Rotoiti

Page  <1 2324252627 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a  mate of mine got a 7lb brown near there jigging in shallow and he was a novice - be a few big crocodiles in there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:48pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

With the sea being so warm I have been tossing up to have an early tuna look see or a flick at Rotoiti.    Weater is too crappy to go out wide so  I am finally going to make it to Rotoiti for 4 days from Thursday.    Checked the  electronics and only found one rotten wire, otherwise everything was working fine.     Has anybody fished there lately?    Since I will fish from a kayak I would appreciate any advice of where the fish are at the moment.     Otherwise it takes a lot of paddling and time wasted to find them.     Weather should be getting better as well.     Expect a few boats from Auckland over the weekend.   

To all of you: " Have a Merry Christmas and Lots of Big  Fish Next Year

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right time Rainbow - a very well known local identity landed more than 50 a week ago in an afternoon (just about all released) - fishing obviously very good with great numbers in certain places - 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:44pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Last Sunday

Location is pretty obvious, plenty in the 10-20 metres, this one was on a grey ghost, first time trout fishing for the angler

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:13am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice photo FB- has fishing been good for you too?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:39am
Gold
Gold

First time out in the kayaks for a couple of years and it took me a while to come to terms with the sounder that has some updated software - was like driving a brand new sounder so it was not till the end of our session that I managed suss out the technology and locate the fish.

I noticed plenty there on may way back to the beach.

We did pop out with the boat a month or two back and picked up a few fish one evening in honeymoon bay, but they were a bit on the light side.

We may head back out again next Sunday if the stars align, but at this stage it looks like the breeze may be from the south west so we may chose another location that is sheltered for the kayaks as they get blown around in the wind a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 11:51am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Returned Monday from my first Rotoiti trip.   Was blown about by 15-20knot west/southwesterlies for three days and could not fish the Hole where all the fish were according to “you know who!”

Had a good session at Westbank but every time I hooked up I was blown 500m downwind with the fish acting like a drogue   Then struggled to paddle back over the fish.  According to the guru the fish were at the Hole but the wind was too strong for me to even try to fish there.

On my last day I found good fish close in at Hauparu with my best one a 9lbs Koura eater.   Only after I killed it I saw it was fully finned and felt quite bad about not releasing it.   Back at the hatchery I showed it to Mark who said I was one of their hatchery fish that was not fin clipped because they had operational problems because of Covid.   So look for a worn dorsal fin if you catch what you think is a wild fish.   

Throughout my fishing life I have always discovered something new (because I look for it!!!)  On my last day at Hauparu I watched a couple of guys pulling up fish after fish.  They had their eyes constantly on their sounder and their hands on their reel forever winding up or letting line out.   Later I found out that they used line counter reels and were accurately targetting fish as soon as they appeared on the screen.  Makes more sense than my rainbow braid with 10m colour changes.   I only vaguely know where my flies are.   Looks like a good Christmas stocking item.  Has anybody got good info on what brand or model.   I saw some on Ali Expess, which were much cheaper   Are they any good????

Merry Christmas to All.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 12:56pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Herb, I have a Shimano Engetsu line counter reel & it works just fine.
However, a good sounder will do the job, showing exactly where the sinker is.

An idea for you to try perhaps, whip some contrasting tying thread at 15 & 25 mtrs for a more accurate indication of where your flies are.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 10:20am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the Daiwa digital reel  version (because Pat does-lol) i will send you model number when get another look at it. My other reels just normal overhead coloured braid - braid also marked to take into account leader length- 15, 20 25 30m- if sounder set up right most of the time you should be able to see your sinker so you know exactly where you are.

Yes crucial to success especially when fishing is slow to monitor electronics like a hawk.
what depth is fish sign? are the fish moving up and down? or just staying one depth stationery. Smelt - scatterred sign indicating being broken up by feeding trout or just a uniform mass spread across water column.

If sign moving up and down they more likely to be actively feeding and more likely to take. The shape of the fish arches will tell you what fish are doing too - straight line = lying doggo. Many times we see fish on screen appear and move up or down some distance to just look at flies or take , quite exciting.

And the creep function of the minkota i use is invaluable- when fishing slow-you can drop flies infront of fish that appear uninterested but slowly creeping away often instigates a strike.
9lb a very good fish Rainbow- you dont need my help mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 4:03pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks guys for all the tips.     I can see my sinker most often on windless days.   Unlike your minkota  I need to hold over the fish with paddle strokes and on windy days I move too much to remain dead vertical to see my sinker.    Your reels cost between $300-400, a bit much for me to only use 3-4 times a year for trout jigging.    I decided to try anAli Express one for $70.     It will only be used in fresh water and should last some time if looked after.     As long as the line counter works I shall be happy.     Trout are such poor fighters and dont challenge even the poorest reel drag.    In the canals some locals pull out 25+lbs rainbows with #14 grub hooks, 6mm silicone eggs tied on 6lbs fluoro tippets.     

Last Monday hoping for some early tuna  I paddled with my mates a total of 41km.      Furthest out was 95m but we never saw a fin all day.    Only to learn the next day that just up the coast they were catching them in 35m.    Thankfully battling a steady 15knots westerly for three day at Rotoiti proved to be good muscle training.   

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 9:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I use Black Magic rainbow braid.  The lightest it comes in is 12lbs, so that's what I use.  It has markings every meter.  I measure the distance between the last colour change and the middle fly (out of 3), and mark this on the butt of my rod.  Let's say it's 6m and the fish are at 30m.  Let out the line and watch the first colour change (6m) then 2nd (16m) and third (26m).  Then let out 4m more using the 1m marks.

If you get sick of this and don't want to fork out $300+ for a reel, consider the Dam line counter (about $35 in NZ).
It clamps on the rod and the braid passes around a small wheel.  It has reasonable reviews and if I try it out on jigging I'll post about it here.  I'll be at Taupo tomorrow and if my wheedling skills are any good I might be jigging at the Horomatangi reef.  Last time in Taupo we jigged off Wharewaka Point and got some good fat trout.  If the host has final say, we'll probably be harling off Waitahanui, which is quite productive.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:49am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The Dam line counter mentioned above is pretty good.  We had a fishfinder showing between 25 and 60m, and the Dam agreed to within 2 meters every drop.

Only downside was at one point the line got tangled around the Dam, wrapped around at least twice with some of the guideposts not on the right side.  It stopped the line from going out, but only took half a minute to sort out.  This was during approx 1 hour of fishing.

I got my wish and we went to the Horomatangi reef.  There was a very light SW wind blowing, so we went to the SW of the marker and drifted up the contours.  First drift 47 to 35m, first fish within about 5 seconds.  For more info see "Taupo for a Change".
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 1:43pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spent last Thursday and Friday at Rotoiti jigging.
Thursday very trying conditions with south east up to 15-20 knots - minkota having to work like hell - fishing was slow with about 13 landed with fish being quite mixed in quality - alot of small. Found and caught fish at Moose lodge and off emerys store in 25m
Friday much better conditions - good bite early on at moose lodge- couple of 6.5  pounders and fish generally bigger and better . Went quiet mid morning so went on a tiki tour - not much seen in a few spots so back at lunch time with another 3 good fish at moose - landed about 15.
Best flies Grey ghost and yellow lady - most fish 20-30m - tonnes of smelt present on fish finder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 8:18pm
Gold
Gold

Popped out to Rotoiti this afternoon to try out the new pre-loved boat on the lake.

Did not get it very far as there was plenty of sign at west bank

Grey Ghost and Ginger Mick snagged a few trout and the woolly bugger did not get a touch

Fish are in good condition and it was good to get out there before Auckland arrives for the long weekend

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report FB - NOt many reports on here anymore which is sad. Yes i hear the lake is fishing well - heard 3 over 4kg from one outing a bit further down the lake very recently from one of the guru fisherman down there.
iM there tuesday so hope to get a good report in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 9:48am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks guys for the update.      Now that the tuna season is coming to an end I am refocussing on trout with a trip to Rotoiti  in line with a good weather window and accommodation arrangements.     Weather/wind reports have not been very encouraging for kayak jigging.      

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 9:44am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice day tuesday jigging along eastern shore - plenty of fish showing gisborne pt, waieti and transformer and of course moose lodge.  Better bite in pm.  Nearly equaled my PB Rainbow with a cracker 3.8kg Rainbow in last drop of day - had 2 on and one broke off. Lost another biggie that greyhounded across water before breaking dropper. Pat swift smelt flies the way forward - fishing quite slow late morning and middle of day . Quite a few smaller fish too which was a surprise - i landed about 11- my mate 2 and we kept about 6.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 9:31pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Had three calm days at Rotoiti with plenty of fish showing at Moose Lodge all around the drop offs.    However fishing was hard throughout the day with only the odd fish taking the flies.    Only got 4-5 per day but most of them were big with the best a jack just under 4kg.     Was tempted to stay Thursday but body was aching from sitting in the yak the whole day.    All fish were full of big smelt with the big one also had a small trout half digested.    Interesting most smelt were fresh so must have been taken at night or early morning.    Grey Ghost or Slimy Ghost scored most fish.      The rangers tell me that on a recent smelt survey at Tarawera they recorded big schools of smelt.     Fish condition is also improving.     Will post pix once I have downloaded from the camera.

Tuna just about gone so my next focus is on the Tongariro.    I holding a Spey casting clinic for TALTAC members in June    
dGood response as the clinic is already booked out.

Cheers

Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:54pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Rainbow- interesting that most of your fish were big- most of ours were average i have to say. Still got a couple of crackers though and dropped a few pearlers too. Concur 100% on fly choice as well. 
We fished next day at Kinloch -  i hooked and lost the biggest fish i have hooked on jig - beast of a fish - ran 3 times b4 busting me. Wish i had seen it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:09pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

HI Redfinger.       Ever wondered about the different condition of Taupo trout     No I am not talking about recovering fish vs pre spawner maidens.      Only maiden fish.      Some are really fat and bigger while others smaller and not in as good condition.     I have had a discussion with Michael the scientist about satellite photos of Phytoplankton, which are a good indication of a food chain where big game fish like marlin hang out.     Told me that in the lake plankton concentrations were too low but he was monitoring the currents in the lake.    He sent me an aerial shot of the lake showing a current patterns the shape of a Koru.    This current transports nutrients on which the food chain depends.   Why am telling such a long winded story?     This photo clearly shows that food is not evenly distributed in this enormous lake.     Imagine a fingerling arrives in the lake from its spawning stream.    It does not know where it is or if it is in a low or high nutrient part of the lake.     Taupo trout grow about 1mm per day      If that fingerling spends some time in a nutrient poor area with a depleted food chain its growth rate will not be as good as the lucky one that enters the lake in a food rich area.     This is a real lottery  that at least in part accounts for the remarkable condition difference.      I fish the Tongariro every winter and have seen it every winter.     Of course when smelt do poorly this phenomenon shows up even more.      It is also well know that Koura eaters are often bigger and in much better condition.     So why don't more starving trout target Koura??????   Especially when smelt are scares as it happened after 2005 at Taupo.     

In a small lake like Rotoiti not only are there tons of big smelt the trout move constantly around to follow them so there are no starving orphans left behind and all fish (par post spawners)are in good conditions.  

Getting back to my trip to Rotoiti, most of the smelt in the gut were double the size of my smelt #10 flies that caught fish.     My bigger flies hardly got any.

Cheers

Rainbow

Page  <1 2324252627 31>