Folding Net

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding Net
    Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 2:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I brought a DAM folding net with me when I came to NZ in 1960.    It had an extended aluminum spring loaded handle that extended with the press of a button.    Over the years the spring rusted out and the handle needed some other kind of clicking into place.    Eventually I got sick of trying to fix this problem and took the whole handle off.

However I liked the idea of an extension handle and replicated it with the bottom section of a broken light salt water rod.    I cut it above the reel seat which left some of the PVA foam on the blank.   With a bit of mucking around and measuring the inside outside diameters I cut it in half so that the top part fitted into the inside of the bottom half with about 75mm of inside overlap.    When pulled apart the two sections  locked into one 1m long extension.    All I had to do was to fix the folding head to this shaft.    That was easy as the plug on the net head fitted pretty well inside the fiberglass tube inside diameter.

The result is probably the lightest folding net out there, weighing a barely noticeable O.360kg.     If I had to do it all again I would now use a graphite rod section, which would make the net even lighter.

Personally I hate short handled tear drop nets which not only set you up for point loading a rod they also catch on everything.    If you have ever used an extension handled net and seen how quickly fish can be landed you would never use anything else. 

I have been surprised for a long time that none of the net manufacturers has come up with a glass or graphite handle for a light weight (and I mean light weight) net.

Rainbow