where to get a SL20sh pimped

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to get a SL20sh pimped
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:45pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i have a 5 year old diawa SL20 that has seen alot of service. it doesn't feel so smooth winding under load so me thinks its due for a bearing to be replaced.
anyone out south east auckland that does a good job?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:15pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Contact Swordfish Steve bro he will sort it out for.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:23am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If Steve is AFW then try the Daiwa SLX tutorial at Alan Tani's site.
It is close enough to be a useable guide.

Search and you can get the bearing dimensions there also.

I think these are correct.

3x10x4  spool
8x16x5 handle/driveshaft
6x10x3 (Side cap I think. I have it written down but cant remember right now.)

They are very easy to service.

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:35am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have used Swordfish Steve (drag upgrade and blue printing on an Avet SX) and Jeff Murray (carbontex drags into a Torium 16) - both did excellent jobs
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

have serviced this and other reels. actually, have never had anyone else aervice my reels. but have never had to replace bearings.
guess that is testament to the classic reels like the slosh's!

will read alans blog on this reel and see if i can find the bearings before booking it in sonewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:32pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had SwordfishSteve pimp my SL50sh with Carbontex drag..........buttery smooth with no jerkiness.
Got some Boca orange seal ceramic bearings in a Calcutta, had them in a Curado201 and on freespool it would spin for over a minute!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:18pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

its fairly easy doing all the bearings and carbon drag washers your self :) you could try Bocca (spelling) ceramic bearings or normal ones

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 10:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

i ended up selling it and replacing with a new one. might have it pimped when it finally needs work. should be in about 5 or 10 years!