Best sounder and 1kw transducer combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote topdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best sounder and 1kw transducer combo
    Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:13am
topdog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am wanting a sounder that can mark fish down at 500m or so. Its going on a 7m Westcoaster so transom mount transducer.

I was looking at a Furuno fcv295 and a custom dual transducer 2kw setup, but it feels a bit over the top

Does anyone have a Sounder with 1KW transom mount transducer that can mark fish at 500m well, or do I need to bite the bullet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote topdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:57am
topdog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ps - dont need touch screen, and dont need chart
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 2:53pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If buying new surely 587/588 and TM260 is going to be easiest?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:33pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I run a lowrance hds7 gen2 with a tm260 and only been to 430 meters so far and still learning the settings for that depth it's ok but I've seen what a 295 with a 2kw can do and for the size of boat you have why not go for it, at least you won't have to upgrade again.
Good luck with your choice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:29pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've just put a 295 in my boat. I haven't had the opportunity to go and test it really deep yet but the installation / transducer mounts / wiring is actually quite easy if you have some skills and clues. I'm seeing a whole lot more detail on the bottom / fish than I ever have before at 80 metres
I'm really looking forward to February . I will be fishing out of doubtless bay again. should be awesome 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:25pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I hear they were getting good bottom reads using a Garmin and chirp.  BME have a 9" fishfinder pretty cheap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 4:49pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Que for Rob from BMEGeek
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 8:45am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The best transducer you can easily put on the transom for deep water is a 1kW chirp transducer - either the TM265 or TM275. The 1kW Chirp transducers are simply better than the non chirp equivalent (TM260) - they use later technology to give a clearer picture with less ringing and can be driven "harder".

You can then hook it up to a number of different sounders - any current Garmin GPSMAP product, Furuno FCV295 or DFF3, Simrad NSS evo3 or BSM3. Each have their good points.

1kW chirp should get you fishing in 500M - but results at anything above drifting depend greatly on engine noise, transducer installation, user skill etc.

The 9" model earlier mentioned is an echomap product, and unfortunately can't drive a 1kW transducer

0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 12:12pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been very happy with my tm 265lm seen fish/bottom in 850m - havent been deaper yet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 10:17pm
Lethal Hooker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Rob / Bay Marine

Do you know when the new Garmin 942xs will be in stock here and what the pricing will be?

It looks the perfect good value option to gain a slightly bigger screen and slightly more powerful Chirp sounder than my current 751s that i love but would like a bit bigger screen?

Cheers Michael

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 10:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry my current 751xs *

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:01am
Gold
Gold

We haven't officially been given any pricing, but I see on the garmin.co.nz website they are listed at $2199. A loose ETA we have is about March.

The sounder specs appear to be the exactly same as the 751xs - which we found gave really good performance - are you struggling with yours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 11:39am
Bronze
Bronze

No no problems at all i really like the 751xs i just want the same thing but a bigger screen. 

I also think the 751xs is only 600watt chirp sounder compared to the 942xs has a 1kw Chirp sounder?

Do you think this would give me much improvement in deep water performance with my GT- 23 600watt Chirp transducer or would it be no / limited extra? 

I think from memory it currently stops finding the bottom around  250+ meters currently. Which is fine for me but would be an added bonus if i got more deep water performance out of it as well as a bigger screen out of the new unit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:23pm
Gold
Gold

There was a bit of confusion about the power output of that range of sounders - at one stage the output of the 820xs was listed at 1kW chirp in NZ and 600W chirp in the UK. I believe the 751xs had the same sounder in it. We've got shots of the 820xs in 850M plus but I don't think we have any of the 751xs.

I would doubt there would be a great increase in the performance between sounders with any transducer, but yeah even more so with a 600W chirp.

We normally recommend the 23 for fishing in 150M - I would expect them to work a bit better on the drift than loose the bottom at 250. At speed there is so many variables I couldn't say.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:44pm
Bronze
Bronze

Oh wow that is strange they had the numbers wrong. I just did the compare on the Garmin Aus / NZ site and it still has the 751xs at 600w Chirp and the new one at 1kw as below.
Not a worry tho thanks heaps for the response, i will wait till the units arrive next year then decide then!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CaleKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:15am
CaleKee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi..i am a new user here. I am learning the settings for that depth it's ok but I've seen what a 295 with a 2kw can do and for the size of boat you have why not go for it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:04pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by CaleKee CaleKee wrote:

Hi..i am a new user here. I am learning the settings for that depth it's ok but I've seen what a 295 with a 2kw can do and for the size of boat you have why not go for it.
Welcome to the forum Calee that original post is quite old 2016.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.