Rotoiti

Page  <1 1314151617 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:42am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

You guys might be too focused on food.    A hungry hunter is always a better hunter.     Just look at pictures of gorged lions lazing about in the sun.   No thoughts of hunting until their stomachs rumble.     As for the Kabura kebabs never tried them.    What do they taste like?

Marty Johanson is going to import the Savage Gear Drop Shot Kit for me to try out at Rotoiti.    Really interested how it will go with soft baits.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 2:15pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice to meet you too Uncle.  By the time we met, Russell was 4 or 5 nil up and I was sulking.  I  tried a whole host of flies including Pat Swift pre-tied rigs and even a Holiday lumo shrimp sabiki I put on later in desperation.  And no Lester, no secret sauce or kaburas entered the fray.  2 hookups, one small one landed and kept was my result for the day - D minus, must do better next time.  Still, the grub was good and the company excellent.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 5:30pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

You guys are too kind...
Yes part of every trip ritual stopping at Ronnies Bakery on way down to Rotorua - for a coffee , and for lunch grab a piece of bacon egg pie and an apple turnover...

On way back stop at Kebab shop Matamata - outstanding value

Little tip on the bakery products,not the fishing unfortunatly;)

Sweet painted lady in Waharoa best bakery food in the Matamata area and they clean there cabinets daily!

Cheers for the reports fullas, cant wait to get over there again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:49am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have been having a decent late evening bite fishing 7.30pm - 9pm on west bank, getting at least 3 or 4 each trip, had a triple hookup at one point last night. Found fish everywhere over the last week at all the usual spots, havent blanked yet! And so much smelt sign everywhere theres no shortage of food that's for sure. Found middle of the day more challenging than mornings and evenings. And nothing that big most fish 3 - 5lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes west bank had the most fish on it we saw all day - really starting to stack up - our last stop of the day - I landed 4 there- 4 at Hauparu and 1 at Russells point (the punga in background should give it away not far from vercoes_. Hardly slaying it I know but enough action to keep me happy - will try and do an overnighter soon and get to take advantage of some of these better time zones in evenings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:30am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Really weird fishing last few days of our holiday. No problem finding fish, but getting them to take anything was a mission!

Tried all manner of smelt flies but weren't getting anywhere near the number of fish I would of expected given the sign we were sitting over. Didn't seem to matter what time of day the result was usually the same - couple of hours of frustratingly staring at a finder full of fish to only hook a couple. 

After I while I gave some softbaits a go hoping the more action in the lure would entice a bite. I was watching fish on the finder move as much as 5-10m to investigate, would drop the lure to the bottom and work up fairly quickly to mid water then pause. Strangely, I must enticed 20-30 "bites" almost like snapper bites but they seemed to be grabbing the tail as only landed a couple. The fish were certainly interested in the lure but can't work out why more weren't smashing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

haha, join the club Rich.
I've had much the same last few trips~~very frustrating.
Lots of sign & lots of looks but very slow on the chew.

I have been experimenting with tiny sp's ( 50mm), tied on a ledger rig & that's got me a few~~not many, but a few. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:53am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had similar experience last week - plenty on sounder but not many bites.  Friday evening after work at hauparu bay there was 11 boats at one stage and I only saw 3 fish landed.

One of the 2 fish I caught out of the kayak was on a small rubber paddle tail lure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:56am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:12am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:44pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

The problem with just sonar is that not all arcs are fish.    I now use down scan on split screen with sonar.    I find that the yellow green screen shows up fish sign best.   

As I said not all arcs are fish but if a sonar sign also shows up on the down scan screen as a yellow/green dot or line it is definitely a fish.     This has help me a lot to sort out what sometimes is a real birds nest of arcs as the above pictures show.     I am planning another trip this month to hopefully test the Savage Gear Drop Shot Rig.

Hope that helps

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:26pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

side scan, sonar & downscan..
Most of the fish were over to my right, about 40 mtrs when I took that screenshot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:32pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:08am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was out with Pat Swift on Thursday - great to be fishing with the legend again.
Pretty slow day really- we fished most of day but sticking to the basics meant we managed to land 25 in the end - about 16 to Pat -and 9 to me . Lots missed too .
Grey ghost a stand out with a couple on ginger micks and Yellow lady. Uv flies worked well in mixed overcast conditions - fish showing in 21- 30m but probably more around 25m mark - a few good groupings too..
Great day , good to see Shirley Fraser from Taupo out in her boat next to us too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:09am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:14am
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

still a pretty good day out there with that count. back on to the lakes come late may , we must sort a catch up down there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:42pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure - always keen
Might try the Taupo comp end March for a change of scene.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:22am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Friday 22/3/19 
Fished from 11am to 5:30pm for zip, not even a nibble.  (Thursday Pat Swift got 49!!) Seemed to be good sign at Hauparu Bay where Russell and I fished in Jan and we met Uncle.  I tried 3 different fly sets there, and others around me were getting zilch, so moved on.  Tried other end of Hauparu, Ruato Pt, Gisborne Point and zigzagged along between there and Hinehopu between 15 to 35m looking for sign but apart from smelt saw zilch.  Tried the 2 points to the northwest  of Hinehopu, then back to Hauparu where the earlier sign had disappeared and the boats with it.  Didn't see a single boat hooked up all day.  Repeated the circuit Ruato, Gisborne point, along to Hinehopu with a zig zag search, still nix.  Finally tried West Bank and the Narrows and couldn't find trout, so barely fished there.

The sets I used included a Pat Swift shop-bought set, Pat Swift files tied into a set myself, and a Kilwell $12 set as a control, but it looked short in all departments, although the flies themselves looked the business.

Sunday 24/3/19
Hit the water at 7:30am and was round at Hauparu Bay before 8.  Wasted an hour there chasing shadows (lots of parallel blues streaks at the 25m mark that could have been small trout or big smelt.)  Saw a lot of boats off Ruato Pt so joined them about 9:15.  This was the first time for the weekend where I'd seen unmistakable yellow/orange arches and lines that looked like trout, all at about 17-20m deep in small schools.  The shading from the thermocline was missing here WTF?

Within minutes had my first bite, then released a 30cm model caught on a Pat Swift big green fly with red body.  Bit later picked up a much better fish 3 1/2 lbs on a Pat Swift ginger mick.  That was it, ran out of time and had to head back with them still biting.  All done 10am.  People all round me doing well with a double hookup on one boat.

I have a lot to learn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:14am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Friday 22/3/19 </span>

<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Sunday 24/3/19<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"> Wasted an hour there chasing shadows (lots of parallel blues streaks at the 25m mark that could have been small trout or big smelt.)  

Were those streaks horizontal or Diagonal Geoff?

I got caught out in a similar way at Hauparu, "chasing shadows" as you put it.
Eventually figured out I was looking at bubbles  ( thermal activity) so quietly moved on~~Confused

I was on the lake for a few hours Thursday morning & managed 3 on soft plastics.
Dropped a few too but was pretty tame compared to PS's effort.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:49am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Bill

Yes, saw some of the rising horizontal lines at times and ignored those.  But at other times, especially Friday at Hauparu, there were tight groups of bigger horizontal parallel lines, sometimes orange/yellow, and at the right depth around 24m.  This may have been bigger fish moving around quickly, or might have been "shadows".  I could see my sinker on the fish finder, so I was at the right depth, but no takers.  At Hauparu the thermocline showed clearly as small dots between 10 to 18m.

I've given up on posting photos because it's too hit and miss, too frustrating.

The wind picked up a bit on Friday and even 3ozs and a drogue resulted in 0.5+ knot drift speeds and the line streaming out the back instead of vertical, so not ideal, but I've caught trout at Taupo in these conditions.
Page  <1 1314151617 31>