Silver Carp Farming in Taupo now approved..

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote gunangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silver Carp Farming in Taupo now approved..
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:25pm
gunangler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Grass Carp farm at Taupo seems top have fallen under the radar with anglers and has now been approved by the minister. Quite frankly if they escape which they will you can write off the Taupo fishery....  Of course we have all the assurances in the world they will not escape but they have all over the world and there is no reason they will not end up in Lake Taupo.... These assurances are coming from the same department that said catfish would not thrive in Lake Taupo... We now have Catfish and turtles in Taupo so now it will be Grass Carp and Silver Carp. No one in Doc is holding thier hand up and saying we got it wrong with catfish... instead they are recommending carp ?????
Silver carp eat plankton which is the food source of the smelt... at 40kg they eat a lot of plankton in a day...

The Minister of Conservation is not concerned with preserving pristine New Zealand and our way of life but is a Minister of "development" and encouraging enterprise that will cater to the Auckland Asian market as well as setting up fish out ponds at Taupo.
Nowhere have we been shown where the water is coming from and more importantly where it is going.... who pays if they escape into lake Taupo and destroy the valuable trout fishery. All in all you really have to have rocks in your head to put Lake Taupo in jeopardy just to raise some highly invasive  Asian  fish for the Auckland live fish market. Do it Auckland.
Anglers around here are advocating civil disobedience, direct action and all sorts of things..They are so angry....
You need to write to Maggie Barrie and tell her she has rocks in her head!
Here is a TV news item I did on last nights TV3 news...
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/lake-taupo-carp-farm-faces-opposition-2016013018#axzz3ylt1gfE5

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That is crazy~~what the hell do they think they're doing?

First time I've heard of turtles in the lake~~can you tell us more Alan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is not good news. Comfirms to me that the authorities in this country are tripping and stumbling through the dark not knowing where the next cliff is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:34pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same, turtles! If cold blooded turtles can survive there, then so can carp....after all, those rivers in the states that are bouncing with carp FREEZE in the winter ffs.
If the want carp in NZ anywhere, put them on great barrier or somewhere, somewhere FAR AS POSSIBLE from our trout streams!
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:40pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Google tells me that "a few" turtles have been found but the reports are mainly 2013 & 2014.
Has there been a population explosion since then?

http://www.3news.co.nz/environmentsci/turtle-captured-in-lake-taupo-2013081412#axzz3ymIHVYqx

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 2:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

They should pin down the directors of this company, make them personally responsible. So, if any escape into the wild, then the costs of removing them, etc etc are to be paid for by the directors, nit the company. Put these guys houses, properties etc entirely on the line, total financial ruin if the fish escape. Shouldn't be a problem if they are so sure it is safe.....unlimited liability.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 4:39pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They say no chance of escaping - yeah right. 
Sounds crazy to me...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 5:26pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's fkn DISGUSTING!... again, I don't won't to get banned so will bite my lip!... Turtles! Bizzare... never knew that!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the 80s we had the big  market determines the economy , hands off , self regulation BS to the extreme come in.
Which included possum , farming , ferret stoats, permitted keeping of rabbits, and import of lizards and turtles.
The possum and ferret industry collapsed  which resulted in opening the gates up ... yep quite a few documented and undocumented cases on that... devastated the local weka/ bird populations
And we wonder why we have 1080 now
the turtles...
Stop off for a pee at Huntly sometime, and wander down the bank... usually see several turtles swimming around....occasional one out the back of Aka Aka in the drains also.
Once upon a time we had noxious  weeds.... and councils hit ppl hard...now we have some PC BS mild name for them.
The right claim no regulation , free markets blah blah... yet is not the government there to protect bad practice by regulation?
It is not in legislation or regulation it is legal....I"t is the legal responsibility of directors to maximise the return to the share holders legally...If it is immoral but legal they are still legally obliged to maximise returns or leave themselves open to prosecution... If they can put a case that will legalise the farming of a noxious species  that is currently banned .........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Let's put our red flags back in the closet for a second shall we.
For the record, I oppose carp farming here in NZ possibly as much as you Steps.
I would like to know why they are seeking to put these damn things so close to taupos hugely important trout fishery.....are they thinking of using the same hot geothermal waters that the prawn farms use? Perhaps they think these fish need such hot water to live in, and that this is why the could not survive in our cold plateau waters....which I do not believe either.
I don't believe their claims of the impossibility of escapes into the environment, or we wouldn't have catfish in the lake or Kois in the Waikato.

Hard to believe doc would be quiet about this , but then again, they don't like trout either, so ........

Are there any recreational fishing groups aware of and opposing this that we can get more information about it from?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:51pm
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is crazy. Seems like this government is intent on destroying what's left of the beautiful environment in NZ. Question is do enough people care to stop stuff like this happening? Seems to me most of the general public are apathetic towards environmental issues, which I find incredibly sad
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

It's fkn DISGUSTING!... again, I don't won't to get banned so will bite my lip!... Turtles! Bizzare... never knew that!

Ummm you wont get banned for saying that Andrew. People who have been suspended bring it on themselves usually for abusive posts toward other members of the forum.

Post away Smile

Anyway, that is absolutely ridiculous to farm these fish anywhere near lakes such as Taupo. As for turtles they are starting to show up all over the place. My wife found one crossing the road about a year ago and were dead smack bang in the middle of the sticks.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gunangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:44pm
gunangler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is the press release I did on Friday which promoted this....

Anglers Angry At Carp Farm Planned For Lake Taupo

Press Release from the NZ Outdoors Party
29/1/2015

“Anglers around Taupo and throughout the country are angry about the proposed Grass & Silver Carp farm at Taupo which has already been approved by DoC and Fish and Game” said Alan Simmons leader of the NZ Outdoors Party.. Mr Simmons said “that the proposal had largely fallen under the radar during the Xmas holiday period with public notices only appearing in a national daily newspaper outside of the region, but as the proposal has become clearer anglers are now showing anger with the proposal.
The Federation of Freshwater Anglers which represents thousands of fishing club members around New Zealand is horrified by the proposal and has strongly objected to the Department of Conservation.
Silver Carp are regarded as a highly invasive species all over the world and are causing huge problems in some countries requiring massive extermination efforts as has happened in the United States. “Why can we not learn from other countries mistakes?” asked Alan Simmons.
“While we are assured the fish cannot escape, they do, and have everywhere they have been introduced and once in lake Taupo they will destroy our wonderful clean lake and trout fishery.
The NZ Outdoors Party is vehemently opposed to any Silver Carp farm anywhere near lake Taupo” said party leader Alan Simmons.
Silver carp breed by swimming up rivers to lay their eggs in huge numbers and because they have no stomach they eat endlessly on plankton, the same food that smelt eat, with smelt making up 99% of the trout diet, anything that affects smelt affects the whole multimillion dollar trout fishery which the people of Taupo rely on for a living.

Mr Simmons said “the fish grow to a huge size, like 40 plus kilos and a fish of that size consumes a lot of plankton in 24 hours. Known as the jumping fish in the USA as they leap up to 3 meters from the water when startled they are an extremely difficult fish to catch as they are plankton eaters.

Mr Simmons said “he just cannot understand how the Department of Conservation could allow any such proposal that would endanger the pristine waters of Lake Taupo. I recall being told by officials that the catfish which also is an invasive species would not impact on Lake Taupo and would not thrive. Now they are seen in huge schools of several thousand fish. Those same officials are now telling us Silver Carp farming is safe and that the fish cannot escape, regardless nothing is stopping a human from transporting some a few kilometers and letting them go as they did with the catfish.”

“If someone from Gisborne wants to farm grass or silver carp at Taupo for the Asian live fish Market in Auckland then let them do it in Auckland and not next to one of the worlds most pristine and beautiful lakes.”
“The proposal also is seeking consent to open fish out ponds for the Asian tourist again putting the established fishery at risk just to please an Asian tourist culture. It is the New Zealand culture and way of life we should be showing off!”

Alan Simmons called on all anglers to urgently voice their concern to the Minister of Conservation immediately before she approves the farm which is supposed to be in the next few weeks.

Alan Simmons
NZ Outdoors Party
www.outdoorsparty.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 12:02am
Titanium
Titanium

Ok, that is from our point of view. I would like to know the counter argument, although it would not change my mind, this is an absurd idea.
So, who do we write to, to protest this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:48am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just went to make sure that F&G are strongly apposing this and found this???????

WHAT THE???????????  

Some one tell me im wrong, but I seem to be reading that F&G are signing off on it going ahead?  Has someone been putting acid in the drinking water at F&G council meetings????? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:58am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought we were told to go kill/report carp in our waterways? What do you do with carp? is it edible?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 9:31am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

I just went to make sure that F&G are strongly apposing this and found this???????

WHAT THE???????????  

Some one tell me im wrong, but I seem to be reading that F&G are signing off on it going ahead?  Has someone been putting acid in the drinking water at F&G council meetings????? 

Very concerning. Clearly we no longer live in the age of reason.
This is similar vein to the Australian green party recently endorsing G. E.
Have all these groups been corrupted and bought.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 11:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Or maybe they are possessed of more information than us, that is why I am asking a few questions.
I would not worry quite so much if these fish were in, say, huntly, or whangarei, or Westport. But too near Taupo, I do not like that. ARE they there to use the geothermally heated waters?
I don't like carp, I think it is too damn dangerous to have them here, especially this close to our world class trout fisheries, but it would be interesting to see a bit more info on the whole thing.
That fish and game are happy about it....that is a bit mind blowing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gunangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 12:46pm
gunangler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Everyone has been hoodwinked by this proposal.... They have made claims that are quite incorrect about survival in NZ.... They placed the adds in Wgtn papers and no one at Taupo was aware this was happening...
Anger is widespread with people calling for direct action if the fish are bought to Taupo..... Some claim they are already here and that they have been here without legal authority for months.... Don't know the truth of that but a lot of emotion in this one....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Bloody sad  that this is happening.
Alan, I'm still interested in your comment about the "millions of turtles" in Lake Taupo.
Can you elaborate for us please?
Page  123>