Nausea?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nausea?
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 11:59am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is it normal to get nausea when freediving or am I a bit specialLOL
I never got it on scuba but have recently started freediving. Scallops last weekend was fine but looking for crays this weekend was terrible. Have had it a few times now. Floored me for 20 mins and had to stop. Maybe because I'm upside down twisting around looking under rocks instead of down and along the seabed then back up or maybe because viz was bad and kelp swaying one way and the other........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 1:38pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting sea sick snorkeling in churning dirty water isn't uncommon.

Clear calm water + nausea might be an ear thing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote i-spear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:17pm
i-spear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In summer it happens to me all the time. I overheat and can't tell i'm so hot while wearing my wetsuit. Try diving without your hood on and without gloves if you can. Also forcing water down your suit between dives helps - also drink heaps. You could also try a sleeveless wetsuit.

If your not overheating it might be the lube you are using in your wetsuit. Stay away from stuff using heaps of chemicals like shampoo and conditioner - over time it gets into your skin and makes you feel ill. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:06pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First time it happened was up north and I figured I was getting too hot as I've only tried in summer. I have been diving without a hood as 5mm suit a bit much in this weather but still felt hot on the last dive. That might explain why I don't get sick on scuba as I'm not finning on the surface in the sun. Drinking bundaberg GB seems to help once I get it. I'm not giving up as I'm sure there will be way around it. Hopefully not an inner ear thing. Sounds like it's not that uncommon. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote cartoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:09pm
cartoonz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

JW, all of the above comments are spot on. A couple of ice cold beers when you get home will certainly help your upset tummy....

Toonz Geek

Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing club.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:30pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 4:38pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Swimming in krill=blerrrgchhhhh.
For me anyway!
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote i-spear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 11:21pm
i-spear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you guys and your 5mm suits. I wear 3mm year round to try and stop overheating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 1:07pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Swell and poor vis can get to me pretty badly. Try eating some crystallized ginger before diving seems to work wonders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 2:36pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That bundaberg gb stuff helps once back on board.Will try crystallized ginger before I get in there. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:39pm
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Several folks have alluded to using ginger & they're spot on. Whether it's crytallized or whatever ginger does have a great effect on nausea. I grew up on boats & been diving for well over a decade & never had nausea in the water til recently. Still only had it a couple times & both have been in spots with a lot of surge. Tried the ginger option after a local mate recommended it & sorted me out just fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote i-spear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:46pm
i-spear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If your getting sea sick by all means try ginger. But if you are overheating and ignoring the problem or want to hide the symptom instead of resolving it you could get into serious trouble.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:52am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I get it if I have been on a long car journy beforehand but I dont get carsick.

If I know its going to be rough I take a seasick pills. Paihia Bomber or Takapuna Torpedo.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dunel442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:04pm
dunel442 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone ever tried Sea Legs tablets or something similar? Or is that the "weak" option?

And does anyone know what kind of affect they have on blood pressure/heart rate/general mental state?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 1:50pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sea legs work fine for me. I take a couple the day before and another one the morning I am going out. They don't seem to work at 'short notice'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 8:43pm
shiraz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A kina - morning, noon & nightWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:50pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by dunel442 dunel442 wrote:

Has anyone ever tried Sea Legs tablets or something similar? Or is that the "weak" option?
Sea Legs have not worked for me in the past. Nausicalm from the chemist has rarely failed me. You don't have to take them the night before and they don't make me drowsy. I can get sick pretty easily depending on conditions and lack of sleep/beer excess the night before. Cheers