Rod to Match Stella 14000

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod to Match Stella 14000
    Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:26am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking for suggestions for a Shimano rod to match a Stella 14000

Will be chasing kings in the Bay of Islands and need something with good casting distance. I am also keen to try chucking a sticky at a marlin.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:30am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why Shimao rod when there are so many other options out there?
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:37am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like :) 

Ok open to other options but would prefer the rod to match. 
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:57am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best best is to get a custom synit van dieman x46. Seriously a way better rod that even jdm ocea plugger which is their best rod. Had a jigging master ocean devil pe4-8 and the synit walks all over that rod
Chloe will get you a wicked black and gold wrap and trim to get it matching like no other
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:00am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

X2 for the Synit VD
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:06pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What weight lures are you looking at casting? and more so sticks than poppers? probably two of the more important factors to consider.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 6:26am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

160grams. 

I like the look of these 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZiCx-Sqyg0

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:27am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

X2 for the Synit VD

x3 for Synit, Shimano rods are very average at best
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 7:54am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MC Works - Seven Miles 868HR - PE6-8 - Cast 60-150g.
I know of atleast 2 stickbait caught Marlin on these rods. I've now got the lighter model for my Saltiga 5000H. Massive casts too. PM me if you might be keen on purchasing this. 9/10 condition. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:21am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

160g baits will limit your selection of rods some will work baits that heavy but 90-140g is a more popular range with rod builders. IMO
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:26am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nothing wrong with the jdm ocea plugger bg. Have owned Ripple Fishers before. My current rods are mc works and the ocea plugger is as good but cheaper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:09am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

160 was going to be max as I would like the try the bonze kaizens.

To be honest I have no idea what i am doing so open to all options :) I just know that I want one rod reel setup that can do most things but I really want to try stickbaiting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kinghitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 10:24am
Kinghitter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by KeriBOI KeriBOI wrote:

160 was going to be max as I would like the try the bonze kaizens.

To be honest I have no idea what i am doing so open to all options :) I just know that I want one rod reel setup that can do most things but I really want to try stickbaiting.

160 grams is a big lure and as above you need a bit of grunt to throw them from your rod.

Synit x46 is a great rod for that reel - plus if you are worried about looks you can customise it to match the reel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:48pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah as others have mentioned, if your wanting to chuck 160g lures the ocea stickbait is going to be too light (rated for 50-150g and wouldnt want to actually cast 150 with it to be honest) but would be all good on lures in the 70-130 range which gives you a fair amount of lure choices.

Obviously depends how much you want to spend too?
Have heard good things about the synits too, but doesn't mean thats the only higher ish end option, if you are going to spend that sort of money theres heaps to choose from.

If you really want to be able to cast lures over 150g, but don't want to spend alot like sub $500(around the price range of the ocea stickbait) the shimano GT special or bluewater stickbait could be a option, is one for sale in the buy/sell section of the forum for about $350, shimano never bought these into NZ but can buy them ex Australia, have fished them plenty on GT's in Oz etc, and for the money their awesome value.
They might not be "the best" but their not $1000 either.

Also Daiwa monster mesh max 832, if you can find one is another cheaper option that will cast the 160g kaizen lures.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:35pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok I will flag the Kaizen and stick to 130gram
Price of the Ocea Stickbait is ideal. Synit is getting up there but seems to be worth it. MC works looks great but the wife might find out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So how would this rate against a synit if I was to limit at 130grams?

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shimano-stella-14000-swbxg-and-t-curve-ocea-stickbait-combo?___store=default&nosto=nosto-page-product3

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not well, cheap massproduced shimano vs NZ handmade, not to mention the alloy alps reel seat and only 8'

Synit is the go, the other option if you can find a good deal, what I have is the Kilwell Xantu PE6 (60-140g), like the Synit;Handmade in NZ, top quality Fuji gear, 8'3, lifetime guarantee etc Very nice Thumbs Up

You spent good money on a reel do the same on the rod!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Dane, i haven't fished with a synit but have fished with all sorts of offerings from shimano, daiwa, yamaga, okuma, ripple fisher etc and if your just looking at using it for kingfish in NZ as opposed to GT's, and with stickbaits more so than poppers the ocea stickbait is a fine rod.
Some may say the synits way better, but its also probably 2-3 times the price, and i don't know if you really twice or 3 times the rod for the money.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the split style top/front grips on the ocea stickbait and prefer solid grips the whole way top and bottom but thats just me( find it easier to get my front hand up higher on the grip in a hurry after a hook up)this is more so when fighting GT's though as generally using alot more drag early on/ needing to turn the fish as soon as possible.

For stickbaits in the 80-110 area(which there is heaps of selection) the ocea is ideal though, wouldn't go lighter than 65/70g or heavier than 130g though.

Check this vid out, gives you an idea of what they are like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNggtJCKbm0
Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hope that helps double Marlin caught on Carpenter BLC83/35 on small boat and boys smash some more on the big boats too.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is a good deal on an offshore rod.. http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/offshore-elite-superjig-and-offshore-illusion-pss_topic117288.html

I've got the same one and despite the 150-200gm rating it's actually more suited to 100-130gm stickbaits... but does have enough grunt to cast and work a 150gm Nomad skipjack popper
Page  12>