Rotoiti

Page  <1 2627282930 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:43am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get enough for me for sure but the real guns are next level - I heard Pat landed 40 fishing solo on sunday same place i was!. I enjoy the hunting and locating them - fishfinder tells you, where fish are, whether fish are feeding or active, where bait is, whether bait is getting hunted, and the minkota use is vital as to when to spot lock or creep around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:23pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great sounder picture there! That's also a great launching spot with good parking.
We tried Rotoma last weekend but the main boat ramp near the campground was underwater so we launched where you were onto Rotoiti.
Going to try again this weekend to see if i can get better at jigging. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:26pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished last Sunday but scattered sign, nothing much seen on the southern side between Gisborne point and Ruato.
NE side better and a lot of boats and kayaks around hinehopu, fish seemed to want the lighter smelt colours on the jigs. Landed four kept two @45cm with the bite seeming to get better at 3.30 to 4pm
Thermocline patchy in places but around 20-25m with sign on, in and under. Wind made things interesting when jigging and a minnkota or equivalent helped massively whey you had to be in the wind. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 1:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im back monday week - will be interesting to see where fish moved to

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Barry Stevens and i back again Tuesday - fished Ruato only between 910 and 12.30.
Landed 10 and kept 7 for the smoker - nice fish up to 3.5kg as well.
Best flies grey ghost and green orbit - in 25m
Hooked a surtees that gave a good account for itself - owner thought it was a great idea to troll through us then right under us.
Must have been a comp on as dozens of boats out and trailers filled the ramp car parks down eastern end.
Fished Kinloch next day jigging in 30-50 metres - landed another 9 fish between 7 and 9am but quality very poor - mostly small and skinny - very disappointing  in comparison with Rotoiti fish. All released.
Great 2 days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Micsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 8:14am
Micsam View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You probably shouldn’t release those Taupo rainbows Redfinger there is obviously not enough food for them (as usual) so it’s not like they are actually going to grow bigger. If these are indicative of what will be the winter spawning run fish how depressing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 8:33am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting - i ran into a ranger once on Tongariro - i repeated a conversation to him i had just had with a fellow angler who was telling me to knock any slabs on the head and get rid of them - no good for fishery. Ranger said he cant be seen to encourage that but sort of got idea he didnt completely dissaprove.  Yes totally agree looks like too many fish in the Lake for food source- might be different southern end but dont think so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 3:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just back from the best part of a week on Rotoiti. With the advice of Redfinger taken as religious scripture, two clueless Northlanders set off in search of monster trout!

On day one, we struggled a little, but stayed close to our accommodation and were time limited due to family commitments. Nonetheless, I had a fish take a softbait near the surface after I saw it splash and my mate had a hook-up when jigging. Unfortunately, both these fish came off, but it was enough to get our enthusiasm going. 

On the following days, we landed some nice fish between us. Last fish was huge! I was stoked to get one on a softbait, just like snapper fishing! Rest were taken by jigging flies. 

All fish were in top quality condition and excellent to eat. Both families thought they tasted just like salmon!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 4:09pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top effort MB - alot of people struggle on that Lake - for first timers thats a very good result!
Did you see many on sounder?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 4:57pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

nice work MB, & that is a cracker fish.
Did you get to smoke any of them? They really do lend themselves to that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 6:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Top effort MB - alot of people struggle on that Lake - for first timers thats a very good result!
Did you see many on sounder?

Thanks mate. We definitely passed over the odd fish here and there and came across some bait balls, but no big aggregations of trout as far as I could tell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 6:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

nice work MB, & that is a cracker fish.
Did you get to smoke any of them? They really do lend themselves to that.

Thanks Uncle. We certainly did! Here's the funny thing, none of us in two families enjoy eating trout, so we planned to smoke them all up. On filleting the first fish, we noted the quality. Smoked was great, then we got a bit braver and tried some fresh cooked fish which was also great. By the end of the trip, we were smashing trout sashimi! 

Just to give some perspective on size, the smoker is 60x40cm. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 8:47pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff, MB. Superb trout and a good smoking job. 

I had the privilege of being taken to Rotoiti a couple of times by the big man himself, and was surprised to not see him walk out to his FC on the water rather than via the jetty - given his knowledge of the lake fishing LOL

I recently watched a couple of vids on fishing the Rotorua lakes using softbaits, and it looks worth a go with the right gear. We did jigging when I was with Redfinger, and it was fascinating to see his technique of watching the sounder for fish (and using the Minn Kota to stay in the right spots) that he's learned from God himself, Pat Swift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 10:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great looking fish. Thumbs Up 
C'mon MB.  The length and weight were?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 10:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Biggest fish was 67cm, that's all I can tell you I'm afraid. I'm not really in to measuring and weighing fish beyond legal size limits. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 11:07am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beautiful fish and very well utilised!
Hell at 67cm and that fat would have to be over 3kg closer to 4. 
Well done - im back in May for another crack .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 1:10pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Beautiful fish and very well utilised!
Hell at 67cm and that fat would have to be over 3kg closer to 4. 
Well done - im back in May for another crack .

It was built like a tank, but not a fat pig like the others, so I'm guessing low-mid end of that range. Good luck in May, not that you need it! After this experience, we have being looking at houses on the lake. I love my saltwater fishing, but it's nice not having to worry about tides and swell LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 2:24pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MB the link below may be of interest.

This calculates your 67cm fish to be 4.147kg without adding a factor for its great condition.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 2:43pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

MB the link below may be of interest.

This calculates your 67cm fish to be 4.147kg without adding a factor for its great condition.

OK, thanks, that's interesting. It may have been heavier than I thought. I'm a little out of practice with trout. Maybe I'll pack some scales next time. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 3:14pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes MB - my dream to have a lake house too but maybe another lifetime!  I look with envy at the guys tied up to the jetties around the lake  - sighs oh well..
Page  <1 2627282930 31>