Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1 170171172173174 177>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:33am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Time and tide waits for no one, or something like that, so the thought of ‘just going’ when thevarious weather reports for the past few days agreed somewhat that the winds were favourable for a 6m tinny to explore the further reaches allowed by fuel load, and so maximum fuel aboard it was, red totes lining the decks and cabin. Fully loaded.
Of course as all fishermen expect, the mind will simply not allow a peaceful and restful night before a fishing expedition, the mental clock awakening every hour or less throughout the night, so by the time the planned alarm came, deep sleep had just arrived…but may as well up and at ‘em!
The early signs of dawn started to change the horizon tinge as the extra weight of fuel forced the engine to work a little at getting the boat and all the gear on the plane, however the seas state was beautiful, and the wind non-existent making for an incredibly smooth ride, being seated underway in a trailer boat quite a pleasant and unusual experience.
After following the GPS course a while, a test of the auto pilot came up blank, the thought of trolling for a day of three while constantly at the helm meant time to stop a while and attend to that issue, fortunately for someone like me i.e. completely inept at mechanical things, it was simply the little flick switch had corroded, so crossing the wires behind the dash, a bit of tape and ‘bleep’ my robot re-awakened fully functioning. A self-congratulatory smile spread as back onto the plane for another hour or so to the western edge of Little Barrier island, with miles of meandering troll to the Mokohinau Islands, a thoroughly enjoyable prospect given the conditions.
Some dolphins came flying past, and as per good mates, always time for a quick smile and hello before they proceeded, the opposite direction to me. A few patches of bait were spotted on the sounder, but surprisingly few I thought for the time of year, the sea temperatures and general area I was in. So a slight change in plan to head in and around reefy rocky areas with all the bug guns out, kingfish and a long shot at perhaps a black marlin, to grace me with their presence since the striped versions seemed elusive.
Wonderful sights and sounds of surface feeding kahawai were close in to well known charted rocks, rock hopping again.

Simpsons

Navire (south Fanal Island/Mokohinaus)

Maori Rocks (Mokohinau)

The Needles

The kahawai were hitting the marlin and tuna lures, making my adrenaline surge as the reel ratchets lit up, quite amazing to see these fish attacking lures in numbers causing all sorts of white water commotion behind the lures, the mind playing tricks with imaginary marlin fins.

What wasn’t imaginary was the sudden hole in the water just off starboard, like a giant scythe had suddenly appeared from the depths, cutting through the water, and leaving a hole, the deep blue turned to light aqua in an instant. The beastie was unseen by me, and no doubt the kahawai that it was targeting for lunch. The sheer size of the water hole had me wondering whether it was a Great White or a Black Marlin, I had no idea what it was in actual fact, other than it was big, and now, fed.
I tried various approaches to hook into the action, lures, top water stick bait, trolled live kahawai, then splash-bait dead kahawai. All were ignored.
O.K., O.k. time to call the day, and head from one rock to another, this time to get my head down and rest up for the next day’s unknown, and of course wouldn’t you know it, there, right in front of me as I had resigned myself to start the big gear tidy up trolling between rocks looking for the smoothest possible anchorage, it erupted. A black marlin catapulting itself skyward, once, twice, three times clearing the water with its entire body, a glorious sight of a magnificent animal it its element, an awe inspiring surprise right there, not 30m off the bow.
And that was that.
Time to nestle my little boat in the calm hideaway of Burgess Island, out of the 1-2m easterly swell. Several totes emptied into the boats belly. Dinner? Not bothering to spend 10 minutes cooking, just eat a can of Stag chilli beans, a few bits n pieces and kick back. Time to recharge.
The temptation to head further out to deeper water after a stripey won over the idea of staying and trying to tempt the black, and so onwards and outwards at dawn was the call. Lures popping just 30 minutes after first light in 200m+ deep water.
The sounder showed little to no signs of life, for several hours, a skippie or two kept the mind alert as they hit the lures now and then, but the lack of baitfish was clear, clear as the water itself.

So at midday and midway between the Mokes and Gt Barrier, trailer boat wide, the decision whether to return home (Auckland) or back to the Mokes, or over the Gt Barrier took a while to make. I chose Gt Barrier with the idea of fishing my way home to increase my chances of various species of fish. The wind was unnoticeable, yet back towards Auckland the VHF told a different story, a good 15kts wind against tide…think I’ll stay out here thanks.
A little wind gust or two wind arrived as I approached Gt Barrier, and after seeing only one small area of bait that would interest a marlin over the past several hours, the call to chase down kingfish or snapper the following day back in the gulf appealed, I needed that rod to bend.

The wind had changed a few degrees west around from the north so my first thoughts of Katherine Bay were changed, further down and around to a single boat anchorage in a bay only in seen in postcards was found, the warp fell limply. The Tui song was loud, several birds vying for highest volume and most melodic and the water was so clear, 5m below was seemingly touchable with an outstretched hand. Fish life.
Some colourful fish were taken by micro jigs, fun at anchor.

Once the sun departed, the water looked like something out of a high tech animated movie.
Phosphorescent light was the brightest I had ever seen, anything moving was lit up like in a spotlight, mackerel were extremely skittish and looked like exploding fireworks when they reacted to a splash and shot off in all directions, a stick bait was thrown around, the splash was an explosion of light, even the braid line provided a lit fuse effect when touching the water. Quite an astonishing electrical light show.
Back into the Gulf after the next morning’s hot cup, I was met with good looking day again, I think the fish were also making the most of it and having a bit of a holiday too, the area from around the Pigeon rocks to Channel island and down along the eastern side to the Happy Jacks was quiet in terms of fish and birds and mammals apart from some schools of blue mackerel

I figured it’s a fishing trip so a couple of random stop and drops of little lures was made, and here in there a steady stream of good table fish snapper succumbed to temptation. The best technique by far was to put the rod in the capable hands of Rod Holder, lure hard on the floor, and as I slowly drifted along the (80gm) lure would rise gently…once I had figured this method-of-the-day out, each drop was met with success.
A blast back before the afternoon SWs kicked in and whaddaya know – halfway back and my good mate Dave was out having some time out, solo in his Frewza pride and joy, hard case after 3 days , us just chatting across the water in the big wide open.
The washdown and gear clear was a slow n steady approach, mid-afernoon, and by dinner time on land back with my family, all was back to a state of readiness.

...and the little boys waits, the wind and rain arrive outside today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice read but you stole my boat name.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:00pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice one Krow.

It's been too long...
...yet in the blink of a mind’s eye, there she is, big dorsal flag up and fluttering, neon blue stripes electrifying the surreal coloured blue water, just mere metres away, the fish eyeballing the short rigger lure stupefying my brain into a motionless momentary stare, marlin!

A super blue blood moon throwing a skew perhaps, or the stripey just doing as striped marlin do, mess with the heads of humanoids. Flickering its sword almost delicately around the short rigger lure right behind the surface teaser, the target in the crosshairs after just an 90minutes of lures out (which takes about ½ an hr of meddling around by yourself hour with riggers, teaser..s, lights and various other enticements listening to near radio silence as brief comments about invisible fish sputter out).
The previous evening had been spent at anchor, blissful half awake dreams of what adventures, or not, lay immediately ahead. Coffee with sunrise, ready, steady.

No go. Both engines start but no other electronics spark up. Buga.
Slowly back in from a bay, along the early boats in the marina getting ready for their big day out I slowly motored, quietly, hopefully asking a guy on a boat as I glided by “any chance of a local battery supply place”? No.
A wee chat later and my suspicions confirmed, I’ll need to retrieve the boat back onto the trailer etc rather than any possible alternatives. Ah well thumbs up to ‘TNT’ for their day and I limp away.
House battery dodgy, probably. You see it’s that word, probably, and Murphy’s Law and being out wide by myself…but one voice in my head shouts “Just go, it should recharge, otherwise you’ll have to retrieve again, drive back to Whangarei and so on, that’s today stuffed! However, a reset of the day’s priorities and an enforced (mental?) patient approach to actually putting the lures out. The right attitude seemed to prevail and wouldn’t you know it at the ramp launching for the day was the guy I needed to see, who politely enquired as to WTF am I doing retrieving, it’s a 5kt variable day after weeks of windy weather 0700 and the marlin world is our oyster, “I saw some marlin tailing yesterday but no bite…where are you going?! …short while later I’m heading straight in to North Marine, as ‘the guy’ was the Parts Manager (Paul) for this huge marine store, maybe the day was lucky after all? As soon as they ensure it is the battery and not something potentially worse. Only an hr or so later I’m heading out the yard, electrically hyped boat in tow, flat white in hand, one very Happy Chappy!
8.5m’s of glistening boat gently nestled back once again into the rampside water, and it’s smoko’ time, mid morning. A new set of where to go decisions had to be made, several options had been mentally explored in terms of behind Mokes, longer run, but extra gas cans and stay the night? Cape Brett, good water temp gradients, Poor Knights much closer, actually a lot of options. Plan F, part 7b was chosen, SST, time, a radio comment, a previous day sighting. Luck would have it there.
Course set, let 450 ponies in the form of 2 x 225hp Honda outboards loose.

A different approach was needed to this fish as I’m not on my 6.1m Surtees, but wandering around on an 8.5m Extreme, big is good, but it does have some drawbacks, like trying to steer and with the throttles requires drag off/ultra light and go up and back, or through the side window and reach around and back…the best scenario was the side window, not perfect, but good enough.

45mins of thwarting this fishes escape passed, sweating each move the fish made, the rather aerial marlin was almost boatside, fully visible, hook in but the leader also wrapped around it in a nice comfy shoulder harness, flexing and posing it’s flared lateral fins gave it that undeniable feeling of weight, raw power and plenty left...time ticked away as a stalemate developed. One engine in and out of gear, steering as if on a leash following this torque filled beast, my senses peaked. An hour had passed and things were going well, other than the marlin doggedly ensuring the mainline was off the reel but leader in clear sight, so close and yet so far, you can even see the uni knot.

I guess the foot and hamstring cramps can also be brushed aside now, but at the time their unique approach to pain seemed much more vivid. So yeah, all things considered this was, good.

1:40 passed, an awkward position, trying the low gear on the reel approach didn’t help – as it wouldn’t engage properly and kept slipping in and out of gear, so the little 30w was hurriedly put back into main gear before worse things happened, Murphy’s Law ‘n all. Among the many thousands of thoughts of what if’s, like how’s the chafing going on the line, how’s the unit knot holding, is the hook pulling, me circumnavigating the walkaround a couple of times, and what is it with this foot cramp – and other immediacies…the battle waged, the fish determined to out muscle me, and so far doing a grand job of it by still just being at a distance of leader on, nah leader off the rod tip/reel. A few attempts of altering the state of play were attempted using steering wheel, opposite throttles, some of which were even intentional. Not to worry – ya see I reckon to be very specific and careful what you ask for…I was thinking this is the end game, for me or the fish, one of other it’ll end soon… so down cameth a loud crack! Not of a lightening bolt, but almost as eye widening – the rod snapped! Reality is funnier than fiction 😊 .

So it now being one hour and a half hours after hooking up, with a broken rod and ailing reel but the wind-on leader firmly onto the spool, time to act like all James Bond like trying not to get the fingers yanked through the rollers and man handle the leadered fish, unbuckle game belts and rod, engine into neutral and so on. The end game wasn’t like James Bond all at, Mr. Bean more like. A few scrapes off the new hull paint with the marlin bill, show-off scars I guess but after hrs of adrenaline fuelled effort, my energy gauge read E for empty. A bit of a struggle to be honest deadlifting the fish up and over the thigh stern, it was only inches away from tipping point/slipping off standing on the gunwale. Across the cables in front of the twin outboards was settled for. Not entirely happy with this scenario of potential hydraulic steering cable etc damage, ‘TNT’ would you believe soon arrived after a VHF call out for any happy chappys to swing by and give a man a hand. They did and this fishing machine hooves into view. Fish easily lifted onto my boat with 90% assistance.

Obligatory photographs at weigh station on Tuts brought many big smiles, from the happy and thoroughly into it weighmaster Steve, to Steve who came and turned the marlin into extremely delicious smoked marking hunks, everyone seemed so friendly and genuinely buzzed about the only marlin caught for the day, a great atmosphere, even a couple guys I know Jamie and Jason driving up Tuts to catch up and share some hospitality of the clubs facilities in celebration.
Back to earth now catching up with the family’s adventures of the week, awaiting the next lull, 50kts outside, super blue blood moon ‘n all.

Boatside

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great read. Congratulations on another solo marlin! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:44pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Lovely stuff Grant. Congratulations on the catch and welcome back to the forums - your posts are always a great read!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:50pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great reading. Quite an adventure! Shame about your rod. (Liked)
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 2:54pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 3:50pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Magical stuff - congrats!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:00am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey thanks guys, JW, Grunta, Foxtrot Oscar, Salty C and Clifftastic ! Cheers.

With the howling wind and rain of summer storms pounding outside yesterday/today this fish trip seems all the more surreal. After the big day and a big tasty plate of fish n' chips at the Tut club, I re-launched the boat late and with one engine just in gear enjoyed a slow motion ride back out of the marina and into a picture perfect bay, utterly still, Tui's in full evening song and time to sit, and reflect. O.K. so that lasted just several minutes, then out came the micro gear in response to the mackerel splashing around the surface enticing a 'just a couple of casts' reaction. And waddaya know, on a teeny 3gm lure at anchor, snapper

Still a thrill, size isn't everything.

Energy faded fast even with some recesses of the brain still trying to fire. Out.

What a way to wake up, an incredible bay, tired and sore satisfaction, a SUP silently glides past and the day's pace is set.

Pretty gnarly weather predicted over the week or so, so let's see what fishing is possible, monster tidal flow, monster moon, who knows.

Eye eye captain.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 9:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done on the marlin Grant and a great read.ClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 2:31pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Catchelot.
Back into the more local gulf, snapper seem quite preoccupied at the moment, only a few keen, so altering states to target skipjack a welcome fish with visitation rights lately...these fish are so enjoyable to catch, lighting up the little reels with blistering runs time and again, light tackle, pure fun fishing. Got lucky with this picture, no photoshop or adjustments, just a stunning summer day, smooth seas in 50m of water and surreal colours. They're mainly focussed on krill, but the odd one can be distracted.

FYI Mega mackerel baitschools, northern Tiri channel for a few miles, Tamaki Strait, nth Motuhie channel, D-Urville rocks area - lots of the big mackerel and also KY schools
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:44pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

..fyi some good snapper biting today in the inner harbour, a tad choppy elsewhere, Navy area, sth Waiheke, nice healthy specimens...half a chance worth a look...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:01pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work on the marlin Grant.  Sounds like some fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Sambosi - your marlin success continues yeah.

Out in the gulf yesterday, snapper slow as on the bite, so out with the small game gear, light as, and time to eyeball the morning's smooth sea surface for skipjack, and the sounder for krill. 50m and disco...huge fun fishing ensued, even the tiny tuna was hard to get to latch on, but a few obliged.

Good times with tiny little reels in a blur, clicker valve bouncing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:45pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sound s like a nice day on the little Tuna. Just hope they come further in over the next month or so.
Snapper slow.? Is this possibly because they are heading into a second spawn.? looked like it to me a month back with small but developing roe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:55pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Not sure whether it's the sea temps (still a solid 22c out in 50m), the post spawn (?) rest period or the full moon Cirrus, but it sure has been slow out wider, although just nth of Noises, even the Rangi channel has been the go to lately. The kingfish still oblige when targeted, here and eastern Coro and up north. Next week I reckon! Officially Autumn upon us now...a good time for snapper fishing historically.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 7:55pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Best lure hands down on those gulf skippies is the little wee Black magic jelly bean. It's a soft plastic paddle tail about the size of a whitebait. Troll on a light 10kg leader way out the back of the boat ( 50m+) and the strike rate goes way up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 6:04pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Aye a few little smelt type lures would be working wonders on the inshore action as well rowboat bob I reckon (if it wasn't for the wind today I'd b there) along the Auckland nth shore and western Rangi, clouds of tiny baitfish getting hammered by ky and some kings, and aerial attacks as well. I've been running a whole gambit of little lures lately, just for kicks, can get hectic, highly interesting to see what works and what doesn't. Crazy numbers of skipjack yesterday, even a few on the inside of Tiri , but so many spread out further it was a joy to see them blipping the surface in every direction on a glass sea, just trolling along and every now and then....wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz away goes the little reel(s) in a high pitch scream of delight! Light leadered carry on as well. Happy place alright and some good colour photoi opportunities.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:38pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Snapper starting to awaken from their post coital slumber perhaps? The bite seemed a tad stronger than last week. And with the expanse from Rangi to Sth Whangaparaoa holding some amazing schools of those coke bottle sized KY, lots of mackerel - even the young gannets dressed in black and white hopeful of success among the action. Too windy today though.

Skippies still doing what they do, provide thrills spills and frustration when they are all around, and refuse to bite

Great fun (and surprisingly good to eat!) when the magic formula is found, lighter leader helped a lot.

Got lucky with my promised sashimi dinner after a quick nudge towards Rangi channel then just off Tiri and back... 5 species that surprised everyone, even those who were previously 'fish -ist' i.e. wouldn't eat those types of fish, let alone raw   

Skipjack, kahawai, mackerel, snapper, gurnard)...with the right looking after immediately upon boating each one, the result of flavour freshness and genuine delicious delicate tastes was a real talking point. Personally I use a small baseball bat to render the fish immediately brain dead, then allow the fishes heart to pump/bleed out through severed jugular in the submerged burley pot (through stern). After a few minutes straight into the chilly on ice. Fillet and back into the chill out bin on the boat and keep chilled until prep just before serving. And even the skipjack grilled on a BBQ like a kingfish steak i.e. medium rare was great! I was expecting that overly fishy aroma and taste, not so...delightful !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:55am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Some good pannie snapper around the gulf in general at the moment, but a bit of hit and miss, perhaps the full moon pending? Snapper bite has been later in the afternoon though last couple of days, and the skipjack while patchy are around and happy to hook up fairly regularly out in 40m+ .
Have a great Easter and some fresh fish! Yes!!!

Conditions .... magic   

Page  <1 170171172173174 177>