Kingies on the flats

Page  <12345 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:42pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Adam, chill brah... no way I would ever post a fly fishing spot online... trolls everywhere.

I actually meant the spot wasn't that secret among the fly fishers.

Agree, Gordy will catch kings if he gets a sniff of where they're at. You take a guy who has fished flats most of his life around Florida etc and put him into a spot like that, you're going to see results. One of the reasons I love fishing with him, 'cause he gets it when the water gets super skinny.

Early start tomorrow. Had my own success this evening and will do again in the morning no doubt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:09pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ya maybe slightly overreacted there!apologys
Paranoia,
side effect from past activitysLOL

tomoro is lookin like a day ya dream off.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:38pm
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Big G at it again hey, his radar is on and he's unstoppable I am told! Can't wait to see him in action.
Had a look briefly today not far from my work as usual...... No kingies still but the snapper are starting to smash the flounder!!! Saw a great splashing miss with the little fella flipping like mad to get away! Was pretty cool 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah  its a crack up,
one watching the Flounder trying to get away,
and second the snap trying to get his mouth over it!
been seeing it on nearly every flat visit,
hard to target tho,
almost impossible to sight the snaps or predict.
could be possible on some super clear water,
have yet to see a decent snap doing it, just little fellas,
maybe when the bigger fellas become more prevalent towards autumn.
definetly an option for someone after a snap on a dry fly.
been thinking that a snap mite sit under trees hanging of cliffs for cicadas,
been lookin, yet to see a rise.
have heard a rumour of a few years back of an angler scoring snap on cicada dry.
yet to confirm.
definetly possible, foods food.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 10:12pm
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Snapper on cicada..... Now that would be interesting..... Prob get cicadas dropping off mangroves when they are really dropping??? Have only seen decent pannies, no real monsters, picked up a couple casting around the splashes, but like you say, almost impossible to predict, and I think on occasions I have been lucky to have guessed and thrown fly in right direction...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 10:30pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The weekend is looking good - warm water, plenty of water movement to stir up the predators, and hopefully the wind speed will stay low.Thumbs Up

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 7:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, I've had a couple of looks on close-by flats in the last couple of days- great tides with excellent current flow coming out of some of the small estuaries that empty onto the flats. Lots of bait, but no kings. These were lunchtime trips mind you. Dawn trips are back on the agenda this week. Bit easier it's now a 6.30 dawn and not 5.00am Smile

But it still looks like I have to get out of the BOI's for decent flats fishing. Great tides early next week for some west coast or far north spots. There might be a bit of easterly at 20kt, but will still be able to see scattering bait. If anyone keen on a far north drive let me know Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 9:04am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some info for you guys which might provoke a few thoughts, 40 odd years ago we got a heap of good snapper up to about 12 pound off the rocks at Ocean Beach (Whangarei Heads) which were chock a block of black beetles. That was a year when there was huge numbers flying around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 11:07am
Virtualgamble View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Some boat work I thought I would share/workshop with fellow flats addiction sufferers.  Appreciate feedback, as long its generous and flattering - but seriously, interested in what others are doing to get towards flats skiffs here in NZ. 
Prototype bow casting deck now installed and secured in place, to go with poling platform on the back.  Front platform needs skateboard grip and anchor well trap door.  All a bit of a rush for Tauranga but it will get the front fisherman up off the water a bit and provide some line management space.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:34pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great looking work there VG! Does the grab rail surround on the drivers screen double as a bum-rail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:35pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What are you using for a push pole VG?
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 2:40pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking great.
Maybe paint plywood with paint and grit rather than skateboard tape. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 3:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers.  Drivers screen rail can serve as a bum rest yes and can be grabbed by hand.  But the casting platform is really for the flats and if I am up on the poling platform, its me I need to worry about not the guy on the front. 
For the pole, Kilwell sold me a 32mm OD fibreglass pole for cheap which has been great - Andrew Perring had a crack with it when he came out before xmas.  But its a bit bendy so talked to Kilwell again and they have sent me 37mm OD carbon fibre in 2m sections that got delivered to Omokoroa for the strip strike weekend.  I'll report on its performance if you like. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Paint and grit might work.  What is the recipe?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:21pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Errr, get some paint, get some grit, get them together? 
But seriously, if you like to fish bare foot don't use the paint and grit/sand it gets very tough on bare feet over a day's fishing. I suggest instead you look for some non slip matts, you know the stuff that stops keys and cell phones sliding around and glue them to the floor, softer on the feet and easy to replace a needed.
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:11pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I pain't ed the floor of my last boat with a product called Treadgrip.   Can't seem to find it online these days so must have stopped production?   Was a paint with choppec neoprene bits in it. Was brilliant.   Easy on the feet, very grippy and could be touched up at any point, oh and was tintable so you could have any colour you wanted.

Found it....http://www.allmarine.co.nz/painting/tredgrip-4-litre
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:26pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

for non slip decks kiwi grip is a great product, its acrylic and not evasive to your feet. been on butchs boat for a couple of years and still wearing tuff.

With Kiwigrip its not whats in the paint that makes it textured but the applictaor that you use to apply it. You mask off where you dont want it and roll it on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Good stuff guys.  I have decided the prototype works great with skateboard grip but looks bad so will incorporate these good ideas for version two point oh. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Virtualgamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 12:33pm
Bronze
Bronze

Just back from a week at Parengarenga - because I am a sight fishing nut-job, I spent most of my time looking (and insisting the guy on the front look too!).  Saw fish every day with only slim chances until the last couple of days when we hit the jackpot.  But summing up, it was an amazing week. 
Saw a big king tailing, 5 snapper on a black ray (who knew?), lost count on snapper sightings in 2 to 3 feet of water, lost count on kingfish too.  Got a heart stopping take from a snapper by putting a fly on the bottom in front of him, stripping then pausing then stripping and watching the snapper pounce like a bonefish.  Immediately broke off but I was so elated with the cat and mouse game I didn't care.   Broke off on a number of flats kings including a 30 pounder but hooked and landed a few.  Blind "meat" fishing for snapper on the last day wasn't bad either. 

Saw Milan, Nathan and Nikolaj (Big Angry Fish) too and had a quick chat with them - nice guys. 

Got food for thought on terminal rigging (increased breaking strain and better leader to fly line connection) and boat modifications.  Poling platform absolute must to take advantage of options there.  And lots to think about for trying to find similar habitat/location situations locally. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:14pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done!
You cant eat my toast fish
Page  <12345 6>