Recreational Fishing Licences - have your say

Page  123 13>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recreational Fishing Licences - have your say
    Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:12am
LegaSea Community Builder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for looking at this topic - there has been discussion on the LegaSea sub forum about rec fishing licences being a key part of the way the fishery should be managed. LegaSea is against this idea. One of our fishing net brothers thinks it's a good idea and says levels of success in Australia and Florida proves it has merit for NZ. Check the sub forum for more details if you want more explanation of the positives of this argument. I'm interested to learn if others feel if licensing should be a key part of how our fishery is managed.

Yah or Nay? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:49am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No. I am not a fan. However, if it were to come in I would want it to be totally independant. No Governemnt/Council/Iwi interference or links to to the Governemnt's/Council's/Iwi's "consolidated funds". It would also have to apply to everyone. Even those New Zealanders with tenuous links to Maori ethnicity.
If it got to the stage where the scheme had excess funds after representing those paying for the license, then money could be donated to Coastgaurd for education/safety et al or to DOC on the priviso funds are only used for the benfit of fisheries. Not Government propaganda.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Whakalocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:53am
Whakalocal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If their was benefits such as maintained fads down the coast and rec only areas and it wasn't just the government benefiting from it it could be a good idear managed by the right people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:59am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes,use it to buy quota back off commercial to restore our fisheries ..Only way for more fish in the water is to take less ..Seachange way isnt in our best interests as they back Commercial ,just moving them sideways thats all  
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:59am
Silver
Silver

Would the licence apply to Maori?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:04am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by LegaSea Community Builder LegaSea Community Builder wrote:

Would the licence apply to Maori?

To everyone using the resource regardless of ethnicity/position/power/religious-spiritual beliefs or money.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:09am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If the benefits gathered from license fees extended outside of the upper half of the North Island (bloody doubtful) then maybe ... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:11am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed,everyone , same as V8 on this 
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, definitely, if the revenue could be used to buy out the commercials, at least from inshore waters. It won't happen though, there will be a license and things will carry on just as they are with no benefit to the people that pay for a license.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:14am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be it $100 or $200 a year so be it ,NZ wide ,all fishers .It may also reduce the pressure with some not fishing as they have to get a Licence ,Im not against a Licence ....But the MONEY has to go to the right area and not sucked up in collecting it etc
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:18am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A big NAY for now. 
Reasoning: 
Too much of the "fee" would be swallowed up in management.
I'd also suggest unless managed correctly (and I doubt it would be) there would be a pilfering off of funds. The dollars would end up in a government slush fund and not just fishing. 
Many "groups" and I say that loosely will hold their hand up for a share of the newfound wealth. 
No, or very little, policing would take place so very open to abuse. 
I'll expand on this one.................
For starters how the hell is anyone going to get caught? Inspectors will need to actually witness the "offence". Just stopping people at the ramp wouldn't work. Unless the person is solo fishing everyone on-board denies they caught the fish. Can't prove who caught what. 
How would the wages, boat, fuel, etc be funded? Oh by the licence fee. Nothing left for actual fisheries management.
If anyone was caught without a licence they'd first get a warning WOW what a deterrent, next (see above could be years) a minimal fine that is likely less than the dollars that would have been spent if the person had remained legal and this money would go to the government coppers not back to fishing. After that tie up the system and have judges that think this is a waste of time let them off with a wet bus ticket. Most likely a ban from fishing for a month or two. Take a look at what happens now with way more serious offences than fishing without a licence. So don't think for one minute even 100x more paid fisheries officers using up 99% of the licence fee would be effective. 
A lot of people only fish a few times of the year and would be bitter about having to get licences for the family just for the Christmas break etc. 
No doubt lots more reasons too but that's what comes to mind for now. 
Funds would be better gathered and spent if we could somehow get the average fisherman to join a network. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:20am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Legasea is clearly being used to soften the impending blow new regulations and laws will have on the freedoms and rights now afforded your average NZer.
Legasea is clearly not working for us and if you aren't for us you are against us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:24am
Silver
Silver

Legasea is clearly being used to soften the impending blow new regulations and laws will have on the freedoms and rights now afforded your average NZer.
Legasea is clearly not working for us and if you aren't for us you are against us.

Clutch, please substantiate your comment?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:26am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fresh water fishers need a licence ...Krow yes what you say is true ..but set up and managed independent of Government so they cant use it as a slush fund ..Yes there are costs involved...

Imagine if all fishers payed say $150 per year ( 600,000 ) ? =$9mil ? put somewhere it could buy quota back and restore what has been taken away ,Go for it Clutch,your right !!
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:26am
Silver
Silver

MM
Be it $100 or $200 a year so be it ,NZ wide ,all fishers .It may also reduce the pressure with some not fishing as they have to get a Licence ,Im not against a Licence ....But the MONEY has to go to the right area and not sucked up in collecting it etc

I think you may find $100 will cover the governance and enforcement costs, to buy the quota would be substantially more. John H noted there was talk some time ago to buy some kingfish quota for a region and that would be several million. By the sounds of things that was one species in one area. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:29am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If we all got together we could raise the money to buy it back..lock stock and barrels..It could and can be done  ... fish within 12nm should not be for export ,this is the problem of the fisheries, over harvested with outdated methods and new methods like the PSH nets which are no better ,only 1 cure,get rid of commercial ,Seachange wont do it as Iwi are pro Commercial  and are in with them ,Legasea are connected .!!!
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:52am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by LegaSea Community Builder LegaSea Community Builder wrote:

Clutch, please substantiate your comment?

LCB, I may be being a little harsh but to me it looks like you are becoming part of the bureaucracy that is becoming more and more complicated.
The Govt. clearly have an agenda and they pander to the punters by offering public consultations and submissions which amount to naught when the appetite for helping us rec fishers is not there.
Seachange is a good example where Legasea was basically given a take it or leave it option according to yourselves.
When your average joe complains the govt. will say ..."Hey Legasea was part of the process...."
Most of us just want to head out into the harbour and be able to catch fish. $100 or $200 for a licence? No thanks. I catch SFA as it is but I consider it my right to do so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:53am
Silver
Silver

MM - If we all got together we could change govt policy simply by voting, which is free, OR if we all got together and got behind one organisation that represented rec fishing interests, that would also work without the need for licensing? The other part of the equation which seems to be missed is that quota has to be AVAILABLE for sale before it can be sold, do you really believe the comms industry would sell all their quota to recs? 

Regarding the comment about 'Seachange won't do it as Iwi are pro Commercial  and are in with them ,Legasea are connected'

Please substantiate the statement LegaSea are connected?? By connected I assume you meant we sat at the same table with them? 

As you are already aware, LegaSea are working on a clarification paper to explain our part in Sea Change. There are a lot of gaps around the process and our part in it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:56am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure, you could buy quota, but only if it was for sale. 
What would $9m get you anyway? 5/8 of F all probably. 

I'd support a (well thought out) licence system, perhaps with an annual bag limit in addition to daily bag limits? It works in California for their abalone, why not here? 

Orrrrrr just push to remove all size limits on commercial finfish 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 10:01am
Silver
Silver

In response to Clutch 
LCB, I may be being a little harsh but to me it looks like you are becoming part of the bureaucracy that is becoming more and more complicated.

Come down to HQ and have a chat and talk to us face to face. The more I think about it the more a few beers for all fish net members is sounding a good idea to me. All questions answered and you can see for yourself. How does that sound? I will be putting up some more info in due course on what we are doing here the next week. (LegaSea sub forum). Please have a read and do some more research on us  LOL

The Govt. clearly have an agenda and they pander to the punters by offering public consultations and submissions which amount to naught when the appetite for helping us rec fishers is not there.
Completely agree. They honestly don't want our feedback, that's one of the reasons LegaSea seldom attends public consultation (although we have discussed recently and decided to turn up more often, even if it's to talk to the other keen rec fishers and try to work with them).

Sea change is a good example where Legasea was basically given a take it or leave it option according to yourselves.

We are currently working on a response paper to clear this up and explain what went down. Watch this space, or better still watch the space on the LegaSea sub forum.

When your average joe complains the govt. will say ..."Hey Legasea was part of the process...."
Most of us just want to head out into the harbour and be able to catch fish. $100 or $200 for a licence? No thanks. I catch SFA as it is but I consider it my right to do so.
Completely agree. LegaSea believes the fishery belongs to the public. The comms should be paying a royalty from the exploitation of a public resource. Rec fishers shouldn't have to pay. We say Nay......
Page  123 13>