Taupo - Tongariro, Waitahanui & Lake Ohakuri

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taupo - Tongariro, Waitahanui & Lake Ohakuri
    Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:08pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spent about a week in Taupo before Xmas and bagged a few. A bit on the small size but good fun....

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:38pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks enjoyed the underwater footage looked like some nice weather on the lake.  Liked.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Macskipper, Im inspired to return to the fly tying vice after the trip down there!
My drone was getting maintenance, I wish I had taken it with me, could have been very cool....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 10:20am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done - good effort and variety of techniques and locations fished.
Interesting alot of those trout were silver and reasonably fresh run for this time of year - shows you that the trout pretty much go up the river all year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 10:25am
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Really enjoyed that, and brought back great memories of my time on the Tongariro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 12:26am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool clip LBGer, enjoyed that, some stunning water.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 9:54am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boy, they were small fish out of the waitahanui mouth! Still, great spot, and it is , as you say, as much the scenery as the fish.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi folks , happy new year all . I am thinking of possibly heading down for a few days in the next week or so . Intend to river fish Hinemia or TT . Have not been down this time of year and wondering what the crowds would be like . Would it be busy due to holidays or are a lot of flyfishers at their beach housesLOL
Be keen to give dry fly a go , assume Hine best for that.
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PartnerOutdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:32pm
PartnerOutdoor View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The whole tongariro but in particular the lower section, the TT, the 'hine and the 'nui are all excellent dry fly waters in summer! get in there mate
Where value meets quality
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:40pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Crowds will be pretty non existent mainly but always the odd fisherman about Smile
I have never summer fished the Hine but has to be worth a go. Tongariro still has plenty of fish in it and a dry dropper in the runs worked real well for me 3 weeks ago and caught three fish on the rise the other night. Bit of sunshine will help. Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 7:48pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys
Been a while, so looking forward to having a crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 4:58pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fished the lake in the weekend, 11 in total all small
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Time_Bandit Time_Bandit wrote:

fished the lake in the weekend, 11 in total all small
Hi Time bandit - am hoping to get out on lake taupo over next few weeks - were you on this lake?  - were you harling/trolling or jigging?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

harling, but I hear jigging is good at Waitahanui at the mo
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:30am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome vid. Considering I lived in Turangi for 25 years had almost forgotten how good the trout fishing was and still is. World class.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 12:36pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been a bit quiet on here so thought to put something up. Had a week in Turangi from 11th to 17th July. Family trip so had to keep management happy therefore not a full on fishing buzz. Drew the short straw to be honest , fishing on the Tongariro had been tough with many regulars choosing other activities. Not going to catch anything if you don't have a line in the water , I know that much. After a lot of hard work managed this nice hen from a popular town pool I normally avoid due to crowds (not bridge pool) , went for an afternoon ramble and noted nobody there , I was initially heading further upstream. Shall I , yeh why not , probably been thrashed but give it a go. Now what fly to use on point , local angler had advised me trout very selective at this time. Ok , so I went with the one I could get the bloody nylon through the hole in , have not fully accepted I need glasses now so they were stowed at bottom of my pack. Picked a nice spot about midway up pool that had fishy looking water , foam lines and eddies. 1st cast just to get line played out , 2nd cast , nice drift , quick mend , drifting nice , plop went indicator , strike came up  , crikey it's not another snag , this one's moving , yeah.
Nice hen , been a while and hard work so was stoked.

Next mission was to get old mate his first trout , he managed one last year , however it was barely legal and not best condition so ashamed to admit he/we kept it, as his first fish. Let's say mission was first decent fish. We had previously had a look at Hinemaiaia stream but water was low, clear and a lot of angler pressure. He was due to head home , I convinced him to stay one more night as had a bit of rain from passing front and was a small window that would be fishable before the next storm came through. I asked you been practising that roll casting I showed you, "NO", ok you been practising any casting "NO" , ok make sure your fly box full and have your glasses handy.LOL
So early start next morning. Bit of colour in the stream this time. I managed 2 fish that I released , had him fishing at 1st choice spot above me , he was actually casting and fishing ok , a few trees were well decorated but he was managing some nice drifts when I saw his indicator plop. Was a bit of a nervous drawn out battle , end result not a bad Jack. Highlight of the trip for both of us , well deserved as we certainly put the work in. Old mate proudly posing.

He was that stoked , he stood sideways for photo , not sure what's going on there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 1:45pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done - im there mid august so will report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 4:08pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im there next week, will post if there is something to report......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 7:10pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You weren't wrong about the Tonga being hard. We fished down past the Bain pool last Sunday morning, for one darkie. Then went up and Fished, the sand, Whitikau and Blue pools. Mate got a couple from the far side just below the blue pool, then we fished Boulder reach for nuffink, then one last cast in the hydro pool for more nuffinks.

Still a nice day on the river in some bloody gusty wind. Fishing for the first time ever without sunnies and nailed myself right between the eyes with a 4mm tungsten nymph! Sorta lucky and unlucky all at the same time. Nek Minnit.....Glasses on!
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 7:46pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lucky shot Bob , had a friendly tourist pull a hook out the back of my top which was just out of reachLOL got a bit tricky for my own good working on TRC. We actually left the same Sunday , thought things were starting to improve , sign being an increase in locals at the Bridge pool. Saw a couple get caught during the 10 minutes we were watching.
Looks like a few guns heading down soon so look forward to some reports. Will keep my finger on the trigger and head down in about 3 weeks for a quick visit hopefully.

Page  12>