Looking for spearfishing spots and advices

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lapouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for spearfishing spots and advices
    Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:20pm
Lapouche View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi! everybody,
I'm french and I'll come in New Zeland at the begining of december for a 5 weeks trip, half time in the north island and half time in the south island. That will be great! As I enjoy spearfishing, I would like to take some gear and I ask for some advice and especially recommanded spot where diving from the shore (I 'll have no boat of course!). I have seen the rules for recreational fishing on the NZ.govt website (the app is uploaded on my phone) but is a special licence needed?  I think taking a 5 mm suit and a 100 speargun, and my idea is just to catch one fish or some sea food for a babecue with my friend! 
Thanks for ansers. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:54pm
Grim Sleeper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty much, anywhere that looks calm, good visibility, rocks/seaweed and safe give it a go. NZ coastline has plenty of spots. 5mm suit and 100 gun will do the job. Just research the target species here and you'll get something. YouTube videos will help with what to look for I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lapouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:55am
Lapouche View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
Thanks for answer. Looking at the various topics of the forum I’ve found some information on local spots. Very interesting and so many fishes! And seen on the net the NZ sea temperature, whoua! better take my 7 mm top!
I'll land at Auckland, then I have planed Coromandel, Roturua, Lake Taupo, New plymouth, Wanganui and Wellington. That's all for the northern island. And the south... dont' know, may be east coast or west coast to Routeburn track and return flight from Christchurch. I hope opportunities to taste your sea!
See you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 1:35pm
LC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

if you have an open cell wetsuit you will be more than comfortable in 5mm, pretty sure it is only people in the far south who spear in a 7mm
good luck with it, anywhere with rocky shores or peninsulas in the Coromandel and around Wellington is worth a look 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:09pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I live in Invercargill and generally dive the "far south" waters all year round in a 5mm suit. Used to have a 7mm but it was too much and not really required, thinking about getting a 3mm top for summer cause the 5mm gets a bit stuffy. It all depends what you are used to I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 4:40pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tell the guys in the freshwater section that you plan to spear some trout. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lapouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:29pm
Lapouche View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can you spear in NZ freshwater??? it is not allowed in France for any species.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 4:21pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah I was just joking. Technically, you can spear pest species like Catfish in New Zealand. In fact, there is an annual Catfish cull held in Lake Taupo. But people who aren't in the know will get upset if they see you jumping in with a gun in freshwater because they will think that you're trying to kill trout. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Newsmurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 8:23pm
Newsmurf View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lapouche, Let me know when you are in the Coromandel. I live in Whitianga - I could probably take you out. If I'm not around because of work, I can definitely help you out with some good dive spots.
I'd rather dive than breathe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Will I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:02pm
Will I Am View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great to hear you are coming to NZ!  Please Let us know when you are in Wellington.  The eaiser spots to dive in Wellington are on what we call the South coast.  Either side of the marine reserve is popular ( details of the reserve are here http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/conservation/marine-and-coastal/marine-protected-areas/taputeranga-marine-reserve-brochure.pdf)  There is also a popular freedom camping area on the western side so if you are in a minivan or similar you should check it out.  http://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/recreation/camping-wltn/files/schedule1owhiro-bay-restricted-prohibited-camping.pdf?la=en

Most spearfishermen here in Wellington use a 5mm opencell suit suring summer and the 100cm gun would be ideal.  

This link might be helpful aswell - http://wildblue.co.nz/Info/Fish+ID+and+Tactics.html 

But otherwise get in touch with a local via this forum or on facebook (Wellington spearos) and find a dive buddy. 
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lapouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:23am
Lapouche View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Daniel K, I saw in the forum a report on the catfish cull in lake Taupo. Do you eat the catfish after or is it just to eliminate it?

Newsmurf, I’ll land at Auckland the 5th of December, and meet a friend coming from New Caledonia (not a diver… but a seafood lover!) get a rental car and will be in Coromandel the 6th and 7th. I’ll be very happy to dive with someone from the place for my first time in the NZ water!

Will I am, arrival at Wellington is planned the 20th, we’ll change the car for a minivan before taking the ferry for south island. I think we’ll stay 2 days around Wellington. Thanks for the links, the Wildblue fish and tactics is a real teacher, I'm looking forward to seeing these fish! (and maybe catching if lucky…) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 12:47pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you make it to Invercargill let us know, we can take you out to get some crayfish, paua, a few of the best table fish you are likely to come across anywhere, and a very slim chance of a very lost kingfish (comms guys have already caught a couple off the beach down here when netting for flatfish).

we are also planning a dive/fishing trip into Milford Sound when the weather suits, if the stars align we might be able to hook you up there as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lapouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 5:13pm
Lapouche View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Newsmurf Newsmurf wrote:

Lapouche, Let me know when you are in the Coromandel. I live in Whitianga - I could probably take you out. If I'm not around because of work, I can definitely help you out with some good dive spots.

Hello, arrived today in Coromandel, and free tomorrov for spearfishing if weather is good for!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OurKiwiBusLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 9:23am
OurKiwiBusLife View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate. Old post I know. Do you still happen to live in whitianga? I’m passing through and keen on some pointers for a dive locally. Thanks. Ash