Any one know what this is ????????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any one know what this is ????????
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 10:53am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We want to plant a hibiscus in memory of wife's brother & have dug a hole
about 60 cm deep, but after filling with water find only the first 30 cm drains
& below that is acting like a bucket.

Obviously would be dicey to plant into that & risk root rot.

Was wanting to bore deeper in the hope of breaking thru the clay into a strata of
soil that would allow the water to drain.

For that purpose a friend has lent me what they thought might be a post hole borer
but I cannot get it to function as such as the handles twist too much when trying to
turn it. The pics below show it in both the open & closed position.

Anyone know if it can be used as posthole borer or is it simply for removing loose soil
from the bottom of a hole ?

Am trying to convince the "war office" that it would be much simpler all round to put
a bottomless container of a matching colour to the bricks over the existing hole which
would provide adequate depth for the roots before hitting the water, but for some
reasons unknown she is opposed to that idea.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 11:05am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 11:08am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Know it's not a post hole borer, remember seeing one years ago but the memories gone since then.
Just seen Moocha's post,  bugger me.  "Don't tell the wife I was wrong"
Reckon it took more than 2.08 minutes to dig those holes though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 11:51am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They aren't that easy to use actually, especially once you get a foot or two down, a normal spade is easier I reckon.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 11:59am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds complicated Bazza. Best option. Back boat up to hole . Tilt prop down ,start motor,all done LOL
No seriously dont try that either.

Just get a spade,call it a spade and dig ,dig. Can already feel the pain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:39pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx guys ... now even the owners know how it works & what it is, which they didn't up
until then.

Must say as others have mentioned, as with most demos with various products, it does not work as easily as they show .... note the time lapse between digging.

May work ok in soft soil but is bloody hard slow work digging in clay, have only managed about 250 mm in over half an hour nevertheless will be worth the effort if the water drains which I reckon there is only a 50 / 50 chance or less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
vermin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bazza - they are used a lot by fencers who want to make a deep (600mm) hole but with a smaller diameter i.e. less concrete. for hard ground you need a long metal bar to break it up. as CA said use a spade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hire a post hole auger. can get moterised and manual
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:33pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi mate im a horticulturist and the best way to plant hibiscus with heavy ground is to plant only half the root ball in the hole and build the ground up over the balance of roots, this time of year place a slow release fertilizer on the top and mulch the ground . be where of frosts as hibiscus do not like it , if frosted in spring trim back to green wood, about early to mid September.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 6:28pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

Hi mate im a horticulturist and the best way to plant hibiscus with heavy ground is to plant only half the root ball in the hole and build the ground up over the balance of roots, this time of year place a slow release fertilizer on the top and mulch the ground . be where of frosts as hibiscus do not like it , if frosted in spring trim back to green wood, about early to mid September.

Thanx for that Lingee .... the bad news is after boring the hole a total of 75 cm deep the water is still holding below the 30 cm mark so we are currently looking for a suitable bottomless container that was my original idea & would have saved me all the hassle to date.

Alternatively I could build up on the 30 cm level to about 40 cm depth from the surface before the roots
hit the water holding level. In your opinion would 40 cm of soil ( a mix of potting mix, compost & crumbled clay ) be sufficient to plan in keeping in mind the raised top level ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 7:59pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spade to loosen, small spade to remove soil, down to 600 is the best and fastest manual way. (fencer from way back). 
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 2:26pm
Harmul View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Those post hole cleaners are heaps faster than a spade if used correctly. looks as though your mate has given you a budget pair. A good pair would have the arms able to go past each other to give you a wider "mouth". Always use well sharpened, can be handy for cutting thru tree roots and the like. Used properly you should be able to dig a 300mm wide hole a metre deep in a few minutes if soft soil, and no longer than 10 mins in hard rocky earth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 3:59pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

When we were on our 10 acre block I planted 400 vines so as to make my own wine.
Put in most of the poles myself when the contractor with a tractor mounted rammer
found the ground too hard in places consequently after deciding to quit had most of
the ones that he had driven at varying angles & well out of line. He came knocking
on the door asking to be paid but I pointed out he had made a real mess that I would
now have to dig out & start from scratch. As a concession agreed to pay him for any
that were inline & driven in straight which were few  far between so he left with neither
of us feeling happy about the outcome.

Anyway I set about the arduous task of setting them in by hard which needed boring
holes, so am fairly familiar with the various hole borers including the petrol driven, but
had not encountered the Bailey type before.

Anyway all the hard work now done with a 750 mm hole dug thru compacted sticky clay
& a square planting hole about 350 x 350 x 450 deep & will be raised on top like a partially
flattened Egyptian pyramid with stones raked over.

Before someone mentions it ..... yes I do realise at this stage it looks rather like a bush
camp long drop, but reckon once the wooden frame ( sitting on 4 small concrete pods ) 
is no longer visible below the mound of soil mix, with a cover of stones, it will probably 
look more like a bush graveyard.

Incidentally as hibiscus tend to be somewhat frost tender chose on that is mildly frost
resistant plus is planted under the eaves & guttering which should give added protection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 11:46pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

No mean feat I can assure you but the wife admitted to being pleased with the end result & the last time that occurred was back in the nineteen seventies or thereabouts.