Tongariro Delta lake Taupo

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice - good colour in those fish. My old mate Barry has been getting a few Kinloch area down to 60m jigging

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:24pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was up in kuratau over easter. Lake was calm most of the time. Found the fishing tough. Fished pukawa bay, stump bay, kuratau cliffs, omori stream over the times. Most luck off the omori stream.
Trout taking smelt flies and were very fussy. I was fishing without a leader and had lots of strikes without hookups. Wonder if this was why?

The best of what we got
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks an ok fish to me mate - mostly jigging or a bit of everything?
Did you try at Delta?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:47pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Only jigging.
Where is the delta?? is that the area as you come out of tokkanu, into the tokkanu hole, where all the swans etc are?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:00pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The delta is where the tongariro river enters Lake Taupo - about 5 minutes from the end marker Tokaanu heading around to right will get you to main mouth. Sometimes there is a smaller flow into the lake much closer to Tokaanu - look out for yellow black markers - stay 300m away from them if trolling/jigging - check regulations.. 
The Tokaanu hole is a good jigging spot  - only  approx 100m from last Tokaanu marker - you will see drop off on sounder. Alot of fish caught there mostly jigging but also flyfishing and trolling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yup i fished 300m off the tongariro, around 40m, nothing, i never have anyluck around that area tho. Any tips for there
?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:33pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught more jigging back Tokaanu hole area - sometimes find fish in the sounder half way round but not often. Off Omori, Pukawa and the timeshare in the bush near the cliffs is better but must admit to not knowing that area well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:33pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Old thread here I'm raking up.

I'm heading to a bach in Motuoapa in a few weeks. Is it worth dragging the boat down to have a go at jigging in mid June?

I've never fished Lake Taupo before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:31am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wouldnt hurt - should be concentrations fish to jig on outside the 200m limit of river mouths - trolling is always consistent that time of year 6 colours lead line.  
Page  <1 234