Rotoiti

Page  <1 1617181920 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Had the Genesis Social Map loaded for a while but never used it as most of my fishing was at the eastern end and fish showed on the sounder.    On the recent trip I used it all the time looking for fish along drop offs and put waymarks on fish holding spots.    This made it easy to paddle back to where I held over fish when I got blown off either landing fish or re-rigging.    Absolutely vital equipment I was stupid not to have used before.
Can only recommend to all Lowrance Chart Plotter users.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rotoiti is fishing incredibly well at the moment! Just wish this wind would bugger off.

Got out on the 23rd for 2 hours for a limit catch for two people then out again on the 1st for 3.5hrs and it was insane fishing. Landed 30 fish in that period.

Wind looking better for this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear you got a few! I got out a few times over the break, you're right about the wind, real pain in the ass!

Personally I had no trouble finding them, but getting them to bite was a bit more of a challenge. What were you getting them on?

I found the bite times to be rather short and sharp. At one point I switched to a soft bait out of frustration of a lack of bites and hooked a real nice one, got it literally in the net, only for it to pull the houdini of escape acts on me. Estimated between 7 - 8lb. Bugger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:39pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I intend to give it a nudge wednesday  - have heard the lake is fishing ok
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 9:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Grey Ghost worked best followed by Yellow Lady. I ended up putting random flies on in the end because having 2 or more smelt flies on resulted in double or triple hookups and busted off too many flies. Koura fly and wooly buggers on the bottom also got snaffled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:35am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that sounds like a hot bite AP!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A slow day but quality of fish excellent - caught fish the hole, vercoes , Hauparu and west bank - Haupara best. Smelt flies great - Pats swift ones of course - managed an equal split of hooking fish mid water 20-25m and in bottom 30-40m- best was 3kg but felt bigger than that - 63cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work, big man. That is a beaut. Glad you got amongst it. Looks like ideal conditions - well worth the road trip down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I can bear witness that Redfinger was indeed there and caught some nice trout.  I was fishing alongside him in his boat using mainly Pat Swift flies but a few other randoms, because try as I might, I could not land a fish.  I had one hookup that lasted all of 30 seconds, that is all.  My role seems to be spectator and cheerleader when I fish at Rotoiti.  I've had a few zilches when others have been slaughtering them all round me.  Still, wouldn't miss it for quids.  It's a beautiful spot, and one day, something will click (please God?).

Strategy for next time is to use a string of Pat Swift grey ghosts.  Pat says this is madness because double and triple hookups will pull your trace apart and lose a lot of fish and flies. I call it stacking the odds in my favour.  I would be stoked to get a double or treble hookup, and even if they took all 3 files, I'd have a grin from ear to ear.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Don't despair Geoff~~your day will come.
I'm hoping mine will tomorrow, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice day on the water today and great to catch up with several other f.net members out there.

Fishing was quite slow today picked a few every now and then, heard the late afternoon produced a good bite.

Got 6 total today 2 over 6lb and this donkey at 10.16lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done Josh...
Great to see Rotoiti producing fish like that.

Think it's time you dumped that tee  shirt tho LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone had much luck on Rotoiti lately?

We have found the last couple of weeks super tough. No issue finding the fish, but just haven't been on the chew. Fished morning, avo, and evening sessions. Didn't seem to be just us struggling either, often would be another 3-4 boats around with maybe an average of 1 fish per hour landed between 4 boats. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:57am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sort them out RC17 and get them fired up as im down end of February where i expect full cooperation!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:17am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They have to eat at some point mate, I even heard from another boat that Pat had a tough day the other day, my response was I may as well go back to the bach and sink a few tins then because if he was struggling I have no chance haha. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

UV or not UV ????????     I am old enough not to be easily captured by hype but I hope still smart enough to learn.    On my last trip I was fishing with  a mate at Hauparu in the late afternoon.    We were sitting over fish in 30m and pretty close to an other boat.  We used mainly Grey Ghost flies but failed to get any interest despite  regular fly changes.    One guy next door pulled up 12 on UV Grey Ghost while his mate on the other side of the boat got one.     Apparently he was using his own ties.     Next morning I fished there again and got  fish  at half hour intervals but another local got twice as many.   We got talking and as  it turned out he too was using UV Grey Ghost flies.    He gave me a couple but by then the bite was over and neither of us did much after that.

I compared my flies with his and the only difference I could see was that on the UV GG the body was wrapped with UV material wile my flies had flashy mylar.

I have never dived Rotoiti but from looking at its water it is not a clear lake and I suspect that at 30m it would be pretty dark down  there.   So it might be that UV is the only colour that is still visible to trout at depth and this gives  these flies a clear edge, especially in low light conditions ie. overcast sky, late afternoon  and early morning.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there???????   

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:34pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would make sense Rainbow, I was mainly just using Pat Swift rigs and then swapping out flies at random intervals with no action. Interestingly in the past when it's slowed up like that with plenty of sign I've switched to a softbait and almost always managed to entice some bites (hooking up can be a different story). Tried that a couple of times and still no joy. Plus side is the few fish we did catch were in good knick up to 6lb.

Might need to broaden my fly selection!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:28pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

were the fish mainly showing mid water or close to the bottom ? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:21pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Pretty close to bottom on both days.    Got some large ones on the drop off out from Moose Lodge.     There was a soft baiter who also got big ones.    Off Hauparu there were a lot of small fish,      Out for albacore tomorrow with sea conditions looking just right.
Cheers
Herb 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

UV or not UV ????????     
I have never dived Rotoiti but from looking at its water it is not a clear lake and I suspect that at 30m it would be pretty dark down  there.   So it might be that UV is the only colour that is still visible to trout at depth and this gives  these flies a clear edge, especially in low light conditions ie. overcast sky, late afternoon  and early morning.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there???????   

Cheers

Rainbow

Well, that's a very good question, Rainbow.
fishos are eternally searching for the key to unlock the mystery of success. you've had days - not that long ago - where you slayed them on your chartreuse/grey smelt, so what was different between that day and this? 

Salt water fishos have utter conviction about the best colour for a kabura lure, for example, fished in 50m in the Hauraki Gulf, or kingie jigs at 75m, or softbaits in 20m. Whereas we know that colours as the human eye sees them start dropping out from 5m onwards - red first, then others in a well-known spectrum.

So the red and green 'Nuclear chicken' softbait is likely to be grey and grey at 30m. Maybe it's the contrast of red and green that works well when seen as two different greys?

I don't think UV is a colour, as you mentioned, rather a type of light?
My understanding is that UV light starts dropping out too, the deeper you go. Fluorescent qualities drop out as well.

The only one that bucks the trend is lumo - which (if charged with say, a torch or camera flash) lights up more the darker it gets.

UV seems to be something that fish eyes pick up much more that a human eye, so there maybe a lot of merit in what you witnessed. Maybe in certain light conditions - where uV light is penetrating the lake more?
I think used sparingly in ties might be the key - there's so much UV-infused material available these days that a tier could commit overkill.

I think silhouette and movement (vibration?) are other potentially key considerations when it comes to a jigged fly's success. Why else would trout grab an Olive Woolly Bugger fished at 10m up from the bottom (in a spot 30m deep) when there are no koura or bullies at that depth.
Page  <1 1617181920 31>