bass in n.z.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Now this is an interesting thread from the dim dark past. Whitey (second to last post) provides a great example of the dangers of introducing any non-native animal or fish anywhere.

I have friends who have daydreams about importing all sorts of sportfish into New Zealand. Largemouth bass particularly, but also (in saltwater) striped bass and/or mulloway, even flathead!

Totally bonkers of course

Be careful what you wish for
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Catfish, koi and those little mosquito fish all cause big problems, I imagine perch are probably hated and loved by anglers. some of the saltwater 'imports' are pretty destructive too the last thing we need are smugglers. But yeah we're still allowed to daydream I guess.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 1:26pm
064pointbreak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If the last thing we need are smugglers that can import bass, the closest places that have these fish are the Philippines and South Africa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

The New Zealand equivalent to black bass is Trout because it is the most sought-after freshwater game fish(a fun fact you didn't know about).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 064pointbreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 5:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

I would like to see them introduced into the hydro lakes and upper nth island lakes.

1/ They would eat the perch, koi, rudd etc that are threatening our clean waterways. The positives to this is we would prevent the problems we are expecting to see as carp become more widespread. Bass do not muddy up the waterways as trout do.
2/ Take Lake Otatoa for example - a world class trout fishery ruined by perch. Put Bass in their and they would eat the perch. This would create - 3.
3/ World class Bass fishery near Auckland. First Otatoa then our next opportunity is bass in lake Pupuke. There is currently a wide variety of fish in Pupuke, introducing bass would not adversely effect the quality of the fishery of this lake. The positive results would be staggering - creating sales for local retailers, manufacturers and wholesalers for a new sports fish, new fishing magazines and fishing show opportunities. The employment opportunities are huge.
4/ Trout fishing has a minority following throughout most parts of the world. Similar to snapper vs trout in NZ. The financial benefits from snapper fishing significantly outway that of trout. The same would be true if we created a bass fishery in NZ. We would see more overseas anglers spending more money than they do currently for trout fishing.
5/ The effects on trout fishing rivers. Minimal if at all measurable. Bass will not survive in our back country rivers. So there is no risk of putting our world class fisheries at risk. The majority of overseas anglers come to fish these back country rivers. Therefore we would not effect the numbers of overseas anglers coming to fish these rivers.
6/ The big lakes of the Nth and Sth island. Well to put it plenty most of the Rotorua lakes are buggered already. Bass would have a far greater survival rate in Rotorua and rotoiti than trout in 20 yrs from now. We already run the risk of not having a fishery in these lakes in the future. At least by introducing bass we would all have something fun to fish for.
7/ Many of the Sth Island alpine lakes are to cold to support the survival of Bass. Therefore there is limited risk of bass surviving in these lakes if introduced.

8/ The real biggy is Lake Taupo. The lake is so huge that trout would be able to out run the bass. Potentially you could have a unique trout fishery and bass fishery. This happens in much of California. The negative is bass could be the main catch. Who had a great season on the Tongariro this year anyhow. Not many if any.

9/ Great lakes we could lose as trout fisheries - Taupo and Tarawera. Koi could ruin these any how.

10/ Ever been to a Waikato hydro lake in summer. Its not easy to catch a trout when these lakes warm and algae becomes a problem. Bass would feeding ferociously - wow what a bonus.

Bass are a great fish. We would have been better off with these guys than the perch, rudd, koi and catfish in our waterways. If we didn't have Taupo and Rotorua then we would all be looking at Bass as the savior to our fishing and recreation.

The Fact - The world is not ideal. Our waterways and fishery is sliding down hill. Please protect what we have - Didymo is going to ruin our fishing well before DOC finds a solution. If you don't like what I have written
(and I know many of you would not have) then get in contact with your local MP and see what is being done to protect your waterway and fishery from Didymo. DOC and many of those who make a living from the NZ trout fishery do not want other introduced fish species. But what is happening with Didymo and when will we start to see some action.

I know the ITM Fishing Show does not have a political agenda but it is a great platform to increase the awareness of the didymo problem. DOC only spends 75% of its annual budget on fisheries research. DOC has huge amounts of money available to them to find a solution as soon as possible. What are we waiting for. What are shows like the ITM FS, Geoff Thomas, gone fishing doing to protect the values Cicada, myself and many others enjoy.

Any how its late - you all get the idea of the message. I am surprised the pressure has not come on DOC as yet. DOC sat on the painted apple moth thing for years until public pressure brought action.

Lets hear your say now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If anyone thinks that we are going to get a new introduced species in NZ, they are living in cloud cuckoo land! We will be lucky to keep what we have.
Page  <12