Epic Fly Rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mytime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epic Fly Rods
    Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 4:22pm
mytime View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone built any of the Epic Fast Glass ready to rap rods and how did they find it. Im looking at the Epic 686. Cheers for any feedback
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 11:10pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jack Kos on here (Badger) is your man to answer this, but I think he may be in Canada? He is an ambassador for Epic and no doubt has some knowledge of this rod. They are not a rod for me personally, but if you like glass, they seem to have a pretty loyal following as a great company to deal with and rod builders.

Last time I fished with Jack he was using one of their new carbon rods, it felt soft to me, but developed quite high line speed, kinda felt like a slower Z-axis, he liked it and he's pretty picky about rods.

Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:17pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking of building a 686 for quite a while now  - would be very interested to hear from anyone who has one (or any Epic rod for that matter)
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:54pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Asking people what they think of a particular rod is akin to asking them about their taste in women, wine or cars for that matter.     In the right hands any rod will cast well and develop high line speed if that is what you are after.     From what I hear the Epic folk are making some pretty good blanks and wrapping your own might turn out cheaper.    At least that's what I found when doing that myself for many, many years with a whole range of fly rod blanks from different makers.   
If you fancy a glass rod buy one but don't expect it to cast any better than a good graphite rod.    No matter what your read glass fiber is heavier for a given stiffness than graphite.   To overcome this disadvantage glass rods are often shorter and/ or have a larger blank diameter with thinner walls.     Fly rod construction is an exercise in minimalism with weight reduction a major design goal, followed by reducing blank diameter to cut down air drag when casting.   It does not take much reduction of either to immediately notice the benefit.     The only benefit I can see of a glass rod is that you are less likely to break it.

Rainbow 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:15pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I built a 580 2 seasons ago (I think) and it's great. You certainly have to slow your casting stroke down but once you find the sweet spot it feels great. I was turning over a humpy with a 3 foot dropper nymph just fine with a 15 foot leader and I wouldn't say I'm a great caster! Haven't caught anything over 6.5 pounds with it yet but I haven't felt undergunned at all. Plus the bend they get is pretty exciting when you have a good fish on.

They've just released new colours in their reel seat range so now is the time to buy, plus you get ten percent off with the code 'BIGFISH' at checkout I think.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:18pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also the epic rods do have a larger diameter than graphite rods but are very light and the extra diameter makes no noticeable difference in terms of air resistance when casting. And as Rainbow said, much less likely to break them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 8:30pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

TCG  Looking at your picture your rod has that nice progressive action that lends itself to sweet line slinging but only if you are a "Rod Puller" as in keeping the grip in front of the tip for as long as possible before turning the wrist over.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:18pm
TCG View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Your spot on Rainbow, that's exactly what I have to do to hit the sweet spot with this rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 2:03pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys, that's some great info there. Really keen to give one a go now Smile
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 12:06pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've been fishing a 580 for the last couple of seasons. I had it out in the backcountry yesterday, which was fun. So far I've landed some rather large browns and rainbows on it, plus a handful of Kahawai. I wouldn't say it has always been the absolute best tool for the jobs I've put it to, but it has often been the most fun. Just remember to extend your casting arc as the rod is bending much deeper than you will be used to. I think they're a fantastic tool for learning to improve your fly casting too, as you simply cannot rely on power.

The 686 is a fairly ballsy rod to be honest. It's a genuine 6 and a reasonable step up from the 580. This to me is the rod in the range that proves the 'fast-glass' mantra. I'll be getting one built soon, so will be able to give more detailed info at a later date. 

Regards the ready to wrap, it's a good kit and has everything you need. I managed to build it, and I'm deeply impractical with anything like that. So if I can do it I think you'll be just fine.
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'