Far North turns on some hot fish'n in the 12ft Tin

Page  12>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (13) Likes(13)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Far North turns on some hot fish'n in the 12ft Tin
    Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:05am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well where do I start - Earlier this year I had organized another far North trip for Pea and IBig smile, I had my new 550 Senator and the plan was to head North for labor weekend to chase Kings. We had booked two days off before labors which would give us a 5 day window to fish, I have been fishing the far North for over 20yrs now and our number one spot to stay at is the top 10 holiday park in Whatuwhiwhi.

Staying here allows you to just about fish in any weather the Gods can throw at you, it doesn't matter to much what way the wind is as there are multiple places you can launch from with in 10mins of each other to get a line wet and most times you will still land solid fish even in double figuresThumbs Up - You can even venture to the West Coast if the weather allows.

Leaving straight after work on the Wednesday Pea and I left Auckland but not with my new Senator in tow but a friends small 380 Senator, I had sold my boat to move into a new 550C Osprey so we dropped back to the little tin. If there is one thing I love to do and that is to chase big fish in the 12ft tin, knowing we had options of where to fish weather permitting we weren't to worried we didn't have the big boat. Most of my spots I have fished over the years are in easy reach with a small boat and as stated before no matter where the wind comes from we should be able to find some solid fish....

After reaching the top 10 in Whatuwhiwhi around 9.00pm we unpacked quickly so we could gear up for our first day, I had been keeping the eye on the weather and at first it was looking promising. As the week went on it was changing all the timeAngry, it looked like for our first couple days we would have to fish the coast line around Knuckle point - The wind was semi off shore and it was only a quick 10-15min run from the ramp over the road. The sun rose on our first morning and we were on the water at first light, when we fish the far North we very rarely chase Snapper. We are normally here for the reef fish that we don't get back down home off the Bays - Pea loves the Pig & Parrot fish but we also try to find the likes of Porai, Terakihi and lately we have been catching some big Blue cod and on occasion we have even pulled up some Puka pups off the cape 50mtrs out from the rocksSmile...

Our first day gave us a few mentioned above and it was a great first day on the water -

Friday the wind dropped a bit so we headed out off the bay in the middle of Doubtless Bay, there were a couple of long line boats working and we could see they were pulling some nice fish. We anchored up in around 20mtrs of water - we had been moving around most of the morning with little to show but our first few baits were quickly gobbled up by a few small Snaps around the 40cm, we had brought along a couple of big Burls so we deployed them to see if we could get some bigger mods turning up. Each bait started getting hit and after a good hour all hell was breaking lose, Snapper after Snapper was coming up they were also getting bigger and bigger. We had dropped the Burley half way and this was bring the fish up off the bottom and our baits were getting smashed as we were letting our baits down - The arvo was an epic Snapper Sesh and in the middle of all the action I pulled a healthy Porai and Pea pulled a few big Terakihi and Blue cod which was distend for home.

Saturday was looking like a white wash the rain had set in and the wind was up, we took a ride into Monganui to kill some time and on our return looking out just off the Bay there were Gannets working - The rain was coming down but even though the wind was up, it was off shore and the Gannets were working close. Pea said bugger that (Not as keen as me) so I quickly sorted out the boat and with in 5mins I was towing my lure in the work ups, it was so quick the rod buckled over and I was into my first King with in secondsShocked. I got it boated as soon as I could - being a solo mish I was having to do it all - reverse the boat, chase the fish film it and then land itConfused...What a great fish, it was solid and went 105cm - I quickly unhooked it slipped back into the water and got my lure back in, the birds had moved off while my 10min battle was going on but once again with in sec's of setting it back into the rod holder away it went again...What a magic morning I had in the rain fighting King fish all by my self, I ended up catching 6 all 100-110cm - all went back apart for one that was destined for the Smoker of the boat ownerWink....

Sunday saw the wind switch round to the South and it had dropped a littleThumbs Up, It was all lined up as expected and with an out going tide for the morning this time our destination was launching off Rangiputa - This is a magical place with white sands and crystal clear waters, the place just reeks of fish from big kings, Snapper, Trevs and all sorts of other fish. We towed our lure through a workup that had Gannets diving and scooping up Piper - We have caught some monster kings in this harbor but this time there were none or they just didn't want what we were offering.... With the tide running with the wind we had about 4hrs to fish before the turn and being in the 12ft tin we were wanting to be outa there before the turn - I went to a spot I had fished with my mate Steve on a previously trip and caught some solid fish, firstly we just drifted and my first bait was quickly smashed by something that didn't hook up. I told Pea we need to anchor up and drop the burley (He wanted to shift closer to a cliff for a bit of protection from the wind - Old manLOL) but I was adamant there would be some good fish sitting in the mouth of the harbor...

The pick was dropped and then the burly - my first bait was nibbled at but when I struck - the rod buckled over and my reel started to sing, it was all go from the first bait that was dropped to the last bait used. This spot was on fire and the great thing was nothing was under 40cm, there were solid fish coming aboard left right and center - Pea's smile got bigger and biggerBig smile and we normally don't get to over excited but it was even hard to hold back the occasional yea ha!!! It was a top morning with well over 30-40 solid fish coming aboard and the best part they were all 40-65cm with nothing under sized or close to it...With us going home tomorrow we decided to keep 4 each and we let the rest go to fight another day...

The far North is defiantly a part of me and I feel lost when I haven't been for awhile - It is special with it's pristine beaches and clear water, I wonder how long this playground will be around as each year I head North I do see more and more traffic. I hope to one day get my kids there in hope that they to when older make it a special place of the own...

Tight Lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:15am
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:23am
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:23am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that was a great read mate, really enjoyed it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:51am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome report mate, love it up in the north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plopthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:13am
plopthepilot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great report!

I just bought a place on Tokerau Beach for that exact reason.... the fishing, the beauty, the lack of people (aucklanders.... hypocrite I know!) and for my 11 year old twin boys who are nuts about fishing.... worse than my own addiction!! Hope to be up next weekend to experience it.

cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:28pm
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

very pleasant read!!!! awesome report... jealous heaps!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 3:47pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent report.
One of favourite areas, as you say plenty of options to fish and quite a variety to boot.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 3:48pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Excellent report.
One of my favourite areas, as you say plenty of options to fish and quite a variety to boot.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 5:37pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report and photos, I've recently moved to the area but I'm stuck with my arm in a sling after a shoulder replacement, jealous and impressed!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 5:43pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awsome report and some great photoes there too..!!
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweeet trip aye
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:43pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

As good as it gets Jas - both the fishing and the report. Awesome and 'liked'
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:52pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So good fishing right there.CoolCool

Chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:18pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff..... such an awesome part of the country.....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:27am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been waiting for this one Jas!! Great report and fishing from the small boat! Top Photo's. Liked........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:10pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

As good as it gets Jas - both the fishing and the report. Awesome and 'liked'

Cheers Grant - Love the North it reminds me of the old Bays back in the early 90's....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:14pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Been waiting for this one Jas!! Great report and fishing from the small boat! Top Photo's. Liked........
Cheers Geoff - Yea was a great trip - no reel biggies like the West but tones of 40-60cm every day all day...Love it up thereThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:06pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report and glad you had a good trip.

I have stopped placing pics and reports as I would just be bringing more people up to my area to decimate it. (selfish I know)

You are correct it is seeing lots of new people and more traffic.

I came here so can't say anything against it but would caution against placing such great trip reports if you are worried by the growth.

In the years I have been here I have seen a huge decline in fish and crayfish numbers and feel privilaged to have seen some of what the far north had to offer in the past.

I would guess it is to late anyway with lots of people buying up here to retire and fish.

I went passed the garden patch a week ago and it was blowing like stink and not nice on the saturday and I counted 7 boats within a few hundred meters of each other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:46pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

Nice report and glad you had a good trip.

I have stopped placing pics and reports as I would just be bringing more people up to my area to decimate it. (selfish I know)

You are correct it is seeing lots of new people and more traffic.

I came here so can't say anything against it but would caution against placing such great trip reports if you are worried by the growth.

In the years I have been here I have seen a huge decline in fish and crayfish numbers and feel privilaged to have seen some of what the far north had to offer in the past.

I would guess it is to late anyway with lots of people buying up here to retire and fish.

I went passed the garden patch a week ago and it was blowing like stink and not nice on the saturday and I counted 7 boats within a few hundred meters of each other.
Garry iv'e been plastering reports on here how good the fishing is down here in Mokau for a few years now. Yet makes no differance on people coming to experience it. Apart from us locals next to no one else comes. Why do people always refer to going North for fishing, Don't think iv'e read  on the forum people say they heading  South for a fishing trip ?Stayed top ten motor camp a few times 15 years ago Garry, can you still spear John Dory on day break camp end of Tokerau Beach around the rocks? or pick up hundreds of big Scallops off beaches when strong wind blows a certain way? Did both of these up there-Great experience.
Page  12>