Rotoiti

Page  123 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotoiti
    Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:49am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had an evenful day at Rotoiti chasing mudfish around the Lake on the jig (flies).
Quality mudfish here, superb conditioned fish - most of them - North island salmon even?

Typical fat rainbow just over 2kg caught on a grey ghost fly in 28m.

Its not easy, having to present the right fly, in the right place or location, at the right time and most importantly keeping it there for long enough at right depth. Even doing all of this the fish reject your fly most of the time. A quality fishfinder / gps plotter is a must - and you need to know how to use it.
The sight of a large, fat bodied, silver rainbow cartwheeling  10m from the boat before ejecting my fly will stay in my mind a while.
Brendan James , below with fish of the day - 3.6kg weighed 8 hours later and there are bigger fish in this lake for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:02am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Redfinger - looks like you're having nice weather up there at present and may get good weather next week too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:52pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi there - just a Day trip for me from North Harbour , Akld . Long day for sure but worth it most of the time.
Annoying breeze from the west - not fresh at all but just enough to complicate the drift of teh boat. A minekota would be great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the post, Redfinger. Haven't been to Rotoiti for a month or two now - glad to hear there's still some lunkers lurking around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:57am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice looking fish Redfinger - sounds a bit tricky to catch.  Me I have been chasing Snapper in the Manukau.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 8:47am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi John, yes I saw your recent post - nice fish. Great to have good saltwater fishing at our doorstep here.
Only a couple of months left before  Lake Rotoiti closes , then probably not back until late this year/next year - Given quality of fish available maybe another trip or two before I switch my freshwater attentions to Taupo/Turangi again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:08pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just back from 2.5 days at Rotoiti.  Fished from day light until dark but not at night.    Sore bum material   Found fishing a lot harder than a month ago with very few fish around the Pipe and along the Nothern Cliffs    Eventually we found reasonable concentrations off the willows before the turnoff to the Pipe.    We drifted from 30m into the shallows to about 17 m and caught  fish regularly around the 20m mark.   In fact most of them were holding at 20m.   Huge smelt were so common that we often  snagged up on all three hooks.    I had several monsters that were actually hooked in the mouth.     While we did not catch the number of the previous trip all the fish were big ( no 2 year olds) around 5lbs with a couple over 7lbs and one just under 8lbs.    Outstanding quality fish when compared to Taupo.
Caught 13 on the SLF smelt I tied, 8 on Grey Ghost and 5 on the bully fly.    Dropped several as well     I also had a small Jack Sprat in the line-up but replaced that when it got ignored in favour of the others.  

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:17pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting Rainbow - we found thermocline reasonably strong in some places (between ruato and gisborne pt) and faint in others but could pick it up in some form in most locations. Much weaker than 3 weeks previously , agreed.
Fish in 20m for us as well and fly choice very simiar to you.
We might have seen you I think up eastern end of lake - we were in a 14foot open tinny , tiller driven with FLEUR on the side - my mates boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 9:19pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yes, Once we found fish at the eastern end we came back to that area after twice exploring the northern cliffs without finding much fish sign.    As they say :"Never leave fish to find fish".    No point in paddling for miles exploring new areas when we only had a couple of days and a bit.    The rangers at the hatchery told me that some big fish are coming out of Okataina but Tarawera has been a bit sad with smelt only half the size of the Rotoiti smelts.   I could not believe when I caught a few big smelt of around 4 inches with a hook in their  mouths, hooked from the inside!   Not just snagged somewhere on the body.    Interestingly we never caught a trout on a snagged smelt.
Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:48am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

there was nothing much showing around northern cliffs for sure - yet the go to spot last time . Fish definitely move around.
Those smelt are why these Rotoiti trout are so special.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 8:23pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

A few photos from our last trip to Rotoiti.

Rainbow

Brent Sharp fishing blind as his FF packed up on day one     Alfie Amor on his pedal drive yak ideal for holding over fish and fishing at the same time.    Some nice fat fish and huge smelt when compared to the smelt fly we were using.  Correction: Top fish was 9lbs not under 8 as stated above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome catches there guys.... well done.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Brent Sharp's video of our recent Rotoiti trip. 

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:20am
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate and I spent the weekend fishing Lake Rotoiti lost count of fish to boat, brought some nice ones home several over 7lb. all but one caught jigging the best jigging session my mate and I have experienced
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 2:29pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one Yoti, I had a bit of a different weekend but still a couple of nice fish.

Sat morning fished down by the Willows at Hinehopu jigging, 1 nice 6lber and 3 smaller 3lb models between 7am - 9am.

Had a crack back there middle of the day and also tried Ruato Point for a couple of hours - not a touch.

Went out again for an hour in the evening and got another small one.

Sunday morning decided to focus around the Ruato Bay point area and got 1 nice fish just under 7lb, but that was it for 2 hours.

Where were you fishing Yoti?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:46pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heading out tomorrow - will let you fellas know how I get on

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:42am
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by RC17 RC17 wrote:

Nice one Yoti, I had a bit of a different weekend but still a couple of nice fish.

Sat morning fished down by the Willows at Hinehopu jigging, 1 nice 6lber and 3 smaller 3lb models between 7am - 9am.

Had a crack back there middle of the day and also tried Ruato Point for a couple of hours - not a touch.

Went out again for an hour in the evening and got another small one.

Sunday morning decided to focus around the Ruato Bay point area and got 1 nice fish just under 7lb, but that was it for 2 hours.

Where were you fishing Yoti?

Fished around Gisborne Point - Ruato. Fish were spread out over deep water right out to 40 meters, but holding around 22 to 25 meters deep.  Best fishing late morning until midday.Saturday morning was best, Sunday slower. You probably saw us Trailersailer with no mast on, easier fishing without it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:45am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea I found the majority of fish were holding 21-24m in 28-32m of water, but picked up a couple in closer in 18m. Seems to be very short bite times at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:50pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was out today on Rotoiti. Nice light northerly and overcast.
Intense schools of smelt everywhere, fish were holding in 22-26m for us.
The fish are moving around a bit - showing in different places each trip.
Kept 5, released 3 , lost 3 - many hits failing to hook up
Biggest 66cm, 7lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunterfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 11:20am
Hunterfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did anyone get out on the weekend? 
I heard Whakatane fishing club had a comp on Rotoiti in the weekend.

I was over last tuesday and had a great morning, any one else do ok in the last week?

Cheers Jamie
Page  123 31>