How often do kontiki get snagged?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do kontiki get snagged?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 2:18pm
tidz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about some ideas for kontikis. Dont have one yet. (Mainly due to finances) So I'm curious how often do they get snagged? Would a way to lift the traces and sinker away from the bottom be beneficial?
Animals aren't surprisingly human. Humans are surprisingly animal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

you need to get a kite rig far cheaper and no tears shed when shark bites threw main line goodbye kontiki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 5:22pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hopefully Snappa Geoff will see this and comment but quite common from what he has told me,  him and his mates find lost units quite often in Mokau - you have to be careful that there are no debris or rocks to snag lines on - also high current or surf is a no no - there is also "sure thing" which drops line out there and only line is lost if snagged.  

PP Kites sound interesting but you need off shore wind I assume?  What would min/max wind speed be?

Fishing drones sound good but I imagine payload is restricted and if it goes wrong or battery goes flat is an expensive device to lose?

I looked into it a few years ago and decided to stick with boat but I like being out on the water too.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 5:34pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A guy at work bought one for around $2000,used it once and never again .then talked of needing a 4 wheel drive to get to the good spots.better off going on a charter or buying a boat or more fun with a surfcaster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 7:14pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have lost a couple at the end of Muruwai Beach snagged on sandstone or trees washed out of the lagoon we think, you do,nt have a lot of time up there when you have a incoming tide and need to drive along the beach to get home both were covered on household insurance though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 8:37pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by tidz tidz wrote:

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about some ideas for kontikis. Dont have one yet. (Mainly due to finances) So I'm curious how often do they get snagged? Would a way to lift the traces and sinker away from the bottom be beneficial?

Depends entirely on the beach you launch off.
If you make sure the beach you use is snag free, (only sand), you will never have a problem.

Floats on traces can help attract fish, (they are usually brightly coloured), and can help to get the bait up off the bottom away from crabs, but are far to light to effect the heavy sinkers used on mainline systems. 
Sleeved traces are to be avoided, they may help with tangles, but my dealer strongly 
recommended against them. 

Trade Me lists them all the time, and bargains can be had if you're persistent.
As with everything in life, the best systems cost the most, and it's up to you what system you can afford and be happy with.

I went for a GPS Seahorse, and a Pauls Fishing Systems' "Shorething" to beat the sharks.
I bought an old Toyota Surf off TradeMe to access the beach, and have never looked back.

I fish mainly off Karioitahi and have had a lot of success there with this gear.
It took me a little while to get the best from it, but two years on, I hardly ever use my boat any more, and I'm always keen to get back to the beach for the next set.

It's an interesting and stress free way to spend a couple of hours, and if you do everything right, nine times out of ten you will be rewarded with decent fish. 
I highly recommend them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 8:47pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got one stuck at Thornton Beach BOP. It was going dark and didn't know how to get it unstuck. I pulled as much tension as I could on the backbone, tied 4 red balloon's to it and cut the line. I borrowed the bro-in-laws kayak and went back at first light. The balloon's were sitting just out the back and I paddled out to meet them. I used the backbone to pull myself out until the line went vertical. At this point I'd recovered 14 snoods and 4 snapper. The torpedo was 3-400m further out. I towed the torpedo back without recovering any more snoods.
So a bit of line and hardware was lost but the expensive part was saved. Apparently sunken logs are there from getting washed out the Whakatane river.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:47pm
Bronze
Bronze

if you want us to show you how to fish with kites all rigs happy to show you i have fished most beaches in upper north island for last 25years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

yeah we lost two rigs on seaward side of lagoon 3 kites two dropper rigs pass up their fish only bombing range
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hill Bohepa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:13pm
Hill Bohepa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there, I have recently purchased a predator kontiki and have to say it is a great way of catching a good feed. As for snags, like all modes of fishing it is likely going to happen at some stage. I find that trying to reduce the risk is the best option. An effective way of doing this - without purchasing a shore thing - is to use the same principle of a sure thing.

Make up a longline (or get someone else to) separate to the mainline that is around 300m long, lay that on the beach in rows at 30 - 50 metre increments (ensure you are laying the longline down current...this is critical in reducing tangles). Attach all your hooks and sinkers making sure you cover your baits with sand to stop the gulls from having fielday (kids have fun scaring them away too).

Now hook your mainline to the kontiki as well as your pre-baited and weighted longline and send it out. Your mainline will stay on the surface while all your gear will be on the bottom on the separate longline. This means if you do get snagged or a shark smashes the gear off you still have the kontiki attached to the mainline, hopefully saving what matters. Like all things fishing you can't guarantee something disastrous won't happen but this method has been effective for me and as long as you get your currents and wind right aswell as having a general idea of the what the bottom is doing, in my mind this method genuinely reduces the risk.

I hope you get stuck in and catch as many fish as we have!!!

If you find it does work well...I drink waikato! Haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to konti with the old man yrs/ decades ago.. before plastic bags and kites.
He made couple pontoons out of galv down pipe, soldered the ends over..  wood frame raft between the 2, held on with large exhaust pipe type U brackets, and a square sail that could be adjusted for wind direction.
The sinker was held up on the backbone on the back of the kon tiki along with the sail rear stay....a loops thru a fence staple and a barley sugar.
This allowed enough time (around 20/30 mins from memory, for the kon tike to take the line out, barley sugar disolved, sinker ran down the line, and the sail dropped.
 When ready, wound back in on the old garden hose real.

Used to get the odd , jam, a hook or trace on a rock or something, but with a little jiggling and good yank would come free or occasionally break that trace of.
 Sharks going down the line taking the fish was usually the biggest problem some days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:55am
VJB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What is the issues with the sleeved traces?
Why did your dealer recommend strongly against them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by VJB VJB wrote:

They attract sharks.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:12pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What's the logic there? I get sharks on standard traces. I also know of a old boy that uses shark for bait and gets 6 good snaps on 8 hooks. Unless someone tows out a camera and does a study...what do we know for certain?
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure what the logic behind it is, but I've been told that theory by a few seasoned long liners.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:17pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by VJB VJB wrote:

stupid question. What's a sleeved Trace?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think its when the trace has a tube over it.. like that glow tube stuff.
If we drift thru a reef/ bottom foul while stray lining, and catch a rock solid, then a good pull will usually break the trace , little easier if the trace is around or over a rock as well.

If, have some glow tube on the trace (protect form fish teeth above the hook(2) its a damn sight harder to break that trace.
 Draging floating stray lines through rocky bottom would be similar to draging traces on the back of a kon tiki ???

From my post above on the old mans (late 50s / early 60s ) old school home made sail kon tiki

The sinker was held up on the backbone on the back of the kon tiki along with the sail rear stay....a loops thru a fence staple and a barley sugar.
This allowed enough time (around 20/30 mins from memory, for the kon tike to take the line out, barley sugar disolved, sinker ran down the line, and the sail dropped.

This tended to keep the line up while sailing out.
 I also rem he was quite emphatic than when winding in...a person  taking most of the weight pulling the line in like an anchor warp... it had to always have tension and be moving... Maybe it held the traces hooks better up off the sea bottom better (???)
 Was too much weight for a person to hold down and wind in all the weight on the garden hose reel. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:54am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd agree with that steps,traces with tubes will tend to stop the sharks biting through,with will make them thrash more,and up the chance of picking up the backbone and biting through it. I don't use tubes myself. Good point there.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont know if tubes will stop sharks..
 When fishing gets hard, we lay the long line out.. bit of insurance, fingers crossed, save the day to take a feed home.
 Few yrs back was playing with floats to lift hooks / baits off the sea floor, and tubes.. stop having to replace traces so often because fish chew/rub the trace above the hook a little.

I rem several times when using the lumo tubes, a sharks going up several of the traces simply cutting them off.
 My curent burly pot bag, heavy net, one side is now helfd together with quick ties cause a shark hit it a few months back.
 Would not underestimate theslicing power of a shark, even with tubes.

Now only use on west coast boat fishing, on my self tied drooper traces.. help hold the hooks out from the main line.. double loops..  hooks or fish on the hook, been taken by shark couple times.

So I get this right.. never been out bwith a modern electric kon tiki... when it goes out does it drag the main line and traces along the bottom?  
Not like my old mans where had a sinker to drop from the back of the kon tiki, when the barley sugar dissolved ?
Just thinking about that.. I dont think it went out a km or so  like the modern units.. maybe 1/4 to 1/3 miles (???)

Side note: try to buy a proper barley sugar is impossible unless in one of those craft lolly shops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Steps, i am curious about the barley sugar idea. And i dont even have a kontiki. Just in the way it worked. was something tied to the lollie, that would let go when it disolved?? I heave heard about this from the good old days also people who used the old life saver lollies.
Great Kiwi Ingenuity.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Page  12>