OK I guess ........

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK I guess ........
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:48am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I also thought trout jigging was for idiots but when I actually did it I found out that there was more to it.    Probably the same with these canal trout.    From what I have heard these big ones are no suckers and are most likely harder to catch than what we are used to.    Will have a crack at them in October to find out myself.    Until then I keep an open mind unlike some trout snobs.   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

I also thought trout jigging was for idiots but when I actually did it I found out that there was more to it.    Probably the same with these canal trout.    From what I have heard these big ones are no suckers and are most likely harder to catch than what we are used to.    Will have a crack at them in October to find out myself.    Until then I keep an open mind unlike some trout snobs.   

Rainbow

Many yeas ago Herb when we were both much younger I can remember you saying " It is surprising how easily purists can become corrupted when others are catching & you're not ! "

It was daytime at the (edit) Waimarino rivermouth & a couple of your mates had been fishing streamer flies using the traditional method ie sinking lines cast then retrieved whilst several others were fishing a large globug using heave & leave. They ( you mates ) had no luck whatsoever whereas whilst they continued to pour scornful comments on the heave & leave brigade, for using such an unsporting method.

The fact of the matter was that they were catching zilch whilst the h & l guys were hooking up regularly, so was only a matter of time before the would be purists were asking to borrow a glo bug. 

My experience was similar on my first visit to the canal thinking "how pathetic" upon seeing everyone there sitting in deckchairs
fishing a snapper setup using either bait or softbaits. Then not long after a guy caught what would normally be called a monster but released it saying he only kept decent size fish which he then proceeded to do within the following 10 minutes seeing this hitherto purist could not set up his snapper rod quickly enough.

IMO the most significant factor with the catch in the pic is that it was caught on a fly as the current flowing thru the canal is such that any drift is over almost within a nano second & even spinning altho your chances are increased the swing is over soon after the lure hits the water.

The bait / sinker method certainly works ( must do as even I manage a couple of salmon each visit ) but flyfishing is definitely classed imo amongst the realms of dedicated purists. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 3:57pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bazza   That H&L episode must have been on the Waimarino mouth.    I remember the day as if it was yesterday.  Horty was standing on the ladder and John from the Raised Hackle was telling everybody how to fish Taupo even though he had only been in Turangi for three weeks.   There were 13 rods and the only guys not catching them were us three.    One kind guy (was that you) gave us a globug each and after that as they say the rest is history     That afternoon  we bought up large on globug material and by the time we crawled into bed we had tied enough globugs that would have cost us $150 had we bought them in the shop.     If you have an open mind you never stop learning.

I have a saying when we fish a Tonga pool and a guy hooks up.   First fish: Lucky!   Second fish: Very lucky, Third fish:  What is that guy doing the we are not!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I go there I find out something new (because I always look for it) and firmly expect that to happen down south as well.   It is a new playing field with brand new challenges.     Already got a canal rod and have practiced distance casting with mico light casting weights.     Definitely will take the fly rod too.    With the steep canal banks the TRC might be the ticket to drift globugs under a Tonga indicator????

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 6:26pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys
 This reminds me of my first time seeing H&L method of fishing..same place.. Waimarino Mouth and some guys  fishing from ladders etc. so my mate and I joined the lineup with our non H&L gear to be catch nothing at all while plenty were catching fish around us. Now here's the interesting part Rainbow was one of the successful anglers beside us and under instruction from him and a couple of H&L flies gifted to us as he left changed our luck and the way we fish. So thanks  Rainbow after all these years

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:01pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Horty was standing on the ladder and John from the Raised Hackle was telling everybody how to fish Taupo even though he had only been in Turangi for three weeks."

VERY True Herb!... witnessed that before! I've known Horty for 26 years after he told me to bugger off as a fresh 15 year old from the Poutu at 5am one morning, formed a friendship that only grew until he passed away last year. The Barry Crump of the fishing world that man, he taught me a lot.

I have a great pic on my wall of him on the ladder at his beloved Waimo mouth taken by Phil Reid.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 8:26pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The real ladder acrobat (show off) was the local sign writer (forgot his name) who would sit on top of the step ladder and read the paper holding his rod under his arm.    He was so confident that on a good day he stood on the very top of the step ladder and fished from there.    One day I looked over just at the right time when one side of the ladder sunk into the sand and ever so slowly tipped over with him hitting the freezing water sideways in a big splash.  

At times Taupo fishing can be quite entertaining.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 10:36am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All,

For what its worth, that Fish was actually 35pd not 27.

Jimmy pointed that out to me the day after I put it in the Newsletter Smile.

In my defence he has caught so many of those big monsters lately it is easy to get them mixed up.

Also, it was taken on his 6wt.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

Bazza   That H&L episode must have been on the Waimarino mouth.    I remember the day as if it was yesterday.  Horty was standing on the ladder and John from the Raised Hackle was telling everybody how to fish Taupo even though he had only been in Turangi for three weeks.   There were 13 rods and the only guys not catching them were us three.    One kind guy (was that you) gave us a globug each and after that as they say the rest is history     That afternoon  we bought up large on globug material and by the time we crawled into bed we had tied enough globugs that would have cost us $150 had we bought them in the shop.     If you have an open mind you never stop learning.

I have a saying when we fish a Tonga pool and a guy hooks up.   First fish: Lucky!   Second fish: Very lucky, Third fish:  What is that guy doing the we are not!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I go there I find out something new (because I always look for it) and firmly expect that to happen down south as well.   It is a new playing field with brand new challenges.     Already got a canal rod and have practiced distance casting with mico light casting weights.     Definitely will take the fly rod too.    With the steep canal banks the TRC might be the ticket to drift globugs under a Tonga indicator????

Cheers

Rainbow

Another incident that you related to me many years ago Herb that has stuck in my mind & went something like this .........

Your fishing group was having a great day downriver on the Tongariro & one of your group had earned the nickname of "The Doctor" due to his ability to remove hooks from anyone unfortunate enough to have one embedded in their flesh.

Another angler walked by & asked how you guys were getting on so having already caught an abundance of fish, you kindly invited him to fishing your ultra productive spot.

However the guy declined saying he was off to see the doctor in Turangi to have a fly embedded in his cheek. Someone suggested "The doctor over there can remove it & save you a trip back to Turangi" pointing to the guy with the nickname.

The guy was initially very concerned he might end up scarred for life but was most impressed when the "doctor" yanked it out relatively
painlessly then afterwards took up the offer to fish with you guys.

Apparently at one stage he approached the "doctor" explaining that he experiences pain periodically in a certain part of his back & could he offer any advice.

Much to the amusement of the others present your quick thinking "doctor" friend simply replied ......"Sorry I don't do backs!"  
join in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:01pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Pretty close Bazza.    I just wrote a detailed account of this and another similar incident when suddenly all self deleted.    Cant be bothered to write it again
BTW this incident happened on the Sportsman Pool, which was the place to be during that season.

Cheers

Rainbow