Gamefishing Updates - New Plymouth - Kawhia 15/16

Topic Closed

Page  <1 12131415>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:07am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MandM MandM wrote:

Great day on the water today. Tagged 2 fish on bucket list.
Estimated 95 kg and 130 kg.
Bonze light gauge set up.
Both pulled 500 mtrs string so chased them hard.
The new talica 50 made light work of one.
Hopefully they stick around for few more weeks!

Looks like a good day after a little boo boo leaving the bung out in the morning Wink

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:08am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Team Mindoro went 4-3-2 over the three days we fished down there over easter. Will write up a report later
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:50pm
PIG HUNTER View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

Originally posted by MandM MandM wrote:

Great day on the water today. Tagged 2 fish on bucket list.
Estimated 95 kg and 130 kg.
Bonze light gauge set up.
Both pulled 500 mtrs string so chased them hard.
The new talica 50 made light work of one.
Hopefully they stick around for few more weeks!

Looks like a good day after a little boo boo leaving the bung out in the morning Wink

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:51pm
PIG HUNTER View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't think the bung issue was on bucket list gowest
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 4:34pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So after a not so great start in the first couple months out of Rags we decided to hit the road and head down to New Plymouth to get in on the hot Stripie action down there after weeks of red hot reports, we just hoped it wasn't too late.
Well the first hic-up and a bit of good luck came about 1.5hr into the trip when a bearing on the trailer failed at Te Kuiti. I noticed a bad wobble when I looked back at my trailer, had spare parts for trailer breakdown... all except a set of bearings!!! Luckily we brike down right outside the Carters Tire service in Te Kuiti and the boys hadn't gone home yet as they were having a few beers after work so the boss there saved our arse and the trip getting it fixed there and then. How lucky was that!!!
When we got the the Naki we quickly booked into the camp ground which is right next to the ramp and club which was ideal. We met up with Mike "the Angler " on and Pirate and shared a couple beers and stories and a bit of a run down of the area which was great.  

We got on the water just after first light and was quite pleasantly surprised how easy everything was from launching and powering out to the ground which was only a 15 boat ride before the lures went in. So easy compared to Rags. The radio chatter was unreal and seemed every half hour people were hooking up or landing fish. We marked some bait of the hook and worked it hard all afternoon until we got a blind strike on the short rigger Blue and purple BTK Dojo heavy 25s. Fish pulled 4-500m on a the first blistering run and never jumped at all..... we had suspicions of a decent tuna initially as it stayed deep the whole fight and went on a few good runs. Had a bit of drama when the fish started heading towards another boat that had been hooked up for 4 hours ( it looked like it would of been directly under the boat only a couple hundred meters away from us ). We drove down on it to get on top and averted the crisis and got some separation between us. Finally got the fish up after 40mins, got some colour and to our surprise it was marlin! Managed to get a tag in it before it took off again. 20 mins later and some heavy drag on sunset we got it up boatside again where we intended to let her go but was hooked in the eye and gill so decided to take it. First fish for Lady angler and cherry number 6 for the Boat. Fish looked short but was very healthy and fat and just made weight 90.8kg

First fish for lady angler 1hr fight on 24kg
 weight not quite on board yet 90.8kg

Second day the action had slowed a little compared to Friday but was still consistent. Got a couple makos to the boat in the morning in 80m of the city so decided to try the hook again. Lots of boats around and small patches of bait that we worked hard for nothing so decided to follow the hunndy line down to the tank farm. Mid avo I saw a fish come up on the daisey chain and dropped back and bite the Bonze kahawai on the long corner, I called it all as it was happening and the ratchet started to click...... then crewman stopped the motor PinchAngryOuch ........ needless to say I don't think he will be doing that again!!!

Day three we decided to go to our marks where we got the hit and started working it hard. Saw another fish come into the spread and head right for my daisey chain again and this bugger was hungry... he tried to eat the middle lure in the daisey chain wrapped his bill around the leader a couple times and break of all but the first lure in the chain!!! *******! He wasn't finished though as he dropped back on the Bonze Kahawai again first tailing it then coming closer all barred up doing that window wiper thing they do with gob wide open...... I had time and the knees were shaking to freespool the lure back to him and felt him take and turn as I slowly cranked the drag back up to 12kg at strike and he was hooked!! Woohoo first time id ever done that on the bite.... felt so damn good. Fish managed to wrap around the shotty and twist the mainlines. I managaged to clear gear and drop the drag down to about 8kg just bofore I untangle the shotty while fish was still screaming line. Phew no lost gear and we were solidly hooked up on 80lb. We got a tag in after 25min fight and sent him on his way. First T&R for angler Bonze kahawai single heavy Dojo 35

After that and noticing how much action the Kawahai was getting I tried to match colours and swapped out the long rigger for a full size Pakula sprocket Illusion. Hour later that got eaten and we were hooked up again..... a few moments passed as we were clearing gear then snap... mainline snapped. Suspect it ran over other gear at first but after a closer inspection I see my top roller had seized quite badly!!! My bad I though I looked after my gear better than that. Another learning curve.

Well that was basically it. We had a great weekend for our first time in New Plymouth and will happily do it again. Big thanks to the New Plymouth club and members who all showed us some great hospitality and what a fishing club is all about.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 4:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report and pics Chad, awesome results for the newbie as well congrats.Clap
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 5:46pm
The Optimist View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Outstanding report Chad - Well done on the fish too! Clap
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:15pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great report and sounds like good reward for plenty of research and time on the water.  Go the naki!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:29pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice pics , good to see you got amongst it you had more action than us that's for sure .
It sure is a nervous moment when you freespool a lure back to a fish with its gob open but a hell buzz when you feel that they are hooked up .
the Marlin magic comp was won by 3 boats that all tagged 2 fish each so you were right amongst it .
glad that the naki turned it on for you it certainly is as good a place as any for striped Marlin fishing from a trailer boat on the right day can't actually remember what or any tips we gave you as it was quite late by that stage but hope they helped in some way.......
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 7:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really cool Angler.
Thanks for the write up.
Must visit those Naki souls myself soon.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 8:05pm
robbosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Me and son Super grom were up in the naki over Easter - bumped into Salty as he was waiting for the smoking truck. cheers.

By god there's some big trailer boats out of the naki - blown away by the size of some of them.
Anyways, never got to hang around and meet up with you guys - super grom had surf on the brain and I'm all for getting him out there. Early to bed etc;

If the winds are right in the school holidays we'll be back.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 8:09pm
MandM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wicked Gowest!
Glad you had a great time. Sounds like a hell of a trip!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 10:05pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

onya gowest good to meet you btw.. I remember your lady friend amping at the prospect of her first marlin on the night you got down here.. mission accomplished! Sounds like you had more action than most, even on the slow days. (Some say that wanganui earthquake shut the bite down sun arvo and mon). We boated one on the sat arvo that come up backwards n dead that went 111kg so reasonably happy.. dropped a couple as well plus some dirty makos. Things were quiet out there today app and a bit of a southerly set,  the fish could be heading your way soon i suspect. Get ready rags and manakau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:40am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs UpGreat story and pictures, Chad!Clap
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

4 off Raglan today
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 10:49pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still some fish out there boys, 21.6 degs yest and a sheetload of bait.. go the naki
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:45am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pirate pirate wrote:

Still some fish out there boys, 21.6 degs yest and a sheetload of bait.. go the naki
Good stuff Pirate. Was a heap of bait between hook and 93m the other day. Big tuna lost at the boat (Black Label) and everyone else hooking up.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 4:22pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was going to make it one last crack today then pack the game gear up for winter, but i think we will keep on trucking and trolling for a couple more trips yet. I went on the rod for a change and did battle with this one today, was a stroppy buggga! est 100-110kg. Water still nice , 21.5 degs and blue as with plenty of bait
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 4:37pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done NP is really having a cracker of a season!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 5:52pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had motor problems, so didn't get out, gutted. Well done Pirate
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Page  <1 12131415>