shimano reel + rod? tackle advice needed.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 6:21pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sounds good go with the 4500b, and like i said if your worried about the line capacity put on some braid and then top shot it with about 200 metres of 8kg mono. good luck with the hunt will give you a call if i see any reasonable priced deals about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote golfpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 6:43pm
golfpunk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

what do ya think about the beastmaster rods? are they boat rods only? i can't find any descent info on the net about them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 7:21pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

they will do the same off the rocks as a boat but wont cast as far as a longer rod, but get one with say no more than 6 guides and make sure they are of the larger size i.e used for fixed spool reels not free spool now as for the reels my 6500 has caught everything from 20k kings to 20lb snaps and even nailed a makop of about 80kg while live baiting for kings at the back of Kawau. reading what others have said buy the bigger reel here and down size the line at least if you get hammered you can go to heavier line. also get 2 spools 1 for lighter line the other for heavier say 15kg. hope this helps but as for the rod mmmmm get a kilwell 10- 15 jelly tip these are an awesome rod and reel set up my J/T is a 15 to 24 and i fish 15 over it a great set up indeedy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 8:52pm
peejay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am about to replace my old Baitrunner and am going for jellytip too. Just cant decide between jelly 6ft and BT4500 or jelly7ft and BT6500.

Either way they are a great combo, unbeatable for straylining.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 9:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Go 7 mate and 6500 like i said you can add lighter line and fish less drag but is hard to go the other way on a reel really suited to 8-10k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote golfpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 10:15pm
golfpunk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

how much are those kilwell JT's?  any cheaper alternatives? or are these well worth it?

the 6500 just seems like a monster to me. and at the mo i don't see what the extra advantages are of it, apart from line capacity.  unless you think it's fine to be fishing 14 lb line on the 6500 and have an interchangeable 30 lb spool for kingie and heavy rock and foul fishing? 

but i was thinking that i could achieve the same if i get a 4500 and if i want some heavier line just go braid and top shot with some mono to achieve the capacity, thereby reducing overall bulk of reel?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 10:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

see what your saying, but it comes down to the drag. Mate you decide, your the one fishing with it so go hard, if your looking for alternative rods etc it may pay to go to some shops and have a looksee and see what is around for the money, personally i know what i would be doing and when you loose that fish of a life time on the lighter stuff you will see where i am coming from. good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 10:24am
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

........................... but when you do land that fish of a lifetime on lighter gear you will feel more self fufilled (spelling).

if you land a 30 pound snapper on 15kg, ok well that's really good.................... but if you land it on 8kg, well thats AMAZING.

dude just go with what you feel is right. i say go with the 4500 and if you do want to target bigger things save up and get the 6500 or TLD25 next year or something like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote golfpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 6:34pm
golfpunk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes!

thanks for all the info guys, at the mo i'm just looking on trade me for any hot deals, but i suspect i won't really buy anything until i have a good look at one of the more reputable fishing stores around auckland.  So that's gonna have to wait another couple of weeks.

and i do see what your saying bout bringing in that fish of a lifetime and ensuring the catch due to heavy gear, but it seems i'll probably have to learn the hard way lol.  I gotta work my way up the food chain first anyhows.

How important is the rod itself? i mean i know a crappy one will break on ya in the worst of times, but in terms of matching it up to your line strength? and style of fishing? how good are those shimano taipans? they're about the cheapest in the range arn't they? do u notice a huge difference when fishing under normal circumstances?

thanks again.!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2005 at 9:04pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

go into a professional tackel store, i.e. w.s. lauries, and tell show them the reel that you want to get and what line to put on it and they will tell you the right rod to go along wiht it (well that's what they did to me). i say go for one with a flexy tip, 7-8ft long, and rated say 6-10kg or 8-10kg. there is a coulpe of rods in the backbone and taipan range that are 7ft long and are rated 6-10kg.

the world is your oyster, there are heaps of sweeeeeeeeet rods out there so just go with the one that you feel is right.

here are a couple of some rods that might be put into consideration; shimano backbone, beastmaster, spectrum, taipan; Kilwell livefiber and jelly tip rods; shakespear rods; penn power stick and penn powerstick pro series; daiwa V.I.P and others...................................................

just really depends on what your budget is............................ there is a rod for everything. and the options are endless...........

just go and see a GOOD tackel store and hey will put you in the right direction......

SWEET AS              LEVCAT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote golfpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 11:41pm
golfpunk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey went down to westhaven had a looksie around after my final exam. and ended up buying a 3500b . 8kg mono, 7ft 6-10kg beastmaster combo for 250, which i thought was reasonable, so i got it!!

i kinda decided to go for the lighter side of things, and the options are there if i wanna step it up to another setup for bigger fish later.

with this one, i'll probably go some fireline on there at a later stage too, and get into some plastics maybe.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 10:14am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice set up Golfpunk.  I like the look of the 3500b as well great price although I was looking at matching it to a 8ft 3-6kg backbone rob for soft plastics (with mandatory fireline )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote golfpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2005 at 12:43am
golfpunk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah i was thinking that earlier today, whether it may be abit heavy, but casting it in the garden felt nice.

the moimoe line 8kg i have on there at the mo i think is too thick for it. 
some 10-14lb fireline will be going on their soon enough!

how much is that backbone rod by itself.?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2005 at 10:46am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Down this way about $140 but I am sure with the competition up there in Aucks you could probably get it quite a bit cheaper I am sure Cod or Strawberry can point you in the right direction. I will be getting one in the next few weeks should be a whole lot of fun.
Page  <12