Rotoiti

Page  <1 1213141516 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 3:07pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks guys for the discouragements      Bad news fish wise but saves me a lot of petrol. With the price these days it is better to wait and carry on snapper and gurnard bashing at home.   

Cheers to all

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Back down there this weekend will let you know if things have improved at all!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 3:18pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No pressure on you or anything eh Rich!   Will be watching your report with interest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 10:08pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have found jigging I both rotoiti and okataina pretty hard. Only been okataina once for nothing. Rotoiti a few times and a few fish. Quite a few soft hits and no hook up. Switch to trolling and catch fish straight away but it's not really my thing. Tarawera has been far better with fish in most of the usual spots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:26am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone got out lately? I only managed one short trip earlier in the month for 1 small fish. 

Might try and get down to Rotoiti this coming weekend with the family, water temp should be improving a bit by now hopefully.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:44am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I was there last Thursday morning Rich. Was slow going, only got two but seems the afternoon bite was much better.
Water temp as shown was surface at about 11am so a bit of day heat. I confirmed temp with a stand alone thermometer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:43am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was down at Rotoiti over the weekend, managed a couple of short jigging sessions. 

Saturday avo had a quick jig down past West Bank in the gap, managed a nice 5lber. 

Sunday morning got 3 fish 3-5lb off Moose Lodge. 

Interestingly 3 of the 4 fish all took an olive wooly bugger and ignored the smelt patterns.

Surface temp was up to 20.5 in the heat of the day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 12:16pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just finished three days at Rotoiti.      Sat got one and lost one.   Sunday I found the fish and landed 28 as well as lost heaps more.    Monday landed 17 and would have lost at least as many through break offs and hook straighten.    Must retool with stronger gear for next trip.     Met locals at what must be a known hot spot.    All had their Mincotta on spot lock while I maintained my position over the fish in the wind with just a few paddle strokes.    I could not help noticing how pissed off some of them became when my rod arced down again and again right beside their 100k cruisers.    Luckily the fish don't care what boat is above them.    All fish took the smelt flies with no noticeable difference between white, grey or olive wings.    Some fish were over 3kg but also got quite a few smaller models.     At times the smelt were so thick that my sounder beam could not get through them to indicate the depth or the trout.    I had just hooked a string puller when it launched itself into the air like a missile and jumped clean over my head and landed broadside next to my kayak.   It was a bit stunned as it was just laying there without any movement.    I reeled in the slack line believing it was still hooked only to find the hook had come out during the  aerial display.    Next thing the fish woke up and powered down.   

Sorry guys but had to promise one very nice local not to post the location.     I had been tossing up whether or not to go before Christmas but now I am obviously glad I did get some smokers for the holidays.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 2:07pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Rainbow- you did better than us.
I went down yesterday and had pleasure of fishing with Pat Swift in his boat. He had been averaging 30 fish a day prior to my trip but the overcast rainy conditions of yesterday were not good in his opinon of trout jigging conditions.
We went up to the Narrows and Pat hooked a doube pretty soon after arriving - the top one snapped off the trace but landed the middle one. We landed about 4-5 here - I lost one that lept all over the lake before throwing the hook.

At the little island in the middle got two out of a big smelt school.
At Hauparu has been working well for the bigger fish for Pat - and he landed a 6lber here but it was very slow fishing for us - I dropped another very heavy fish that didn't want to come off the bottom.

Vercoes and The hole and west bank were a bit too quiet.

All up 11 landed which is a very slow day for Pat - fished from 9am till 230pm - wrong bite times too.

No secrets here - grey ghost, ginger mick, jack spratt , lumo ghost all caught fish. Fish were in 20m at Narrows and 35m at Hauparu. Get out there and get amongst them - there are plenty of fish there for everyone to enjoy- that's what the fishery was intended for anyway. Spoke to Fish & Game too out on lake which was interesting.

We only kept 4 as that's all I wanted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great reports, guys.
Fantastic fishing, Herb - you slaying them on your own smelt ties? Amazing how fickle it can be, one day to the next.

RF, at least you know if Pat wasn't catching, chances are nobody really was that day. One of these days you'll hit the mother lode, given the effort you put in. You deserve it after all those 'you should have been here yesterday' trips. Still, a day on the water and some smoked trout beats my day hobbling around the office with a post-op ankle!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:07pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I use the flies I tie with the Synthetic Living Fibre wing and use a chartreuse glow bug yarn that shines through under the pearl Mylar.    Instead of ribbing I glue the bottom of the wing down with UV glue when I do the head and the stick on eyes.    Anything to make it quicker and easier.   Given up  on the feathers as it takes too long preparing them, tying them down and keeping them in shape after a few fish.    The fibre wing last and lasts.  

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:47am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice flies Rainbow
Interesting how your fishing can be so variable from one day to next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Will try out drop shotting for trout when the new kit arrives.    In the mean time needed to get some snapper for Christmas to feed the wider whanau.    Also just heard the tuna have arrived so torn three ways.    
Merry Christmas to all of you.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:03am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

First for the season.    Have to give the trout a good spell.

Cheers and a Fishy 2019 to all

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 5:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im down tomorrow 5th with Far Quirk- anyone out there happy to share intel as we go- good bite time tomorrow- fingers crossed! 021443055 cell phone Russell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:42pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Redfinger & Far Quirk hard at work this morning. Nice to meet you Geoff, even a cross the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:28pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to see you Bill - thanks for your great photo. We ground out a feed in the end - some promising numbers at Hauparu and west bank at times. Good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uncle, I hope you checked to make sure Far Quirk wasn't dragging a Kabura with Secret Sauce on it.
When I was lucky enough to be invited by those two aforementioned famed anglers on a Rotoiti trip, I jumped into RF's SUV to be confronted with FQ's rods, complete with a couple of sliders! 
When I got up the courage to ask about the rig as we left the bakery in Matamata laden with pies and apple turnovers, he said he'd packed his gear straight from a salt trip in the city channel, but would be changing forthwith Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:02am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Have to say I thought about deploying a Kabura myself TTK, lol
Reckon I tried just about everything else.

I did see copious amounts of bakery products going down the hatch tho, some magnificent multi-tasking on display.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys are too kind...
Yes part of every trip ritual stopping at Ronnies Bakery on way down to Rotorua - for a coffee , and for lunch grab a piece of bacon egg pie and an apple turnover...

On way back stop at Kebab shop Matamata - outstanding value
Page  <1 1213141516 31>