Nuclear Ship Visit /TTPA Link

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuclear Ship Visit /TTPA Link
    Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:31pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:17am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Anyway, let’s not panic until we get a bit more clarity on what is going on here." - last line of the article you linked

Bit of a non-story dont you think?

Personally the mis-education of NZ'ers around nuclear power has been horrendous at best, and fearmongering at worst. Modern reactors, and technologies such as LFTR (Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactors developed in the 60s but mothballed due to the fact they cant develop weapons grade materials) are safer - and less radioactive - than your standard coal power plant like Huntly. Before you bring up Chernobyl (human error), three mile island (human error), Fukushima (end of life plant that exceeded design specs and failed due to inability to get emergency power back to reactor due to mismatched plugs) you should really do some research into modern nuclear power generation tech.

Personally im all for no nuclear weapons in NZ (I dont think there should be any on the planet, but the genie has been released already), but modern nuclear power is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, and I would happily have a LFTR in my back yard. NukeThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:00am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Contamination is forever.
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 9:52pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mowerman mowerman wrote:

Contamination is forever.

your real name isnt Nicky Hagar, is it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 5:55am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a true comment.I don't care what you think..
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:58am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mowerman mowerman wrote:

I don't care what you think..

and that mindset renders any discussion absolutely pointless ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 7:26am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fact is that point..contamination is forever. .it's true.nothing about set minds.Many country's are getting rid of Nuclear power . storage of spent waste is a world wide problem as it is still lethal in 30000 years.Accidents do happen and will happen.1 accident affects the world. .
USA has alot to answer for in recent years with its foot in every country and wars it created along with destabilize the entire middle east.They arnt Always the good guys..
As for Part timers sny remarks.He obviously didn't want to discuss hence my remark.

NZ is nuclear free Zone.Lets keep it that way

We don't need nuclear power either as we have ample methods here to generate power.
Hydro..still many potential sites / Salt water turbines..huge potential on Auckland's doorstep.
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:43am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep since NZ declared itself nuclear free the World has been a much safer place. Since 1985 there have hardly been any wars, genocide, acts of terrorism etc...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 10:19am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"<span style="line-height: 24.003px;">Anyway, let’s not panic until we get a bit more clarity on what is going on here." - last line of the article you linked</span>
<span style="line-height: 24.003px;"><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 24.003px;"><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bit of a non-story dont you think?

Personally the mis-education of NZ'ers around nuclear power has been horrendous at best, and fearmongering at worst. Modern reactors, and technologies such as LFTR (Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactors developed in the 60s but mothballed due to the fact they cant develop weapons grade materials) are safer - and less radioactive - than your standard coal power plant like Huntly. Before you bring up Chernobyl (human error), three mile island (human error), Fukushima (end of life plant that exceeded design specs and failed due to inability to get emergency power back to reactor due to mismatched plugs) you should really do some research into modern nuclear power generation tech.

Personally im all for no nuclear weapons in NZ (I dont think there should be any on the planet, but the genie has been released already), but modern nuclear power is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, and I would happily have a LFTR in my back yard. NukeThumbs Up</span>

Mmmmmm. Wonder what Japan and its surrounding areas feel about the safety of modern Nuclear power plants?
I was in the UK when Chenobyl went up. A few months later the markets and stores were selling vegetables with different coloured stickers and prices depending on the closeness of the region the product came from. The closer to Chenobyl the cheaper the product. You paid your money and took your chances. Having said that it was not known at the time, but it was also the height of mad cow disease. I still can not give blood anymore for that reason. Mooooo, moooo I say as I stamp my feet and stumble off.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:43am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

NZ is the 4th most peaceful country in the world, behind Iceland, Denmark and Austria. We probably don't need a nuclear visit by the most murderous nation in the world...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:55am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

NZ is the 4th most peaceful country in the world, behind Iceland, Denmark and Austria. We probably don't need a nuclear visit by the most murderous nation in the world...

Your leaving yourself open Cliff..someone will tear you to bits saying that .
The People Protest