Sealions save squid fishery...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealions save squid fishery...
    Posted: 30 Mar 2003 at 9:33pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Squid fishery closed after trawlers kill 80 sea lions

6.00pm
The Auckland Islands squid fishery was closed today because too many sea lions were being killed in trawling nets, Fisheries Minister Pete Hodgson said.

The closure was effective from midday.

Mr Hodgson said about 80 sea lions had been killed in nets since the squid season opened on February 1 near the islands about 320km south of Stewart Island. The limit is 70.

The fishery had been closed due to excessive sea lion kills in six of the past eight seasons, he said in a statement.

- NZPA

It only took the government 8 years to act on this one. And probably because they're cute and cuddly. If they are that concerned about the sealion population I'm surprised the commercial guys are allowed to fish in these areas anyway. Surely squid quotas can be filled in other areas, or the commercial guys should be forced to use techniques that won't harm them. Someone please enlighten...

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2003 at 11:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi Mars i read that to in the Fishing News.... i think the Kiwi comercial guys only know one way to catch fish in the sea is by net...... anything else is too slow or too hard.... they have had it that easy for that long they don't want to change while there are heeps of the target fish they blunder it.... 

Lethal