Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1 173174175176177>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 3:30pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

..just looking at Sunday barometric forecast, if it rings true it should be good conditions with the tidal current slowing down over the next few days and the spin of the wind direction on tide change midday.

Not sure of the weight Snappa Geoff, I caught a few good snapper that day, top weight was around 18lb but that wasn't this one, the 18lber swam away, it had a big scar healing on it so it was a fighter.

Just getting gear sorted again today ready for what presents itself, some cool new soft baits and some new jigs to try so yeah hoping for some calm so the deeper water can be fished.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 11:09am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One of the best fish finders. Magnificent predator.

Egg laying time right now, then rearing - busy hometime for gannets, then feeding up time, bring on biblically sized workups, with hundreds of common dolphins (not bottle nose) puffing hard doing round-up the pilchard duties, a windless sunny day and a big ol' girl - Blue, Brydes, Minke - I'm not whale-est, I like 'em all, especially with tons of pillies pouring our of their mouths :)

Roll on Spring...oh then there's marlin...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ah, those elusive snapper and kingfish filled workups - this is a shot of just one of yesterday's teasers from Mother Nature out in the Hauraki Gulf.

Stunning sea conditions pretty much everywhere, the bite was rather soft however, a number of guys I know and some I don't I got talking with all said similar. Typically the lure selection followed suit and steady pannies and some kings obliged accordingly. The gurnard were simply huge, my PB in terms of several of the "it's not a snapper it's a gurnard!" Prize posessions once in the bin :) This one not so huge but a nice looking specimen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 5:52pm
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is the gannet photo barrier??
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:04am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

No it's looking back down into the Firth of Thames from Fantail bay. A real thrill hearing the whump whump of gannets diving in beside the boat, but it was mainly baitfish and birds, no dolphins here, a few kingfish and the odd snapper, snapper were conspicuous by their absence here, out wider it was more consistent pannie fishing. Ended up out at the squiggles of the gulf, steady Eddie type fishing, tentative bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:34am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for that
Launched from Hatfield’s due to been Saturday.
Had some good fishing a mile or so west of where you were a few weeks back so headed for that spot as a starting point. Not much happening there so after spotting a couple of whale spouts towards fantail and a steady flow of boats heading that way thought it was worth closer investigation. As we approached it looked like we were heading into the busiest day you have ever seen in the BOI.
Counted 75 boats easily without all the others further afield. Didn’t bother going into that mess so stopped short and started fishing.
No work ups but plenty of good snaps on the bottom.
Spoke to one guy who had been there all morning and seen no gannets working.
Fish were most concentrated in the 50 -52 meter mark on the edge of the deeper drop off that runs through past Port Jacksons. The main fleet seemed to be in the deeper water between us and Jackson’s.
Pink slider doing the damage, blue bottom ship second best. Ended up with 12 good keepers with a couple of smoker sized ones and plenty of legals released to grow a bit bigger.
26 nm run home in glassy conditions.
Great day. Thanks espresso for the intel however I think most of akl must have read your post as well.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 12:59pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good to hear.

...a little further towards Gt Barrier, insane bite, ridiculously good so even I could catch fish. Of the fish I checked the female snapper were well in roe, yet the males weren't.

I've really been getting into using highly lit up lures when the bite is all on. Time top buy yet another phone, latest S9+ just joined Davy Jones in his locker, must be half full of phones
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 2:27pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Wow - stunning photo Grant!

Out today and did OK on the outgoing - quite a few terns, plenty of kahawai dolphins and the odd gannet or three but certainly not a frentic bite. Orange kabura was good but with a few small ones around, didn't want to be dragging them out of 40+m and letting them go with a pretty dismal prognosis!

You'll be pleased to know that I switched to a Catch livie - 'Engine oil' 4" and got a few nice fish in relatively short order. Best bit was my buddy really struggled with his selection of Z-Mans so it was a good result all round!  Those Livies work!  

This is approx where we saw most of the activity.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:19am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Interesting stuff ay, and that that area was seemingly completely deserted a few days prior. Nice snapper there Grunta. I hit a very quiet no-bite time out further, Kaburas were OK but even then slowing down to small fish only, got lucky with a curly tail teasing 'em on slack tide , grubbing along the sea floor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:47am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As always another excellent Photo Espresso! Nice fish..Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:43am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice photo, interesting comment re roe, weekend before last out west was the complete opposite, males pretty much chocker and the females not much roe at all. (I gut all my fish)

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:55pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Snappa Geoff , gives me something to    focus on.

Those Westie males ay Feeder

Hail n 50kt gusts outside today......I know a little premature (like Westie snapper?) but getting some big game gear re-spec'd for when the big striped fish get close enough to play with. Going smaller, more tease, more skirts..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Grant,

Speaking of 'lit up' lures, do the 'Livies' have any UV or lumo components? Does a particular colour, Engine Oil for example, light up under a UV torch?

I really like grub style tails, so am quite interested in the Livies. An option in a bright colour might be a good seller. You seem to have the naturals side of the range nailed.

TTK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:57pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Tamure Kid...yeah I knew you'd be on the money with your input      - the engine oil Livie currently has UV in it (looks rather funky under a UV light). All Livies in the next shipment due shortly have UV in them. The White Smelt in this next delivery will be luminous, as well as a bright new colour which when you see I am sure you'll like! As soon as a I get a preproduction one or two flown in - you're welcome to try 'em. Also the non-painted Stingaz jigheads are made for them, the unpainted grey head Stingaz have UV coated heads, the coloured Stingaz jigheads have a luminous base. I've seen some amazing skute creations with these angled jighheads with and without the extra/secondary stinger hook. A thing I have found very useful is to put a dab of silly cone or super glue onto the jigheads gripper area to stop soft bait slip back from a fish bite, also allows me to have several attempts to get the hook through perfectly positioned, then add a bit of glue to keep it perfectly aligned. I change the entire jighead/softbait rather than pulling softies on and off. There's a 4 and a 5inch curly tail in each colour - so whether you like using a secondary stinger hook back by the curly tail is up to you...btw there's also another, longer assist cord with stinger hook coming shortly too - for extending it back even further, depending what suits your style of fishing.

Here's a pic of the current white smelt curly tail on a Stingaz jighead - you can see the lumo paint on curved base of the jighead.

Right time to recheck those isobars and see how soon we can get back out there, itchin' .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:13am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One day hot, the next not. Back from a few days out at Barrier, one day standing there gobsmacked just looking at the activity of dolphins, gannets terns, petrels..kingfish snapper and more. The next__________where's the party at? Moving around a bit, same kind of area in the general scheme of things. Recovery mode.
Cool little dude came up for a quick look, then back.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 5:33pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Just back from a couple of mind blowing days at Gt Barrier, put it this way, 500gm jigs started fights between snapper and kingfish.

Lots of areas of nothing happening, but lots of stand back and jaw drop. Spring sprang alright, wow.

Some nice snapper around the magic number, and some brutal kingfish too. Washdown and rehydration time.
Half a chance, go fishing :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:04am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Big lures big fish :) , fishing with a 500gm jig in under 40m of water seemed a bit silly, till this guy hooked up. Very cool battle. Pose and release.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:32am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Other gems...magic conditions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:02am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great photos there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:35pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grant that gurnard shot is calendar material, well done.
Page  <1 173174175176177>