Rotoiti

Page  <1 2223242526 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:35am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any updated intel on the lake at the moment? Heading down tomorrow morning for a few days, anyone know if many are being caught from the shore?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished Thursday - bloody minkota remote died so was on the drift - caught fish at Gisborne point right next to ramp, and at Moose lodge. Insane bite there- had about three or 4 boats around us and at one time 4 people hooked up at once! Fish up to 3.1kg and at one time looked like 100 fish under the boats .

Friday the moose lodge fish had scattered - still picked up 5-6 there right up in shallows - 15-20m on the drift. Went across lake northern side and picked up another 3-4 in random spots following smelt schools was order of morning but fishing harder for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 1:29pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Set myself a new PB for shallowest fish caught jigging on the weekend, 8m haha. Caught a few in 10 - 15m off Gisborne point also. Tried around Hinehopu end too, few on the sounder around the slip etc but they weren't interested... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 1:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes we met up with Pat Swift not far from the slip, transformer  to start with - he had 5-6 to 7lb there - early thur am.
Yes i have never caught fish that shallow - we just followed the split up smelt schools into the shallows with fish arch or two over them.
Good fun and probably one of the best bites this year at moose lodge thur early pm - they vanished overnite though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 3:32pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hows that for a screen shot of plenty of fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:41am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

that's what you like to see, i was mucking around in the wrong part of the lake clearly!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 10:34am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They did vanish overnite!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:34am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My last trip tomorrow on Lake before it closes - report coming in a few days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last trip for this season yesterday - cold southerly made it challenging and really needed the minkota . Fish took a bit of finding but found some at the tRansformer and moose lodge - much shallower than normal.  Successful flies were grey ghost, orange rabbit, green orbit, fuzzy wooly bugger and ginger mick - pat swift flies. One greedy fish took two flies!   Up to 2.5kg - landed 12, released a few and  kept these for the smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 7:08pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oh man there are some good fish there. Enjoy the feast and well done you! Just a awesome lake and region really, bet you enjoyed to the max. Life huh 👍
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:41pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep - my mate Barry was with me and to be honest he takes most of the fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 10:50am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done RF and Barry.  Excellent condition and size - yum!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 6:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another season done and dusted - interested what other users thought of fishing in the Lake.
 Most consistent spot - Hauparu bay / moose lodge
Biggest fish  - pb of 4kg from Russells point , just east of vercoes farm
Spot review - narrows - never really slayed them here but b4 xmas some nice fish caught here. Very limited room and you have to be right on the spot - hard spot to fish
West bank - Pretty average really, a few fish seen here but never really fired for me
The hole - dont think i caught much here this season
Vercoes - did get some really good fish here, fished best for me jan- march. The outside drop off in 25-30m really had its moments
Russells hole - between vercoes and Russells point, if smelt showing worth a crack - got a few fish late in season
Russells point - just south of vercoes got my pb 4kg fish here, look for the punga on the point , can find fish out at 30m or in the shallows on weed bank 20m or less- seem to be scattered a bit but was pretty consistent for me.
The sKIDS - a couple of good days here around xmas feb - hard up against the slip was the go in 25m
tHE PIPE / SLIP - not much fishing done here, got a couple close to ramp but nothing special
Transformer - did ok here late in season fishing shallow chasing smelt schools but overall not alot of time here
The stream - near the shop on main road - pretty quiet 
Gisborne point - had a good day only a few hundred metres from the ramp drifting offshore in a fresh breeze - green flies
Ruato - still yet to land a fish here despite many people claiming this spot very good - saw plenty on sounder.
Hauparu / moose lodge - the standout - most of the season good numbers of fish showing here- some days hard to get to bite but some awesome days too - fished well to the end of the season - most of the time fish 25-30m but last trip we got them right in shallow 15m on the small smelt schools

Best flies - grey ghost most of the year, late season mix it up a bit, wooly bugger, green orbit, rabbit , killer styles

Already looking forward to next season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:28pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

nice appraisal Russell.
Makes me feel even slacker, having only made it to the lake once this season.
I aim to do better next year.
cheers bud, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote evgensk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:35am
evgensk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for your detailed information
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 3:54pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great summary Russell.  I try to get down there at least once next season.  Does the whole lake close until 1st October?
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes back again in October - limited shoreline fishing available but no boats. Strange really when fishery is a put and take one with stocked fish. Cant really see the issue with winter boat fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:27am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good summary there Redfinger, for me was a pretty quiet season with newborn number 2, consisted mainly of quick 1-2 hour missions when time allowed. Had some great fishing at West Bank over the peak of Summer during the bite times, and also had a decent amount of success in the Gisborne Point area. What would of been my best fish of the season was pre-maturely released halfway through the fight. Plenty of 4 - 6lb fish but nothing big for us this season. Next season I'd love to put some time in finding some reliable spots for catching them on the fly rod outside of spawning season, I tend to do the bulk of my fly fishing between June - August but have had year round success on many of the other lakes, just need to put the jigging rod down for long enough to work it out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes me too with the fly rod - i know i can hit 17-20m pretty easy with my 40 plus fly line and i know Pat caught a few in the thermocline when i issued him a challenge to catch some of these big rainbows at Rotoiti on fly. Just takes time to work it out and im never there long enough to fully experiment either - mostly 3-5hour i day efforts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There's some nice big weed beds off the okawa bay entrance near the wall I reckon could be worth a prospect, pulled a nice 8lb brown trout out of there harling once. if you're going to hook a big brown in rotoiti that would be the place to do it.
Page  <1 2223242526 31>