Rotoiti

Page  <1 2122232425 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:16pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We had a good bite out on the lake last saturday afternoon

stuggled to find fish at first but finally located plenty on the TV at the eastern end of the lake in 20-25 metres

the fish were not fussy, taking the usual suspects, grey ghosts, ginger micks and a range of small white flies and a couple of bigger fish were on small paddle tail soft baits

popped out again for a couple of hours early sunday and whilst there were plenty of fish on the TV they were not biting so hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seems to be the consensus now - lots of fish on the tv but getting them to bite consistently is the trick. Any luck with the published bite times FB?   I had a good bite a couple weeks ago far away from bite time but normally get some action on bite times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:58am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be heading down once us Aucklanders are let out of our cage, just got a minn kota fitted to the boat so looking forward to giving that a spin!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:34am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Charge RC17 - much easier with minkota - however i havent found the minkota great at getting the fish to bite all the time either.   Did ok last time using the creep function - ie locate fish, vertically fish them for a few minutes then slowly creep away...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:52pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fish Russell.  Just seen this so I'm a bit behind.  Have regularly checked the Rotoiti thread since early January, and thought you had found somewhere else to fish.  The creep function on the minkota is a bit like drifting with a drogue, except you have better control over speed.  Noticed Pat uses the creep function too.

Just "liked" your report with the PB on it.  I was the first to like it!  Pretty dour bunch of readers if they don't like a story like that!  And as usual, you give enough info to help others repeat your feats.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep - i drift as well without minkota but breeze and direction have to be spot on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 12:19pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Back from a few days at Rotoiti, fishing was tough! Had no problem finding them down the eastern end, but getting them to bite was a challenge. Managed 7 in an hour one evening when they mustve been on the chew but other than that was really hard going even when parked over fish. Best of the few days was a 6.5lber with most around 3-4lb so a bit on the small side. On the plus side Minn Kota was epic, the ability to creep along likely lines will be a massive plus when the fish are a bit more spread out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote far call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 1:03pm
far call View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All
Have been following this thread for a while and finally created profile.
Rotoiti on sat afternoon found a few in Hauparu bay that came on the bite about 3pm.
8 fish to 7lb.
By the way If anyone dredges up a rod (Tica) with a Daiwa reel with line counter I wouldn't mind it back!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 3:37pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im going later in month - my spies say fishing very very well right now for the jiggy jig guys . Cant wait
Good fishing Far call - Hauparu always a good spot to have a look at

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:40pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It's time Far Quirk returned to Rotoiti to catch far call like I usually do these days.  (Welcome far call).
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:24am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Far Call Far Quirk - there is a pattern here? Maybe i should be Far Cough ??Geoff i will be going a couple of times before season ends so will give you a yell eh

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just spent 4 days at Rotoiti with Rob Fort from the Coromandel.    We were plagued with strong southerlies and hard frosts but clear days.   Water temperature was still some 15degrees at 21m and the fish were holding at 25m and later in the week at 23m.   Fishing was hard although we were over fish most of the time.   I caught a 4.2kg jack at Ruato 300m outside the right-hand buoy.

Most of our fishing was at Hauparu with plenty of fish on the sounder but not much action.   Had one day with not a single bite although my flies were among the fish virtually all day.   On our last day there were no fish at Hauparu but plenty off Moose Lodge.  A guy in a boat got 5 before we got there but shortly after the fish disappeared.   We paddled around in vain when the helpful guy came back and told us the fish had moved to the west of the island.   There the bite was on and we all had steady action with Rob getting about three times the strike then myself.  He discovered that lifting and dropping the rod as much as 3m made all the difference probably simulating smelt trying to flee.  Rob was fishing hands free from his pedal kayak and could vary his rod action at will.   On the other hand I did not do nearly so well since in the wind I had to hold over the fish with constant paddle strokes and could only activate the rod in the rod holder by rocking the kayak.  Why do I single out the big rod action as the reason for Rob’s strike rate?   It was because he was fishing with my flies; exactly the same ones as I was using.  Just goes to show doing what you have always done is not always a good recipe for success.  Lastly to my mind the fish right now are big and in the best condition I have seen for good while.  

Will post pic later

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:27am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

4.2kg Rainbow is a bloody good fish - well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote evgensk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 4:43pm
evgensk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hello, when you say creep function on minn kota, what is it? thanks Evgueni Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:06pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very low speed movement - 1/2 a knot when conditions allow - picture your flies creeping away at a very slow pace - sometimes triggers a stroke better than up and down jigging does in the one spot. Controlled drifting is another term i suppose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 2:37pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Not having a spot/lock on our kayaks we are constantly moving in any kind of wind trying to hold over trout .    I had some strikes just doing that just relying on wave action to impart fly movment.   However the most successful strike rate was solely due to Rob's high lift and slow drop.    In fact often the strike was instant.    Nothing more frustrating than seeing your flies right among a spaghetti ball of arcs with no response.     Hardest fishing for me in years.

Cheers 

Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 2:48pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

come on Rainbow - we dont mind hard fishing if you get the odd 4.2kg rainbow in the bin! That is awesome - i know what you mean and the Rotoiti fish are famous for schooling around your flies and not biting. Worse thing is you know some of those arches will be very nice sized fish too!   Whatever works to get a bite eh - i still think the closer the fish to bottom more likely to get a bite as they will be more likely to be feeding. However last time there we got some good strikes and good fish midwater using the creep tactic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 3:14pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nothing is certain there.    I am starting to become a believer in Bite Time except the reason for this phenomenon still remains a mystery.     Forgot to mention that all the fish we gutted had handfuls of undigested big smelt in a bulging gut.    Have not seen such even sized big smelt gut loads.  Question is when did they eat them?????    Was it at night????

Usually a mix of sizes.     If anglers look for an explanation why Taupo trout are smaller and often skinnier than those of Rotoiti look no further than the size and numbers of smelt     Crossing back to Ruato from the island we paddled over a massive school of smelt that filled the sounder for almost 10minutes. 

An other informed  rumour is that fishing will come to an end at Okataina as Te Arawa is trying to create a Koura sanctuary without trout.     Surprised?    Not me.

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:16am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bite time is 100% a thing on Rotoiti, we typically catch 90% of our fish during a 10% window of opportunity. I tend to get out for quick 1 hour sessions 2 - 3 times a day between kids duties, perks of having the boat ready to go on the jetty. Often I will fish the exact same spot 3 times in one day, same sign, and will catch multiple fish in one session and none in the other 2. Same flies, same everything.When they are on the chew it's a fish every 5min, when they aren't it's frustrating enough to want to throw your rod overboard haha. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joe average Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:54pm
Joe average View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

some superb fish being caught at the moment on rotoiti, this was the first of 4 similar fatties caught yesterday am that made it home to the smoke house..
Page  <1 2122232425 31>