Rotoiti

Page  <1 2021222324 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep my next trip 2-4 weeks away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 10:43pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Got a reply back from BOPRC.    They now have included more water  temperatures in a drop down column.    Not as simple as previously but still useful.
Cheers 

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:20pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

encouraging - there appears to be a 4 degree drop between surface and 20m now - start of thermocline maybe. I could be down on Monday...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 2:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im there MOnday people - if anyone around text 021443055 - that 4 degree temp brake still holding which is good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 4:40pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I seem to have lost the Rotoiti Narrows monitoring buoy temperature graphs.     Has anyone else had the same experience?

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 6:31pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Im there MOnday people - if anyone around text 021443055 - that 4 degree temp brake still holding which is good.

Look forward to catching up with you guys on the lake from mid Jan , brought a place on Lake rotoehu , there fulltime.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wish i could find something down there too but wife would rather have a beach house! 
 - 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:34am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fishing picking up a bit, was down over the weekend and caught a few on quick 1 hour sessions. If you can find them they were happily obliging to most smelt flies. Lost an absolute freight train, hooked it was a big weight then a 30m run and dropped the hook, doh! I've been telling myself must of been foul hooked haha. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 9:21am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So here's a question, how far and how fast do trout move around a lake? Reason for my question is an area I fished a few days ago was holding a heap of trout over a general area, then went back 2 days later and virtually no sign. But not only that, couldn't locate them anywhere in the general vicinity either with a fairly methodical grid search haha. For example, on Rotoiti would trout just up sticks and move distances from the likes of Hauparu to West Bank, or are they known outside of spawning seasons to be a little bit more localised than that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 3:55pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question - i have had good numbers of fish showing then an hour later nothing - they all up and went - where? Generally speaking there appears to be a west to east movement as the season goes on - from what ive been told anyway. The fish are probably simply following the smelt moving around - by the way i saw bugger all smelt compared to normal a few weeks ago when i was down there and didnt do well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:33pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just returned after 4 days of fishing there.    Wasted first day looking at Ruato and Hauparu with perfect conditions.    Friday found some at West Bank with the wind to 25knots.    Heard that lots of fish were at the Narrows so struggled up there against white capping waves.    Hooked up as soon as I got there but by the time I landed a good fish I was blown halfway to West Bank so got back there but the fish were gone.    Saturday more wind but manageable at the Narrows     Met up with Pat and Co who were doing well but it took me a while to get onto them.    Funnily my sounder went weird not showing fish or true depth right at the drop off so was fishing blind.   pat reckoned the fish were at 25m and he was counting down with his line counter on his  reel.     I was probably too deep at first but got onto fish be winding up and dropping down.    His client was using soft baits and did not catch anything while I was there.    Pat told me they caught quite a few on soft baits before I came.     Best day I got nine.    On Sunday it was reasonably calm in the morning with three from the West Bank but the rain set in early.    Paddled up to the Narrows for no fish.    Only one boat got three so the fish that were there on Friday and Saturday had moved.    Did not stay long as the northerly started to blow.    Got one big wild one at WB but was wet and cold so beat a slow retreat against the white caps.    Good to be fishing again but nothing memorable.    Best fish a jack of 3.3kg and a hen that Pat weight of 2.9kg all others in very good conditions.    Was quite worn out hard  paddling to get to fish and then holding over them against the strong wind.     Wasted a lot of time trying to find fish.   Form what I have been told by locals The Narrows is the most reliable spot  at the moment.
Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:09am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good report- at the narrows all sounders play up if fishing the deep gutter - the drop off is so sharp that sounders pick up a shadow and dont read correct depth  - my two sounders do anyway. Especially so if transducer is pointing from deep towards the vertical rise.  You did better than us a month ago so well done. Would have been hard work in the kayak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 2:34pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

In regards to trout mining around I remember seeing a doc radio tagging test done on Taupo. Some fish hardly moved just hanging around in stump bay or the delta while others traveled the whole lake. Often the went straight across the Middle which I thought was odd. My father who trolls a lot often trolls often cuts straight across the western bays to boat harbor and catches fish way out in the middle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:40pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just back from a great couple days jigging  - some good patches of trout holding mostly 25m mark. A bit of lateral movement of the Pat Swift smelt flies worked very well for me - my personal best Rainbow of 70cm 4kg / 9lb was achieved. It also had a tag in it so will be interesting to see what Fish and game say as to release and growth rate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff big man, well done on the PB - that's a solid fish.Sounds like all the blood sweat and tears have paid off and you've now unlocked the lake's secrets to some extent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:43am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow what a cracker rainbow and great pic!!! You will be eating well, sashimi starter, fillet smoked and the rest pan fried from the one fish. Delish!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:19am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

HI Russel
Congratulations for your PB.    Solid fish.    I was wondering about the absence of reports so yours is doubly valuable.    I am currently too knotted on albacore tuna off out coast and in a couple of weeks we go to the South Island for 5days of fishing the Ohau Rv for some biggies.     Prefer fly fishing for them rather than egg rolling but am equipped for both.

On return will plan a Rotoiti trip or two before the Tongariro calls for the winter runs.   
The year is just too short to make use of all the great fishing opportunities this country offers for next to nothing.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:03am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a nice fish Rainbow - well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great fish there mate, we have done pretty well over summer so far, with plenty of fish up to 7lb. Lost one absolute donkey that would have definitely given my PB 11lber a run for it's money Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 2:24pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes i was very pleased with the fishing - in not just the one spot either which makes a change. Started out at Moose where everyone was , lots of fish for sure and they been there for a while . But went on a tiki tour - they all seemed to be hanging around 25m mark - did well on the mid water fish which i never do normally . Gees 11lb would be a real fish..
Page  <1 2021222324 31>