1 kg, yeah right

Page  <123>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:57pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

My preference though in most of my fishing is to slowly retrieve the fish to enjoy the challenge and feel that when I release the fish it is in good health to do so. 

Reeling a fish in slow is not challenging... and it doesn't make it any healthier on release....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:13pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agreed Josh hence my statement you quoted.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:41am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo I think your missing a fundamental feature of type of  people who chase these records, they are proper sportsmen, whose  angling skils and ability very few here would ever be able to imagine let alone comprehend, they spend large amounts of money and time chasing the fish they catch...... and given the IGFA regulations they adhere to state " Captures in which the fish has not fought or had a chance to fight do not reflect credit on the fisherman" The suggestion that they back up and gaff free swimming fish that dont know their hooked shows how little you understand of what they do.

Josh is absolutely correct, its like comparing your average driver to a F1 winner.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:00am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having re read all the above.
I accept the opinions of those with greater knowledge and understanding of these techniques.
It was most informative.
I appreciate all the input and views. Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:52am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I've fished a lot with the J's and can tell you first hand Mattoo that what the top light tackle anglers have achieved is only through countless hours of practice, preparation and commitment to improvement. 

Guy would be hands down the most skilled and competent angler I know and JB is at the top of his game as a Captain. To fish with the H&Bull team for a day is a priceless learning experience that's for sure.

It's not stunt fishing, it's not everyone's cuppa either and while you can have your view on it, Titahi and Josh have summed it up very well in their comments.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:53am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out of interest Angler and Josh what type of hooks are they using for this fishing, are they J or circle hooks. As this is all bait fishing this is very important with respect to fish mortality. If they are J hooks this brings into question in this day and age the ethics of the ultra light tackle fishing. The reason being is that the science indicates that J hooked fish have a much greater mortality rate than circle hooks when bait fishing. I would hazard a guess that Hook N Bull probably busts off 10 times more fish through a season than they land. How many of them go on to die as a result of the hook in the throat or guts.

It is only a matter of time before the IGFA and/or NZSFC ban J hooks for bait fishing for marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:00am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I accept the opinions of those with greater knowledge and understanding of these techniques.
It was most informative.

Nice to see your open minded about the subject.
light and ultra light tackle angling has many challenges and is a team sport which requires 100% commitment from everyone on the boat and incredible attention to detail.
It can all fail in a split second and the capture rate is quite low.
But when it all comes together and you pull off a worthy capture its a unique feeling.
I find this aspect of fishing very rewarding and extremely challenging
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:35am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Vance,

I won't comment on what they do or don't use, I've never marlin fished with them and even if I had it wouldn't be my place to say.

However, I believe the general preference among a lot of light tackle crews these days is to use  the bent shank tawainese longline style hooks for their strength and ability to latch onto to the bill upper or lower jaw or corner of the mouth with minimal drag pressure.

I haven't got any first hand experience at ultra light record bill fishing, but personally if I was having ago it would seem logical to avoid a gut hooked fish that could sulk and be hard to raise and also no doubt far easier to tear the hook out of the gill raker, throat or stomach pulling hard on the leader than the bony mouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:45am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dont think anyone will be pitch baiting with j hooks marligator , I've only ever seen small high carbon owner circles used in my limited opportunities to do it.
And the fly fishing was done with fine gauge fly hooks .
I would imagine more fish are killed inadvertently by guys whos main aim is to get a tag in at all costs even if that means missing a early shot at cutting a fish loose at the leader and releasing a green healthy fish .
Don't understand that aye I would rather cut a fired up fish off then tag a brown hunk of meat , quicker you can cut it free the sooner you can get your next one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:25am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for your comments guys, I hope you are right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 7:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Josh is there any chance you could post a picture of these hooks or a link to these hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:00pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://segyehook.en.ec21.com/Tuna_Hook_with_A_Ring--6086003.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Josh - They are the same as we used for the Bluefin off the west coast. I have used these live baiting skippies and of the 5 strikes we got from marlin, we pulled the hooks on all the fish, luckily two of them the hooks came out after the tag went in one and the gaff in another. I think the problem was we gave the fish too long to get the baits down and they all choked on the baits (basically just wound them straight to the boat, a good crew could have backed up and gaffed them all without any fuss as they just sat on the surface for ages thrashing their heads about before we wound them straight to the boat where they all fell off with 30m of the boat or at the boat after several minutes) in their throats rather hooking in the corner of the mouth and this was with 37 kg line on 4 fish and 15 on the other.

Interestingly any mako or hammerhead we hooked bit us off pretty quickly which indicated to me they were being hooked down deep, even though if we saw it was a shark at the strike we put the drag straight up (we lost 4 hammers one day like this), whereas once we changed over to Owner super Mutsu they have all been hooked in the corner of the mouth and we have not been bitten off since.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:44pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got put onto these hooks by a mate who was using em up in Nova Scotia. We filed the F out of em, as they are a large gauge hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 4:22pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

As anyone bought directly from this site ? 

Interested in feedback.
Ta 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 10:04pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heres a Cucumber fish rigged on one of these hooks for a sword bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 6:38am
Titanium
Titanium

I got a sword at Mayor at night a few years on one of those hooks using a squid, hooked perfectly in corner of mouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:49am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was most informative.

So now the appreciation of knowlege has set in Mattoo, why not book and go with a light tackle expert ?
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 7:53pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi AC, have seen you around for a while, good to see your still there.
Actually started to make the plunge before my post. And I was second guessing myself.
I new there would be a wealth of knowledge in this forum. And there was. And informative and rewarding as in it reinforced my push forward to chase these techniques to improve my skill and hence my passion for most forms of fishing.
Had a bad case of TAS with this and have put in a lot of prep, now looking forward to my first outing,with new kit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:38am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Out of interest I have 5 boxes of 100 of these hooks (not sure on brand) . size 3.8
 $20 bucks a box if anyone is interested? Made in Korea 

Page  <123>