Trailer wash down

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:32pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you ever felt how hot your hubs are when you stop at the ramp??

Yep.

I am speaking from experience as I had ongoing issues with bearing failure due to another reason I'll not go into.
I can tell you though,that water wasn't getting sucked in by temp variation under normal operating conditions.

bearing buddies, bla

Let me give you all a tip.

Oil filled hubs!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:46pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ah, never had anything to do with oil filled hubs. how do they allow for heat expansion and contraction of the air inside the hubs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be interested in knowing the issue u had to go to oil filled hubs....which are pressure sealed.
Bearing failures
1/ chinese bearings where they have a higher lead content in the steel alloys for cheaper tooling in manufacture
2/ chinese bearings with poor width measurement tolerance so when torque up the std spacer will have the bearing either fractionally loose or fractionally tight
3/ over tighten or too loose on install
4/ Transportation over long distance by rail... or badly balanced or flat spots on a tyre
5/ contamination..spot of grit or moisture either during install or thru seals
6/ incorrect grease or not  correct bearing grease
7/ long periods of sitting with weight on in the one place
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:51am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Would be interested in knowing the issue u had to go to oil filled hubs....which are pressure sealed.
Bearing failures
1/ chinese bearings where they have a higher lead content in the steel alloys for cheaper tooling in manufacture
2/ chinese bearings with poor width measurement tolerance so when torque up the std spacer will have the bearing either fractionally loose or fractionally tight
3/ over tighten or too loose on install
4/ Transportation over long distance by rail... or badly balanced or flat spots on a tyre
5/ contamination..spot of grit or moisture either during install or thru seals
6/ incorrect grease or not  correct bearing grease
7/ long periods of sitting with weight on in the one place
Chinese bearings - enough said, Interesting steps you mentioned 4/ transport by rail & 7/ long period sitting - any idea what distance (is south island Invercargill to say Auckland  long enough as that would be common with Stabicraft etc?) and how long sitting in one place ie 4 weeks or 4 months or longer?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting steps you mentioned 4/ transport by rail & 7/ long period sitting - any idea what distance (is south island Invercargill to say Auckland  long enough as that would be common with Stabicraft etc?) and how long sitting in one place ie 4 weeks or 4 months or longer?

The rail issue originally surfaced in the USA shipping on rail from assembly plants to dealers, with bearing rumble on and shortly after delivery to the customer... I also understand from several leyland dealers in NZ in the late 60s and 70s.. early bearing failure was common also shipping from Wellington plants to Auckland by rail.

Sitting... it used to be common practice for caravan and boat owners in the 60s and 70s to chock axles in the off season. Many caravans would be sited at labour week end then brought home for winter at easter or Queens birthday... While on site they also chocked and levelled.... to prevent  tyre flat spots and bearing loading in the same spot.
Radials do not flat spot as such... pumping up to max pressure and running they will re form because of the softer walls... Cross plys will flat spot, when over inflated will feel ok , but when put back to normal running pressure will deform back.
I DO NOT KNOW if modern cross ply construction is still prone to this.

Flat spots... watch how tyres drag on a duel axle when turn a tight cnr....hit the anchors on a braked trailer, or forget to latch the brakes off when revering, espec up a hill.

So checking bearings....check for ANY play in the wheel.. should be NIL.....Spin the tyre, put your hand on the chassis or mud guard and listen / feel for ANY rumble....and feel the tread of the tyre as it spins for any out of round.

Chocking trailers is usually more easy than most think.
Drop the jockey wheel right down....couple axles under the rear of the trailer....now wind he jockey wheel up and the weight comes off the wheels, tyres bearings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 3:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Steps - like the idea of using an adjustable jockey wheel to check bearings - have heard the same idea for adjusting motor height with a block under skeg of motor and removing bolts....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 7:19pm
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Would be interested in knowing the issue u had to go to oil filled hubs....which are pressure sealed."

Pressure sealed? Uh?

I didn't say I had issue with oil filled hubs.
Was meaning I think oil provides better ,more reliable and cooler? lube than grease.
With or without bearing buddies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:27pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quality grease will not melt under normal use in bearings, even with disc brakes.
although a disc braked hub gets hotter if you have been using the brakes, but they will cool quickly too..
given the huge number of boat trailers regularly dunked in cold water after a trip to the ramp, i doubt water ingress with the proper marine seals is an issue.
bearing buddies have proven to assist, improve bearing life, but they are not recommended to be used with the marine type seal, as opposed to the conventional double lip oil seal which will retain the pressurised grease.
buuttt....i have used bearing buddies with marine seals successfully for years. Had the odd issue with the bearing buddie itself, the odd few shots of grease and my bearing survival rate has been fine.

you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:36pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mate Pete has got rid of his oil filled bearing on his trailer in OZ, as they blew out too often on long (500km plus) hauls....not the bearings as such, but the see thru caps you use to monitor the oil.
Swapping out a set of bearings, my word, that was a fun thing to do at 1 a.m. on a servo forecourt at kalbarri two years ago.... :-)
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

My mate Pete has got rid of his oil filled bearing on his trailer in OZ, as they blew out too often on long (500km plus) hauls....not the bearings as such, but the see thru caps you use to monitor the oil.
Swapping out a set of bearings, my word, that was a fun thing to do at 1 a.m. on a servo forecourt at kalbarri two years ago.... :-)
I live out at Huia end of a windy hilly road on side of Manukau Harbour in Akld - not uncommon over summer season to see several trailers with snapped axles or detached wheel etc sitting by side of road with or without dejected owners - not sure whether to hope that it happened on way out or way back?  Is a bummer for sure. 
Keeps me checking my trailer and bearings - have used bearing buddies for over 10 years now not had a WOF or roadside bearing failure yet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I live out at Huia end of a windy hilly road on side of Manukau Harbour in Akld - not uncommon over summer season to see several trailers with snapped axles or detached wheel etc sitting by side of road with or without dejected owners

AND

Quality grease will not melt under normal use in bearings, even with disc brakes.

I recomn 99% these failures are Not due to being oil filled, or having not having buddies, snapped snapping wheel nuts, whatever... but simply down to lazy, to nil maintenance, expired WoFs and  incorrectly adjusted / installed bearing and elcheapo grease
I ask how many have a pot of quality Brand MARINE BEARING grease and a pot of QUALITY Brand MARINE LUBE grease sitting on their shelf in the workshop?
EG stuff like evinrude triple gaurd bearing  and triple guard lube.. on is red the other blue.
No? got a pot of the pale blue crap stuff they sell at mitre 10/ bunnings/supercheap?
Or have a couple grease guns filled with lube and bearing grease
How many, including your local automotive workshop actually have marine grade grease on the shelf?  OH that adds another $20 on the bill....over std auto grease.
Ask to see the pot of marine grease they have in stock...

Failures, like most failures are the human end of things... not the mechanical
And being human nature, when a failure happens its blamed on the 'tools' anything but the actual reason of failure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I live out at Huia end of a windy hilly road on side of Manukau Harbour in Akld - not uncommon over summer season to see several trailers with snapped axles or detached wheel etc sitting by side of road with or without dejected owners

AND

I recomn 99% these failures are Not due to being oil filled, or having not having buddies, snapped snapping wheel nuts, whatever... but simply down to lazy, to nil maintenance, expired WoFs and  incorrectly adjusted / installed bearing and elcheapo grease
I ask how many have a pot of quality Brand MARINE BEARING grease and a pot of QUALITY Brand MARINE LUBE grease sitting on their shelf in the workshop?
EG stuff like evinrude triple gaurd bearing  and triple guard lube.. on is red the other blue.
No? got a pot of the pale blue crap stuff they sell at mitre 10/ bunnings/supercheap?
Or have a couple grease guns filled with lube and bearing grease
How many, including your local automotive workshop actually have marine grade grease on the shelf?  OH that adds another $20 on the bill....over std auto grease.
Ask to see the pot of marine grease they have in stock...

Failures, like most failures are the human end of things... not the mechanical
And being human nature, when a failure happens its blamed on the 'tools' anything but the actual reason of failure.
I have a suspicion that I have some of the crappy cheap grease will check and replace if so, good point about asking what shop uses, last time I recall it was blue grease but will check as due for a service in August.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fauxpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:16am
fauxpas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why can't they make trailer chassis out of C section rather than BOX section? would make it a lot easier to combat rusting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 12:38pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fauxpas fauxpas wrote:

Why can't they make trailer chassis out of C section rather than BOX section? would make it a lot easier to combat rusting.

Strength difference for starters....
If a trailer is well made, maintained correctly, and washed thoroughly you shoudln't be having rust issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 5:02pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

Originally posted by fauxpas fauxpas wrote:

Strength difference for starters....
If a trailer is well made, maintained correctly, and washed thoroughly you shoudln't be having rust issues.

Good observation.
I have Walu sitting on her O/E "C" section trailer supplied in Jan '73 and its been maintained correctly. .......ie; nothing particulary special other than regular wash-down, wobble rollers and s/s Duratorque carridge added.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:48pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think that the next one that I make will be c section , maybe stainless steel construction. I've often wondered why we don't do air bag suspension instead of duro torques or springs. mite have to do some more investigation........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

We built tubular speedway chassis using s/s, however found they work hardend and cracked, due to vibration and continual stress......

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:15pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would small gauge "I beam" work? Very strong and easy to wash.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:58pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Walu Walu wrote:

We built tubular speedway chassis using s/s, however found they work hardend and cracked, due to vibration and continual stress......

Would you not have thought of that beforehand? Like what would be the pros of running stainless? the chassis is going to be painted anyway.
Not 'hating' but it's pretty common knowledge that stainless isn't going to be as strong (for the same size, wall thickness, weight etc) especially in that scenario as mild steel or chromoly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Trueeeeeeee.....we were young, dumb and full of cum in the mid 70's lololol :-)

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Page  <1234>