My Way to Tie an FG Knot.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Way to Tie an FG Knot.
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:55pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi All Fishos
On another site I saw a discussion about how to join Braid to Mono/fluorocarbon and decided to show the world my easier and faster way to tie a FG knot to join braid to mono. So I got out my gopro and made this video to show how. Thought I would post it here if you are interested.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 4:57am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks - very clear - like way you hold in mouth as I have found braid tends to slip out - simple and obvious once shown. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:02am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work G.

An alternative to holding the braid in your mouth is to tie a loop that you put over the reel handle to tension the braid between the rod tip and the handle. You don't want too much tension though or it will cut through your leader. It's an easy knot to tie. After two wraps each side I pull on both sides of the leader to keep everything nice and even. GSpot doesn't need to do that though, he's got it sussed.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:17am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi smudge. I was just shown the loop over handle trick and looks like a good way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very similar principle to what I do.... far easier and far better set knot if the braid and trace is  tight thtough out tieing the knot.
Rod in holder brake on  thats 1 hand.
The trace.. leave on the reel.. drop on the floor, put your foot on it.

I loop the braid around a thumb, rather than hold in the mouth... started using teeth to hold but tieing the knot up closer to ones face... espec if over 45 yrs old and ones short distance is getting fuzzy... far easier lower and further out from the body... also far better balance when doing in a boat.

Then with ones free hand like him.. just turn the trace thru, .. every 6 to 8 turns, give a quick short pull to keep the turns set... keeping all ends tight, this becomes less critical, and easier to set each group of twists.

When testing , I have found.. like finishing off a bimmini.. the final 1/2 hitches/ loop knots dont add strength, they just stop the knot undoing due to cutting the tag off real short... each one of these must be pulled up tight as they are tied.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 10:22am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm with Smudge as regards using the reel handle to maintain the tension.  Not everyone has good "close-in" vision (as Steps has said) and then there are those of us older folks who wear false teeth - so biting down on the line becomes problematic due to the lack of "feel" .......
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 10:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didnt give the false teeth thing a thought OF.. damn good point... still have (most) of my own teeth.. majority of the mercury filled by dental nurses 'practising ' where no holes where... have now gone or going.

Using the handle... definitely worth looking at....
Its little suggestions things like that, from tieing knots to efficiently filleting a fish that make the difference.
Eg ppl who started at the tail and cut the skin up to the head, started with that cut closer and cut smoother... never got the hang of it, untill after  a day out with a member from here ... sharing a few methods, told be to stick the knife in at the base of the fins above the tail... not at the tail.
Little things make a big difference.
Never stop listening and learning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This is a very good post from GSpot and all the contributors - thank you all!

I will copy it into the Newbies Forum also. IMO there are two classic knots for mono, the uniknot and the clinch knot. In years to come someone will say the same about the FG knot, for a 'special knot' (braid mainline to mono/fluorocarbon trace is what it's for) it's a real gem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 9:52pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gee you guys not learnt to put a screw hook on the boat so you can do the same thing but with a small loop that hooks over the hook and tension is maintained constant and easy with out bleeding gums :P 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 8:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In years to come someone will say the same about the FG knot, for a 'special knot' (braid mainline to mono/fluorocarbon trace is what it's for) it's a real gem.

I think its nearly already here.. At 1st it was difficult to tie on a boat in the original method  as per Big Angry fish type method....same for the bimimi
Now with ppl playing around experimenting, both have become quick easy and very manageable on a boat, and a little practice , damn near eyes closed.
The  'competition' knots like albright, yauka(?), bristol, dont match upto the strength.. but tend to be far more simple, espec the latter 2. And if want to get them stronger, means either a double albright or the latter 2 with doubled line 1st tied with a bimini anyway... Even then all have a larger profil, single or double tied when going thru the rod eyes.

The down side to knots like PR is having to carry  a bobbin.. the carrying and using are not an issue, Its when the bobbin or small tools are put down, forgotten about.. hit a wave and they jump into those lost places never to be found when needed... adding to tieing time, inconvenience , stress etc.
PR is an excellent knot one to be tied  when prep ing the reels before going out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 10:30am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Systems are wonderful things Steps, I have yet to lose a PR Bobbin off the boat, I have however left it at home after prepping in the Garage the night before..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 1:39pm
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The FG is the best knot for joining braid to mono/fluro, Though it did annoy me when first started tying, i found after repeated casting the finish knot would come undone,then one by one the half hitchs would come loose, and i lost a few fish/lures/leaders.
Here was my solution,
1) when doing last 2 half hitches leave then loose with about a 50c size loop
2) make the finish knot but do 5/6 turns through
3) pass the tag end through the 2 loose half hitches,
4) carefully tighten the 2 half hitches, leaving you with what looks like an unfinished uni knot
5) the tricky bit(unless you tie flies, or make rods), now wip the line coming from the last half hitch, around the main line the opposite direction to what the tag end went in step 2)
6) Wet! The loop left, then draw down by pulling the tag end slowly to finish the wip
7) tie a half hitch in tag as close to the main knot as possible, cut a 2mm tag, then with a lighter carefully melt tag down to half hitch to prevent any chance of tag being drawn back through main knot, done.
I have no idea if anyone has done something similar, but I've not named it, and its never let me down yet Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:02pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have played eith the finish 1/2 hitches.. when 1st started, like u tieing these 'woven' type knots  FG bimini.. had trouble with the finish 1/2 hitches laying small and looping.
Them someone mentioned to tie opposite directions...still had some issues....even messed around finishing with a clove hitch ...
Then someone else mentioned to pull each 1/2 hitch up tight... and the give a good jerk.....never had any issues after that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JackSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 7:38am
JackSlayer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice, another good variation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alaxpol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:25pm
alaxpol View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice. thanks for this 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:15am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

finish the fg with a rizzuto knot, doesnt come undone thenWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:48am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tie mine with the braid attached to the base of the lowest guide. I don't put it in the holder it moves around to much for me. I trap the butt on the deck with my foot. Could have a tube mounted for the butt that's a snug fit but it never happens.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old thread but a new Q:- does anyone ever use super glue on their knot when finished?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 6:59pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't heard of that, but i know some people like to coat finished knots with a flexible epoxy style coating.
I've used the same FG on multiple softbaiting trips without any kind of unravelling (with Rizzuto finish). Maybe it's more of a thing with repeated heavy duty top water casting, where the extra force can fray the knot going through the eyes?

In terms of this knot's strength, I am a believer in the Salt Strong guy's tip (see their video on YouTube of the most common mistake with FG knots) to pull very hard on the knot after the first two holding half hitches.

He explains that's the bit that causes the braid to bite down on the leader. If you wait until the end to do a hard tightening for the first time, the knot won't correctly bed down on the leader.

https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js" data-cf-beacon="{"rayId":"6022bebd0efdfb88","version":"2020.12.1","si":10}">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 12:04am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I haven't heard of that, but i know some people like to coat finished knots with a flexible epoxy style coating.
I've used the same FG on multiple softbaiting trips without any kind of unravelling (with Rizzuto finish). Maybe it's more of a thing with repeated heavy duty top water casting.

I use an FG knot for most of my fishing and like TTK it never unravels since using a Rizzuto to finish. It will unravel if you just finish with a half hitch or series of half hitches
Page  12>