Sounders?

Page  <1234 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:29pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol, probably the best of the lot..... 😊
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mike_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:09pm
mike_e View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not much I can say to the original poster except "ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha , good one noddy"
If you can go home and pull a $100 bill out , and flush it down the toilet, and if that doesn't bother you, then go ahead and buy a boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:35pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find the GPS more useful than the sounder. Ive bern fishing from Tairua long enough to know when to go where and, what to do when we get there and it seems to get me by.

Capt A hit the nail on the head, a little thing called Safety.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:39pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

thinking back to when we never had all the above gadjets,
we caught way more fish then than now, we had no limit on any fish at all,
then the the Labour Government "David Lang" did the dirty on us and GAVE the fish "Long story short" to the fishing companies,

when the first sounders come out, it was after World War 2,
My Uncle owned the Florence Kennedy the sounder was a round ring which bleeped every time it found fish, 
charter those days would be with 20 to 30 fishermen all with handlines and a woven sack to keep your fish in, no plastic bags back then.

within a few year the fish were being screwed by Fishing companies demanding more fish from their boats,

now it was getting serous, less fish, we copped it fair between the eyes within a span of about 20 years we had a reduction in snapper from no  restrictions to 60 to 30 to 20 to 15 to 10/9 to now 7 
all because the Fishing companies could not catch the allocation they had been given fast enough,

my Grandfather was a excellent fisherman, we had a clinker built boat with a Seagull on the back, we went no further out than Browns Bay reef, we lined up everything via land marks then dropped the anchour.

i continually fished like this till i was 40 years old infact my land marks were so accurate i never need any gadgets until i started working for fishing tackle company now i had to venture further away from AK hence the reason i first started using them and i believe this is were they come into there own...

if you need any proof of my above story say so i will put up photos so you can see for your self.       

Excellent Lethal, I'm definately out of your Grandfathers mould, i putt out in me little boat, couple of bucks of gas. Sometimes less than a K out, never more than three, use my same landmarks everytime and look at the results i get! Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:40pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing Capt Pugwash said actually seems silly. For example, there are other restrictions in force - eg number of hooks, length of fish, number of fish. So I cant see why some have reacted personally.
Fair enough question. But, I think the use of electronics to help catch fish, has become so entrenched, that any move to ban it would be extremely difficult to achieve. Although , perhaps it would achieve a waking up of the great apathetic majority. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Imagine ----if the Ocean going Tuna fleets had no technology. How many more Marlin & Tuna would you be landing this season.

Of if Ernest Hemmingway had fishfinders in his day would he have ever been able to write" The old man of the sea "in such detail from experience .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

depth charges still allowed Wacko
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:54pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was a stupid question and I reacted accordingly because fish finders (sounders) do more than just find fish.  For me, it is a question of being safe on the water and I like to be able to see at a glance how much water I have under my boat at any given time. 
Also, it is useful to know whether the water depth is going shallower or deeper and if I am getting close to a pin or not.  And then of course there is bottom composition....
So sorry, Cpt Pugwash, you lost me at the first hurdle...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should fish finders be banned?

Hell yeah !!!
 but dont ban sounders...right?
My sounder gets used for finding the bottom, type of bottom, foul... and when in the shallow reefs, and close i8n on  cliff walls I NEED to see what is underneath at high tides, so when go in at low KNOW what is there..
Its about safety.
And just cause rec fisherman can see the bloody fish, doesnt mean they can be caught or hungry.

'Cheezzzz wayne'

CA sums this one up real well

Lol, probably the best of the lot.....

Or talk bout opening one mouth to change feet....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pug - if you really want to make some new friends, go to Bingo!
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

From this guy a question like that doesn't surprise me in the least .......oh and you really should of Googled the meaning of your handle name in the urban dictionary prior to calling yourself.... " Pugwash" It's not just a kids 1960's TV show.....
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:57pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Imagine ----if the Ocean going Tuna fleets had no technology. How many more Marlin & Tuna would you be landing this season.

Of if Ernest Hemmingway had fishfinders in his day would he have ever been able to write" The old man of the sea "in such detail from experience .
Just banning the use of helicopters/planes would give the fish a fighting chance.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Based on your reports. I think you need ALL the help you can get
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh lawdy! 
 I use electronics to a massive advantage as a lot do... but that said I can still catch fish with out em especially those big inshore snapper. not rocket science. 

We should ban Lure fishing as well, cause they have helped many people catch fish they wouldn't normally.
 Perhaps braid as well because now we can be actively catching fish for longer because the gears so much lighter
 Best get rid of the Four strokes too. Quieter and more efficient giving better stealth and more range. 
 And by god certainly Jig's because there lethal on the king fish and definitely Synit rods. 

Problem is I like bling so by the time I take all this off half the fun is kind of gone as well :P... 

That's one of your not so thought out questions Pugsy. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:24pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just my two cents worth. The original question was, "should fish finders be banned?'. No mention of sounders as some on here have prattled on about, and become unnecessarily personal about in my opinion.
I understood the question and in some respects I am in agreement. If the trawlers had only sounders/bird finding radar et al they would have to use experience/records to find the schools. A relatively small advantage to the fish I agree. As per my last post, the banning of helicopters/planes for spotting schools of fish would give the fish a fighting chance. The same for rec fishers. No fish finders or planes :-). As a couple have already said. They go on experience, records and skill.
The other side of the coin of course is commercially caught fish would/could become more expensive. Probably too expensive and there is also the chance of greater juvenile mortality.
Personally, I thought the question was thought provoking and worthwhile of a productive discussion. Not the venom that some have chosen to spew forth.
Cheers.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hey guys take it easy on poor old Pugwash. I'm sure he has taken all the electronics off his little boat. I use my FF to find fish but more often to see where I'm going. I reckon the sooner we go back to paper charts and sextants the better!

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fisheries management, the sooner we ban rods and reels the better. I think we should all be using cat gut handlines that were popular when I was a kid. My sister is a hardcore cat lover, any ideas on how I can break the bad news to her?

Why not even ban boats? I'm all for it, my boat costs me a fortune. You ask the big questions Pugwash and there is going to be some soul searching going on in the forums tonight.

Hey, I got a better idea! Let's ban all forms of fishing. And hunting! Wouldn't the world be better off if we were all vegans?

I'm in! I'm on the journey to a better future, who is joining me?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:28pm
Cpt.Pugwash View Drop Down

Radar detectors in cars are illegal so why not consider banning recreational and commercial usage of fishfinding electronics and aviation?

Could possibly  change the whole zoning and rights question.

Leave snapper1 as is and ban electronics ( fishfinding) on boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Absolutely! Man this is an enlightening thread. Tomorrow I'm throwing out my radar detector! I've never even had a speeding ticket in my boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK, who is in favour of a fish fiinder ban? Lets have a poll.
#1 means yes you have a fish finder #2 means you agree with Pugwash.

I Will start the ball rolling.

#1 Yes

#2 No
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:46pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I think you better think of the electronic firms that help sponsor this site before you go opening that can of worms smudge....
www.synit.co.nz
Page  <1234 7>