Vote: Should NZ let in more refugees?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vote: Should NZ let in more refugees?
    Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 11:49pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/your-views/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501154&objectid=11506105

Should NZ let in more refugees? Here is the latest selection of Your Views:

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:10am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't see any views?!!?
But let them in our population in nz needs to be bigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why do these  ordinary families.. not much different our families/ us have t leave their homes, everything?

Because of crazy little Hitlers, gangs idiots running around with guns and bombs and have a government that is not their for the people...

So there are several paths to take
1/ the rest of the world take these millions of ppl in
2/ let them die in the oceans , and borders
3/ remove the reason why they are not safe in their own homes

The latter is a core reason why the league of nations and later the United Nations was set up...
So why does the UN not step in, or most of the counties do so?  because Russia in a single vote on the 'security' council says "no"

Are the refugees heading to Russia.. hell no..and Russia knows if they go to the western block than that will cause political and economic instability for a very long time into the future

So the western world is in very much a catch 22 situation, damned if u do damned if u dont because of a single vote on the UN.

What needs to be done is Europe, the western world and many of the middle eastern and African countries...  get real serious... actually declare war on ISIS and some of these governments... train up these refugees, as happened in WW2, invade and wipe out these 'hitlers'... again same as WW2.

Sort the cause of the problem and the symptoms go way.

Remember , these are ordinary families, people, children, mother , fathers who dont have a government that acts in their interest.....we are just lucky to be born in a country that has a government that cares more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:11am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couldn't agree with Steps more! Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:35am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nothing to do with their government Steps, more to do with meddling western governments. I was in Syria in 2004. What an awesome place. Steeped in history, friendly people and a good vibe about the place. Then in rolls American foreign policy, unstabilising the middle east for its own ends. Iraq, Libya, Yemen - all amazing countries now laid waste because of America and fawning western leaders who back up the slaughter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 10:49am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quite right Cliff.  There was a stable, elected government in Syria and things were pretty good.  Then a group of muslims tried to overthrow the government.  In the normal course of things the uprising would have been swiftly, and probably quite brutally by our western standards, put down.  But the USA and several European countries backed these rebels and called them "freedom fighters", now look at the mess we've got.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 12:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am picking this has been going on for centuries,the in fighting,well why dont the rest of the world sit back for awhile and see where it goes,no media couverage might a good place to start,failing all else remove woman and children and the elderly,teach the men folk how to shoot and let them get on with it.
as many have said before the UN needs to get it together and take proper action rather than tell us we need to take in refugees.

I Personally say NO refugees,Germany said they will 800 thousand now cutting it back to 400 thousand why?do not meet the German criteria of blonde and blue eyed? 

Where does it all end? pakistan/india  iraq/iran  palestine/israel  zimbabwe/kenya  afghanistan

Yes I am selfish I want our paradise to remain so.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 1:31am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kevin S, I don't believe the dictator technically in charge of Syria (Assad) was democratically elected. Western governments and media lauded the so-called Arab-Springs/uprisings that started popping up amongst countries oppressed by dictatorships, and assistance was given to the rebels, when surely it was clear to all that replacing a dictatorship with hard-line Islamic groups was never going to lead to peace and prosperity.

I suspect part of the problem in Syria is that this lesson was partially learned, and now no-one is keen to support any particular group in earnest, partly because there are so many different groups with their own agendas, and partly because they're all equally bad choices, hence the mess and brutality.

And yes, I also believe ISIS were created as a direct result of the last US/Iraq war and subsequent bad choices that were made there.

I personally don't want to see us taking in more refugees as I think those in charge would be too politically weak-kneed to take firm steps to weed out those genuinely in need from those just wanting to take the jihad to new lands.

The media love to show pics of little kiddies and women amongst the refugees, but look a bit closer and you'll see that the majority of them are in fact young men of fighting age. Also, have a look at the websites showing what the mainstream media won't show - ie refugees waving ISIS flags, throwing rocks at trains, throwing away food given to them by aid groups because the packaging displays the red cross - do we really want to give these people the keys to our paradise? 

I believe we're very fortunate to be so remote from the mess over in the middle east and now Europe, and should keep our distance. Paranoid? Maybe, but that's my opinion nonetheless.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with u cliff on the background to the government and western interference.. hell going back to pre WW1.
Regardless how the government, be it Syria, Iran , Afghanistan Somalia etc got to the postion the get the ordinary families ppl into the refugee postion... it still comes down to what is happening now...not how it got there...

And does the UN whatever sort the cause of  creating refugees out  or take them in?
has to be one or the other  I can see a 3rd option other than let these families drown at sea or starve in camps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 6:26pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mossy Mossy wrote:

Kevin S, I don't believe the dictator technically in charge of Syria (Assad) was democratically elected. Western governments and media lauded the so-called Arab-Springs/uprisings that started popping up amongst countries oppressed by dictatorships, and assistance was given to the rebels, when surely it was clear to all that replacing a dictatorship with hard-line Islamic groups was never going to lead to peace and prosperity.

I suspect part of the problem in Syria is that this lesson was partially learned, and now no-one is keen to support any particular group in earnest, partly because there are so many different groups with their own agendas, and partly because they're all equally bad choices, hence the mess and brutality.

And yes, I also believe ISIS were created as a direct result of the last US/Iraq war and subsequent bad choices that were made there.

I personally don't want to see us taking in more refugees as I think those in charge would be too politically weak-kneed to take firm steps to weed out those genuinely in need from those just wanting to take the jihad to new lands.

The media love to show pics of little kiddies and women amongst the refugees, but look a bit closer and you'll see that the majority of them are in fact young men of fighting age. Also, have a look at the websites showing what the mainstream media won't show - ie refugees waving ISIS flags, throwing rocks at trains, throwing away food given to them by aid groups because the packaging displays the red cross - do we really want to give these people the keys to our paradise? 

I believe we're very fortunate to be so remote from the mess over in the middle east and now Europe, and should keep our distance. Paranoid? Maybe, but that's my opinion nonetheless.

Bang on. This is the wave of people ISIS promised they would unleash on the west. With this wave will come the promised violence, chaos and spread of radical Islam. After this, what ever happens, the face of Europe and many ancient cultures will be changed forever.
You are also correct about the media. By showing only the heart tugging pictures they can make sure the story stays in peoples mind. If they showed the violence and ungratefulness of many of these so called refugees the public would soon lose interest and sympathy/empathy which would affect their bottom line.
The Hungarians are now starting to turn these so called refugees away because they will not follow simple instructions or the Hungarian law. They are refusing to register so they can be tracked as they are helped. Why?
We even have one of our reporters comparing their treatment to that of the Jews during WWII.
We also have illegal immigrants throwing away their identification and claiming to be Syrian so they can jump the queue.
Sorry. No more refugees. Solve the problem at its source and tell that countries citizens to stop running away and help bring peace and stability to their homeland. Why should outsiders lose their lives if the countries own inhabitants will not stand and fight.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 12:31pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

https://www.rt.com/news/315482-assad-terrorism-refugees-interview/
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 7:50pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 4:48pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Morally other countries should take genuine refugees in, practically no.  N.z has a problem employing the people livng here now, we have a small fragile economy and it doesn't take much to tip it in the wrong direction. I lived in Au for quite a few years and noted the issues they are having there particuarly in the western suburbs. Seems that the 1st gen. that arrives is greatful, hard working if they can get a job and keep to the local laws, the 2nd generation doesn't really know about any hardships encountered in their own home country, often don't intergrate well and then want what they think the locals have, can't always acheive that and then cause issues. im not sure how true an artical I read a couple of weeks back was but it said that only 35% of refugees that are brought into N.Z get full time work. This means that the tax payer has to foot the bill , people out of work often have low esteem and this can introduce issues as we know.Hard call but No more please.
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z