Trailer wash down

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Would small gauge "I beam" work? Very strong and easy to wash.

Seen a few done out of I beam, or H beam, you can make anything strong enough if you try hard enough like the C section trailer/s mentioned, but looking at weight vs strength for a boat trailer the box section is generally going to be stronger overall for the same weight,  material & wall thickness especially when you start talking torsional strength.
Not that I beam & H beam can't be incredibly strong when used correctly in a design(used for buildings of course) can take insane loads say verticle or horizontal but will be a big differerence between strength each way depending on what way the I/H beam is used.
'True' box section on the other hand will be equally strong all 4 sides/directions of loading.

Seems like trying to fix something that isn't broke, if you look after your trailer correctly you shouldn't have issues.
( i don't mean  'you' specifically Kitno when i say that by the way).

I'm also no expert, but is reasonably basic knowledge and basic physics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 8:03am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Would small gauge "I beam" work? Very strong and easy to wash.

Seen a few done out of I beam, or H beam, you can make anything strong enough if you try hard enough like the C section trailer/s mentioned, but looking at weight vs strength for a boat trailer the box section is generally going to be stronger overall for the same weight,  material & wall thickness especially when you start talking torsional strength.
Not that I beam & H beam can't be incredibly strong when used correctly in a design(used for buildings of course) can take insane loads say verticle or horizontal but will be a big differerence between strength each way depending on what way the I/H beam is used.
'True' box section on the other hand will be equally strong all 4 sides/directions of loading.

Seems like trying to fix something that isn't broke, if you look after your trailer correctly you shouldn't have issues.
( i don't mean  'you' specifically Kitno when i say that by the way).

I'm also no expert, but is reasonably basic knowledge and basic physics.
What I have read here and other posts and heard from shops - the problem is the amount of galvanising applied (thickness) has been cut back to save $ - the box section idea has been around for ages and worked - this is why aluminium is being tried and that's why so many 70s trailers are still around.  I have found the newer galvanised trailers look nice but seem to rust out pretty quick (say 10 yrs) despite washing and treating with lanocote or similar. 
I think we all need to be asking what thickness of galvanising applied?  and be pressuring trailer manufacturers to add more - I imagine the actual increase in cost would not be that much but would last a lot longer?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 8:41am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

What I have read here and other posts and heard from shops - the problem is the amount of galvanising applied (thickness) has been cut back to save $ - the box section idea has been around for ages and worked - this is why aluminium is being tried and that's why so many 70s trailers are still around.  I have found the newer galvanised trailers look nice but seem to rust out pretty quick (say 10 yrs) despite washing and treating with lanocote or similar. 
I think we all need to be asking what thickness of galvanising applied?  and be pressuring trailer manufacturers to add more - I imagine the actual increase in cost would not be that much but would last a lot longer?

I feel like you've hit the nail on the head here - my old man's trailer is about 25 years old, was a backyard build but has so much galv on it that it's not funny. No rust to speak of on the structural bits... though a few modifications over the years that weren't galv have gone a wee bit rotten.

Doesn't get any washdown beyond a good spray with a hose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 11:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The galv on the old trailers.. mine included looks very different in the crystal structure of modern hot dip galv trailers.
I have researched, talked to a lot of ppl about this but nothing really seems to fit the difference.
Some say it is the thickness, others the prep, others recon electric charge method....
Which the latter crystal structure sort of matches....but apparently this method has less thickness.
The old trailers dont tend to have 'drips'/ dags nor seem to show any remains of them where may have been knocked off.
If on drops a little phosphoric acid (cleaning brown off glass hull or anti rust soln) the drop sort of reacts different on the old  galv and even old modern hot dripped.

So what the hell is the ACTUAL difference between modern hot dipped and the old trailers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 1:23pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah interesting about the galvanising, I have a vogager that is around 15 years old, the biggest thing i notice compared to alot of trailers i see when launching at the ramp etc is how shiny and bright the galvanising still is on mine, and seeing trailers that are 2,3,4 years old and the galvanising has gone really dull, and looks to be very thin.

I don't use salt away or anything like that on it either, maybe it works maybe it doesn't but from seeing mates boats and trailers, many who are less than half the age of mine and use the stuff i'm not that impressed with it to be honest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 1:25pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

The galv on the old trailers.. mine included looks very different in the crystal structure of modern hot dip galv trailers.
I have researched, talked to a lot of ppl about this but nothing really seems to fit the difference.
Some say it is the thickness, others the prep, others recon electric charge method....
Which the latter crystal structure sort of matches....but apparently this method has less thickness.
The old trailers dont tend to have 'drips'/ dags nor seem to show any remains of them where may have been knocked off.
If on drops a little phosphoric acid (cleaning brown off glass hull or anti rust soln) the drop sort of reacts different on the old  galv and even old modern hot dripped.

So what the hell is the ACTUAL difference between modern hot dipped and the old trailers?
I am only going on what was posted on this website a while back that the actual measured thickness of galvanising is a lot less now?  Anyway new outboards are only meant to last 10 years according to some websites anyway Confused so why should the trailer last longer?  
Personally I'd like to think I can keep my boat and trailer going for 20 years if I want to...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:22am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tzer, did you ever end up doing anything?

I'm looking at doing something right now, a bit of a dual purpose system...

One to wash the trailer down, and two to wash the boat down.

What I'm thinking of is a 1000l IBC mounted on the back of my tow vehicle with a little 4 stroke pump, which can deliver up to 100l per min at 2.5bar - not that I need either of those capacities, but having it all available is good. I could go for an electric pump, with lower capacity, but cannot always get electricity. I did think of using an inverter, as I have the battery capacity. Anyway, I think my final choice will be a petrol powered pump.

I'll then have about 20m of layflat hose that I can use to wash either the boat or the trailer, for the most part it will be used for washing the boat, as we don't have huge volumes of water or any pressure where I keep the boat, also good for when doing long trips away and there is nowhere to wash down. Just get up on the roof and open the nozzle wide.

I'm thinking to mount a irrigation hose with plenty of nozzles, that will wash the trailer down, run it along inside the chassis and do a loop at the brakes to flood them and the suspension. This will mainly be used for when the boat is on the trailer, as it is a b!tch to get at the brakes when on the trailer.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:17am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mattyroo mattyroo wrote:

I'm thinking to mount a irrigation hose with plenty of nozzles, that will wash the trailer down, run it along inside the chassis and do a loop at the brakes to flood them and the suspension. This will mainly be used for when the boat is on the trailer, as it is a b!tch to get at the brakes when on the trailer.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thats what I have - seems to work OK - but my trailer is showing some age. But it does not get inside the box section - I stick the hose in there. Just plug the hose in to a garden snap lock connector on the trailer and unload your fish while the trailer washes.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I put garden irrigation hose inside the box section of mine..
 Was not happy with the result.

To work well the direction the hose holes are laid so squirt the inside walls rather than  hit the bottom side and just run out along the bottom , did not clean the walls or the inside bottom side of the box section well at all.
Could not get the irrigation hose to lay well  and reliably.
 The other issue stared to notice was the water under the hose area did not dry out well.

Was going to set it up with black polyprop hose and proper irrigation wide angle spray nozzles but never got around to it.
I simply poke the hose up into the box section from each end to the 1st bend... and shake it as it slides up.
And after every 3 or 4 trips, poke the 3000lb petrol water blaster wand up.
 As to brakes inside hubs springs shackles etc.. one gets to know where and what angle to to do blind from the outside with a good hose nozzle..

As added general protection, lanocote in a pot, thinned so can paint  with bit turps / kero/ thinners .. what ever..
 Start on the outside, and work around just getting to the areas can reach easy..
Then lay a couple sheets ply or similar under the trailer/ boat start one end, get comfortable on you back and work up to the other end .. 
 Dont put on where you grab things or hold on to..
Does not  take as long as you would think.
 The most critical areas are welds/ gussets, cross members and axles, springs shackles, and get well into the back of the hubs and wheels. Also the inside of the mudguards, espec down the middle where stones go up from the wheels. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:56am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I put garden irrigation hose inside the box section of mine..
 Was not happy with the result.

To work well the direction the hose holes are laid so squirt the inside walls rather than  hit the bottom side and just run out along the bottom , did not clean the walls or the inside bottom side of the box section well at all.
Could not get the irrigation hose to lay well  and reliably.
 The other issue stared to notice was the water under the hose area did not dry out well. 

Sounds like you used a soaker hose, correct?

We usually go out for days at a time, so I want to be able to wash down the trailer directly after launching, such that it doesn't corrode while we'er out. Mine is an ali trailer with folded c sections with a return on the inside at top and bottom, not box section.  My main concern s flooding the brakes and the suspension, rather than getting inside anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you used a soaker hose, correct? 
Yeah
 Flush directly after launching...on a busy morning at the ramp?

When we get home, I have a gone in 30 secs  connect to hose sprayer...and GT 18 detergent...simply foam everything up (except clears) , and if dont get time that evening , leave over night.. Another foam u in morning and hose or water blast...
 GT 18 is designed to be able to be left and dry..
Something like that maybe?
Biggest issue with brakes, be disc or drum espec on trailers and classic cars not driven thru winter, stored.. is leaving them on when parked up.., they have a habit of jambing up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:19pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been giving this stuff some thought lately.
I'm looking at building new trailer, and the question of C sections versus box, sealed or open.
I am leaning towards box with holes so I can get a hose in to use a rustproofing wax with fisholene in it to take care of what is unseen.
Make it all bolt together so stopping and rehgalving is easy.
Brakes, I went stainless and they seem to not give me any grief other than new pads at least once a year.
I don't care if the Galv looks aged..

Although a hose thing to rinse the brakes might be a go. One connection with a couple of nozzles
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:21pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I plumbed some lawn pop up sprinkler heads  into the  concrete pad the boat lives on, boat gets backed into its usual spot, turn em on and they sprinkle away whilst cleaning and unloading the boat.......... proved very effective to date
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:08pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s an awesome idea could even just slide a sprinkler under the boat while I’m cleaning the gear out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

I plumbed some lawn pop up sprinkler heads  into the  concrete pad the boat lives on, boat gets backed into its usual spot, turn em on and they sprinkle away whilst cleaning and unloading the boat.......... proved very effective to dat e

I have considered backing the boat over a lawn sprinkler while it is running, just slowly back it over as I put it away.
At the moment though, I back the boat and trailer in a river on my way home from the beach, run the motor and soak the brakes and trailer, run the motor for 10 min use the wash down hose to rinse off any more salt in the boat.. Then tow another 30 min home so it's all dry and done.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:03pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big Dave you couldn’t do moire !!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:48am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Flush directly after launching...on a busy morning at the ramp?

100%. Will have a switch on the truck that runs the pump, hit that directly after launching and soak everything automatically for a few mins whilst driving to park the trailer. Automate these things, such that you don't hold anyone up. Also, by flushing whilst driving the wheels/brakes get spun therefore getting a better soak.

I have tried to put a bit of thought into this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:50am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

I plumbed some lawn pop up sprinkler heads  into the  concrete pad the boat lives on, boat gets backed into its usual spot, turn em on and they sprinkle away whilst cleaning and unloading the boat.......... proved very effective to date

Yeah, good idea. I have seem where some people put one of those oscillating sprinklers under their boat and just move it around. Good idea if you have plenty of water.

One of my biggest criteria in any system I do, is that I can do it immediately post launching, as if I head out for 5 days, it will be sometime before it gets done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:55am
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

...GT 18 detergent...

Do you mean CT18 Truckwash? I use the CT20 Wash and Wax on the boat, which is better for the painted hull. Both wonderful products. I buy them by the 20l drums. the CT18 I use for everything, and I mean everything, except the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Page  <1234>