Rotoiti

Page  <1 1819202122 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:50am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where abouts were you fishing with Pat Redfinger?

I had another unsuccessful few days a week ago fishing Hauparu, West Bank, and down Hinehopu end, managed 2 fish across several hours fished. Same for those around me, so either I'm temporarily cursed or it was just another one of those things. Again plenty of fish sign, many fly changes, no dice.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Moose lodge was pretty good numbers but alot of small fish. We got most before 11 and after 3pm to coincide with bite times?
Tried lighter droppers and backbone which got more bites but that rig got slaughtered when the bite got good - bust offs, tangles - carnage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:45pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Was planning another trip to Rotoiti to test  my new supplies of UV smelt flies.     Tied about 60 in all the proven colours.    With this quickly deteriorating virus problem it is not the fishing (best self isolation practice) but the accommodation and interaction off the water that is the worry for this old gezza.     Besides I would not like to be a link in the spreading chain either.     Will also have to can my winter trips to the Tonga for the same reason.    Luckily I can still sea-fish locally to keep us supplied with Kaimoana.     At home I have been extending my vege and fruit garden into a small urban farm over the years, which will come into its own in the coming months.     
As I see it the government is a step behind rather than a step in front in its response to this calamity.    Don't get mollycoddled by Jacinda's soothing rhetoric.   This is serious with worse to come.    So the more we can be self sufficient and rational in everything we do, hopefully the better we shall come through this as individuals and as families.   
Looks like I shall be tying more flies to pass the time while in self isolation over the next few months.

Rainbow 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 4:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on ya Rainbow agree with all that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 6:08pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes Herb, they the govt is way behind the play. Their next step should be to control movement is to stop petrol stations from selling fuel. Then we would see this virus stop moving so fast . Without doing this NZ is going to be Grrr not a nice place to be, we are to confined. NZ has only 250 odd respirators. They closed many hospitals over the years when we only had 3 million  but now we have over 5 million a massive catastrophe awaits. Lee and I didn't get to say farewell to both you and Sue at Papa-Aroha, as you had already headed out before we left. 
The hunter from The kaweka's. Take care my friend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:59am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Now that we have been in Level 3 for a couple of weeks and could drop to Level 2 by Wednesday things are really looking up and I congratulate the government for getting us there.     Been our to sea with the kayak three times for sea fish which was a great joy for my wife our dog and myself.     Now I am wondering if anybody has kayak fished Rotoiti?

Dying to have an other trip before it closes to boat fishing.    I see that the water temperature has evened out and sits around 15 degrees.    Not too cold for a wet arse but will the trout now concentrate around the release points or spread out around the lake?

Cheers

Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:43am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't been out in my kayak in level 3 on the lake but have seen a couple out there fishing.

I have been seeing memories pop up on Facebook reminding me of where I was catching fish this time the last few years.

Right up until close of season I normally fish the Eastern end of the lake in a couple of spots within the first 2 bays if you launch at the pipe at Hinehopu.

I'll be heading out Friday evening in the boat for a look around and can report back if I do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:28am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent AP - with the current Akld ban on washing boats etc lake fishing might have to be a go. Im down mid june staying ngongataha lodge with fly fishing club 18th-20th so will take boat . From memory and asking around past reports at this time of year would tend to confirm eastern end of lake better - i would try off emerys/willows, Hinehopu  - probably anywhere from moose lodge around to skids worth a look right now. Look forward to hearing reports.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good cashflow idea for you to suggest to the boss, mate. $30 a pop for fishos to back their trailer into the testing pond at FC Albany on the way home from the briny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:24am
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This time of year sees us fishing anywhere from 10 - 25m from Waiiti down to Hinehopu.  Another spot that's definitely worth a look is the flats between Gisborne Pt and Ruato...looking for depressions/dips in the bottom in the 15 - 20m range.  In saying that we've caught plenty of fish in less than 10m at this time of year too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 1:57pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

interesting Kooza - i dont think i have caught any fish in less than 18-20m jigging. Good to know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:07pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

have had heaps of success on Rotoiti jigging in 12 - 18m of water, good option early morning in summer when the fish push up a bit shallower to feed and early / late in the season. The 11lber I caught 2 years ago was in 13m of water off Gisborne point. It's one of my favourite ways to jig as you don't have to be as precise with your depths, in 15m your 3 flys cover 20% of the water column so makes life a little easier! The only thing is the fish can still be full of fight right at the boat as they can often be boatside within seconds so tests the netting skills haha!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im missing out - too set in my ways! Are you searching fish numbers/stacking still or searching smelt schools - probably both eh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:30pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anywhere there's smelt to be honest mate, i work on the basis that a trout has no business being in under 15m of water in summer unless it's having a feed haha. have a hunt around the western shore of gisborne point in 10 - 18m, i do well there and holds fish year round. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:48pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

haha - i have never caught a fish at Gisborne point! Im just useless...Thanks boss, are you out in weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 2:52pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Going to get down to the lake house next weekend hopefully, I'm Auckland based and with baby #2 due in 5 weeks I have a very narrow window of opportunity ha!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good planning with baby due when lake closed! envious as hell re lake house - come in lotto...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally got away and fished Rotiti Tuesday and Kinloch Taupo wednesday morning in the wee fc430cc trout jigging -slow going until the afternoon when we hit paydirt - 15 landed up to 2kg - no monsters but fat red fleshed trout perfect for smoker. Fish in 20-30m eastern end of the lake.
Kinloch wednesday fished eastern shore fish in fewer numbers but still landed 7 in just over 2 hours to nearly 2kg - depths from 30 to 45m.
Pat swift smelt flies worked very well in both locations.
Great to get away and thanks again to Pat Swift for letting us fish in his berley trail! Good to catch up with him - he caught plenty too to over 3kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You beauty! Nice work, mate. Glad you were able to get away for a good break after a tough restrictions period, and had a couple of good days on the water. Those fish look stunning for the smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:11pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Best condition fish I have seen for a long time.     Cant wait to have a crack before freeze up.     Thanks for posting

Cheers

Rainbow
Page  <1 1819202122 31>