Aotea harbour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aotea harbour
    Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 6:55pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looking to have some trips there as a change from the Bop in the dark and snapper. trevs and big kahawai in daylight and perhaps some Gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 7:50pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's a nice spot you should have no probs with the snaps,ky & trevs but you might find it hard to find any gurnard, my family have fished there (although not much in recent times) since the 1930's and i only know of 2 good gurnard being caught, but you can see plenty of juveniles when dragging a net ??. They do get plenty of them in Kawhia harbor though  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 8:06pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for that keen to try new venue guess I just walk towards the entrance?
Kawhia harbour down past the marae looks like another worthwhile spot for similar species.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 8:27pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep in the bay just before the entrance last 2 hrs out & first 2 hrs of incoming tide as there will be plenty of current but if they are small tides you may get a bit longer. Another good spot to try is where you launch the boats there are mussel lines there (spat only I think)either end but prob the southern end where another channel branches off, if you go there take tall mate and a flounder net with you and you should get a feed of them there. Himmmm I need to get back out there myself and get a feed of them flounders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's great thanks I'll look on Google maps and plan for trips in late summer/autumn and report back, be great to have a viable daylight venue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GruntaSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 8:02am
GruntaSport View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just picked up a nice trev for breakfast off Lawton Drive