bottom of what other wise looks like flat terrain.. and mark them.

Play the percentage game... several types of bait.. mullet, trev, KY, squid, pillies, piper......and softbaits....and make sure you baits hang tidy...if not they will spin up your line, and while spinning make a damn intimidating , hard to hit fast moving target for the fish.
 Make sure the end of hooks are well out of the bait.
 use as light a sinker as possible... changing as the currents change

After a while you will get to know where fish tend to be different times of the yr... sort of, and what baits/ burely works for different seasons and locations.

Generally late autumn thru late spring early summer can be hard fishing...be it fish not hungry or simply picking on baits, or pickup, and spit out...and not as many...early summer thru to silly season, good fishing ....silly season , when others are not out there.. ramps not busy (note above)  After silly season thru autumn.. (now).. non busy days at the ramps

Fishing is like hunting..well it is hunting one cant simply walk into thr bush and drop a dear...requires understanding the terrain, where the early morning sun hits, knowing where and what the dear are likely to be and doing different times of the yr etc..
One NEEDS to do ones homework
 Get the homework right plan the trip, and a plan B and a reasonable fisherman wil bring in at least a feed for all , every trip all yr round... and on good days enough to fill the smoker.

Personally...I think attitude has something to do with it....We go out for a god day on the water, good company.. and the fish in the bin a bonus.. in last 4 to 5 yrs, fishing all yr round, ave around once every 1.5 weeks approx.. and never failed to bring home a feed for all the families of the crew.. usually 3 crew... treat what is in the bin as a bonus to a good day , not the purpose.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:02am
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Manukau harbour my son with a nice snap

Good ole fashioned gurnard and kahawai from the manukau
Large snapper caught off between kawakawa bay and orere pt in around 4m of water.

Come on mate........you can do it too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:14pm
brdas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

is there a such thing as im fishing in the wrong spots? 

i tend to think i have to go find the fish or know where they are to catch them, am i wrong? or should i just be out there investigating?

should i just pick a spot say kawakawa bay and just keep fishing there until i start learning and catching or should i move to where people say fish are?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 3:34pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i must admit that it took me probably around a year before i was catching fish with regularity....these forums are helpful for info particularly threads about catches where you want to fish....
Steps has good info above ........when i was up your way i kept a beautiful spreadsheet thing of every fishing trip with all the variables imaginable and what was caught each trip.
The areas i fished where you can easily get to are kawakawa bay and south in the firth and also the manukau harbour. Heaps of good info on here for the manukau courtesy of the locals inc smudge and all his gurnard tips.
For the kawakawa bay area I used berley whenever i could and if i had no idea just shift around at varying depths until the fish were found.
Do some research, have a plan and get out there. Try and fish change of light if posssible too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep it took about 18 months for me to go from entry level "mug fisho" to it being uncommon to come home without a feed.

Do your homework, check out the Navionics web-app charts (free) or even better get the app on your phone. Find interesting underwater terrain, first step towards finding fish.

Next up, berley berley berley. Unless you're targetting actively feeding fish (i.e. workups) or you're prepared to do the miles with a good fishfinder, berley is key in bringing the fish to you.

But more than anything, practice makes perfect. Go fishing heaps. Read other peoples reports. You'll soon work out what works for you and what doesn't, and you'll start to see the pattern between days where you catch lots of fish and days where you don't. The key is understanding things like why a spot where you caught your limit one morning doesn't work 2 weeks later in the afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm
brdas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks guys

i have a pretty good fish finder so maybe il try using that a bit if no sign of fish il berley up only problem is im kindof restricted how far i can travel in a little tinny for now

what times are usually change of light?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:36pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I spent many years fishing shore and boat with the old man in the late 50s thru late 60s
 Old scholl basics.. line up spots by land marks...no sounders gps etc...looking at the land.. forget that there is water an sort of imagine how that land looks , lays under the water... al basic hit in miss stuff.
Brought 1st boat in 70s, but there was no limits quota and a 3 or 12 mile economic zone... so huge factory ships from all around the world where lined up nose to tale and their fishing boat hitting our coastal water during the night
 So bu the mid late 70s it was a waster of time bothering to drop a line... sold the boat and went hot rodding for 40/50 yrs.. never picked up s fishing line.
 4 or 5 yrs ago the wife decided we should get a boat and go fishing...
HUGE learning curve...everything from gps, sounders braid, knots, reels ... all I had was the basic old school seat of the pants stuff....Couple trips and a very good highly respected  fisherman pointed me in the right direction..basically my post above and a couple trips out...
We go out catch a feed... going out to catch big kings , marlin whatever .. and heading out to target a given species is not our kettle of fish... but by the same token, making use of a live bait... yes hit a few big snapper POB is 19.4 lb  but thats just bonus

read the hints how to etc in the forums and articles... also pick up the fishing new mag in the supermakets and skim thru the pages... much will not be relievent.. thu most likely interesting... but there will be an article on baiting or burly, or traces.. or reading structure... buy it....
 And learn about the fish you targeting , where they live what they eat, and when... how they behave around a structure when the tide changes .
 Remember there is a old fishing saying
" 5% of fishermen catch 95% of the fish"
 And those are the guys who do their homework....
Also as Mark twain said " there is no such thing as luck, luck is directly proportional to the effort put in."

what times are usually change of light?
 yep that term is still very vague to me.
Have found it .. personally when the sun gets at an angle that the light reflects off the surface of the water rather than goes into the water......which I gauge at about 25 to 30 degres above the horzon

i have a pretty good fish finder so maybe il try using that a bit if no sign of fish il berley up only problem is im kindof restricted how far i can travel in a little tinny for now

Forget calling it a fish finder...it is a sounder to see / look for structure to burly up over. And when burley up.. give itat least 20/ 30 mins foe the little fish to come along.. just legal and 40 mins for the bigger fish out the back of the trail.... and rem if burley on the surface and the bait is on the bottom.. the current at the surface may not be the same as at the bottom.....go back to my comment above about thinking of the lay of the land under the sea as an extension of what you can see...and winds and breezes , like water currents can be very different on a ridge, or 30 m above than what they are in the valley.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:27am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

[/I]Forget calling it a fish finder...it is a sounder to see / look for structure to burly up over.

[/I]

Respectfully I disagree - with a modern colour sounder I get 3 returns from a ledger rig in 30m of water - one from the sinker and one each from a 2/0 hook with a small bait on it. I can also tell you what the composition of the bottom is, which is great for finding the edge of a weedline. I have literally watched in real time as a Kingfish rose off the bottom and hit a livebait.

So while they aren't foolproof, and I have often caught plenty of fish with nothing showing on the sounder/fishfinder/whatever you call it, they absolutely can find fish and when you are fishing for species like Kingfish or Hapuka that often sit more or less in one spot and wait for food to come to them a quality fishfinder is invaluable.

Learning how to operate and interpret the display is vital, I will add.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:05am
Titanium
Titanium

Yes the latest (and expensive!) tech is pretty amazing - mate was telling me how he can see the puff of sand when he raises anchor.
But you can catch fish without a finder and you would be a better fisherman for learning the basics as well? 
Personally I would rate a good colour "fish finder" as an essential tool in addition to grey matter between ears which is most important tool of all.