Rotoiti

Page  <1 2526272829 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone get out opening weekend? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:38am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Too much rain for me... I did go for a drive Saturday morning though. The boatramp at Otaramarae was quieter than I expected, but on the other side of the lake there were a few boats lurking about Ruato. Hopefully some reports will surface soon...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im there Monday so will report - heard that NON smelt flies were working which is a bit strange.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 2:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of a fail sorry first up this season - one nice fish from narrows and 2 from west bank. Very poor effort but we had trouble finding smelt let alone the trout up that end of the lake anyway. Next day were in Kinloch taupo for a few hours and managed 7 so was a bit better. Fish for the smoker - biggest 2.3kg- need to do better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Galleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:40pm
Galleyano View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out on both days on opening weekend just for a couple of hrs and got 3 nice fish each time. Rotoiti was flat with no wind so conditions were not to bad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:53am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Popped out yesterday afternoon for a late afternoon evening fish, first time the boat has been out of the shed sine May.

Forecast was 10kts west easing to 5 in the evening.

It was probably blowing around 15 from the west when I got on the water around 4.30 to 5ish.

Had a cruise around looking for fish on the sounder and noticed a couple at west bank but not enough to get me to excited.

Tried a number of spots as I headed east.  There were a few at Moose Lodge but not enough to excite me.

Wasn't until I got down towards Hinehopu that the sounder really filled up with fish.

The lake was a little rough with the wind and there was quite a chop around the point.  I tried jigging with the drogue out to slow me down but only got one touch.

Decided to tow a lure and hooked up on a black and gold tassie.  Changed over to a pink tassie and landed 3 fish on the lure and 1 on a fly.  They were all in pretty good condition and appeared to be swimming in 15 to 20 metres depth according to Mr Lowrance.

Nice to get the boat on the water and get away from SWMBO for a few hours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 4:33pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Report FB - yes tricky trying to jig in the wind with the fast drift without a minkota to spot lock you. I watched a guy last year Gisborne pt down rigging just cleaning up fishing same area we were jigging while it was quite slow for us. 
My spies are telling me much what you have stated- more fish eastern end than western end but bite is pretty hit or miss - good one week and slow next. Cant wait until i get down there next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Galleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:31pm
Galleyano View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Like you FB I have had alot of luck trolling with a downrigger so far this season . I live at Hinehopu so do my fishing down that end . Great fishing around the Waieti stream when wind allows and lately along the cliffs is going well . If you see a little yellow stability down the give me a wave .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote far call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 5:11pm
far call View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On rotoiti boxing day. Super hot. Fished the narrows and the hole. Managed 6 2 to 3kilo fish. Fish did not fight well but still shot off on release. Do you think water temperature or the fact that the lake is really green (algae bloom?) Would have anything to do with poor fight?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Galleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 6:42am
Galleyano View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It sounds like you had a good time yesterday mate. Trout are not keen on the warm water and I think like you find they can be sluggish in those conditions. Not sure about the bloom , it's not supposed to affect the trout so I have heard but am no expert. I take it you were jigging yesterday, I still am having more success with my downrigger at my end of the lake but will see what happens. At least the weather seems to have come right for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:55am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Galleyano, I'm keen to dust off my downrigger and head over to the lake in the next week. Do you target a particular depth or are you using your sounder and adjusting the depth as needed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 12:44pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Snuck out yesterday afternoon for a late afternoon evening fish.  Went to West Bank where there were plenty of fish on the sounder and plenty of boats.  I watched the boats around me hooking fish after fish while I changed fly after fly and caught zilch.  After putting my 3rd jack spratt pattern on and second ginger mick I finally managed to start hooking into them.

Ended up with a few for friends & neighbours as well as some for the smoker.

The fish have been in pretty good condition to date.

I did notice that the new seal at Otamarae boat ramp was really sticky and stuck to everyones footwear.  I suspect this issue is only going to get worse as summer comes on if the council does not address it.  I left them a message so they are aware of the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 1:00pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was also out yesterday on Rotoiti with a friend and his young daughter that had never caught a fish before.
Early start from Hinehopu and fished around that area and the bays on the northern side from there.

Water was very warm at the surface, starting at 20.4 degrees at 7am and getting to 21.7 by 11am. Lots of fish very deep as a result and the thermocline was between 15-20m in most area's. Fish seemed concentrated in certain area's in the morning but seemed to spread out later on in the day

If fish weren't on the bottom they were mostly between 25-35m, some just above/below near the thermocline. We had great results using the downrigger at 25-30m and managed to get 3 x 55cm hens for the young lady (i think she's hooked if you'll pardon the pun). Fish were in great condition - between 4.5 and 5.5 lb, and we managed to hook another with 7 colours of lead line out with the lure somewhere in/near the thermocline.
Black/gold tassie and pink frog seemed to have good results, finished by midday.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Galleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:58pm
Galleyano View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there Mossy I usually look at my sounder to see where the thermocline is and fish in that depth but if I see fish consistently at at different depth will try that depth and see what happens. Have been finding the tassie devil in the Xmas tree colours red and gold have been working for me and generally at around 50 feet. Good luck mate and will look forward to hearing how you get on .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 4:20pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out from Hinehopu on Saturday and fished around that area, lots of sign and thermocline at about 18-20m.
Lots of hookups at 25m on the downrigger and boated and returned 3 (approx 55cm) from 12.30 - 12.45pm. All the jet skis and boat noise didn't seem to scare the fish, they must be used to the noise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 2:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished thur friday 16th 17th jigging mostly up eastern end of lake. 19 landed thur 18 landed friday - pretty steady fishing, best 2.77kg (6lb) . Smelt flies going well, fish in 25m - good numbers of fish showing around hinehopu but best fishing was amongst smelt patches and only one or two showing - go figure. Attention to detail with droppers and watching sounder closely as usual the key. Kept a handful for the smoker and released the rest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 2:39pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 2:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 5:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done again Redfinger. You sure have that place worked out Thumbs Up
Page  <1 2526272829 31>