1 kg, yeah right

Page  123>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 kg, yeah right
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been intrigued by light fishing so more tas.
But after reading some records posted to me I'm in disbelief of some of these.
Really, how is it possible to actually land 100 kg fish or 10 kg fish.
Clearly something I'm missing here.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:20pm
billhunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

a lot pressure on the skipper to keep on that fish. As soon as the leader is in the deckys hand hollllddd on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:51pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The things JB, the Hookin bull crew and the jacobsens have achieved on light gear is mind blowing.
105kg Stripey on 1kg
112.6kg Stripey on 2kg
174.8kg Stripey on 3kg to name a few.
Attention to detail, preparation, teamwork and a shyteload of knowledge and skill. Regardless of your views on light tackle, they deserve respect. When you consider the line must break under the rated strength, you cant say it was just fought on the leader as to be able to lift heavy leader out of the water to get it to the leader mans hands while the boats going backwards with all that water pressure is skill enough. The fact people write it off as a stunt purely because its beyond anything we could achieve or understand just shows how truly amazing the are.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:54pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How long are the leaders allowed to be out of interest? And is there a minimum amount of line that nees to be out? Eg can you tease the fish in soon as it bite grab the leader and hold on haha?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:22pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On light tackle leaders are to be a max of 4.75m. 

I love light tackle and we do a lot of it but even a 2kg skippy on 1kg has taken us over an hour :) Hats off to the crews that hold those records!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:31pm
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was beside JB on the King Bank when he got the 6kg stripey years ago.

One of the coolest things I have seenClap.

If more people got an IGFA 2kg set and went out catching skippies they would find out how bad of angler they are.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:13pm
swanie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A completely different sport than the one you and I participate in, but hats off to those that want to compete. Not something that floats my boat but you can still appreciate it.
"Love the smell of Napalm in the morning"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:27pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well thanks for the comments, none of you answered the question.
My position, i enjoy light fishing techniques.
But I doubt the reality of someone catching a 100 kg fish on 1 kg with out it being deceptive or misleading or not actually fishing but just not fishing.
Show me evidence.
I challenge anyone who has actually achieved this huge disparity of weights as to how the fish was actually fought and landed.
1-10 kg I accept as we go above this formula, besides luck I challenge anyone to prove they angled the fish and not used circumstance or trickery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:55pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah, last time I saw it done.. Tease marlin up to boat, hook up, full speed reverse, grab leader.. Fish caught.. Actual line weight had realistically nothing to do with it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:06pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The most intense game fishing I've ever done was light tackle to be precise -marlin on fly gear i thought it would be all tweed and cups of tea but boy was I wrong it was like cage fighting - violent intense and exciting and I'm sure addictive if you can afford it.
Success or failure is measured in mm and seconds and the angler is only part of it but they get the glory.
Here's the run down from what I've witnessed and been part off.
Step 1 , get yourself a big ole boat that you can go to the best fishery far away from everyone else for extended periods of time.
Step 2 , assemble yourself a top notch crew and a gun skipper.
Step 3 , start teasing Hungry marlin to the back of the boat the longer it takes and the more angry they get the better , that's where your gun skipper and top notch crew come into play with instructions relayed from the tower followed instinctively on the deck , picture a kitten being teased by a feather.
Step 4 throw a bait or wot ever with a ridiculously sharp hook attached anywhere in the vicinity of before mentioned angry marlin hell he should be that angry put a hook in a roman sandle and hiff it over , the second it hits the water it's dead meat anyway.
Step5 here's the tricky bit for the angler he needs to set that super sharp hook quick and clean then as he does he has to hold on cos a few tonne of fibreglass is going to start going backwards faster than most boats go forwards .
Step 6 gaff that bstard real fast and real good preferably on his 1st jump as green as a Irishman on st paddys day.
Step 7 get to the nearest weigh station real fast, don't fish for another 2 days only for your fish to lose a few kg of fluids and miss a world record by 400g.

Steps 3 to 6 may have to be repeated several times over several days over several seasons with the odd million spent here and there .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:13pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Angler, that breakdown is really appreciated.
It was as suspected. No angling involved.
But in no way am I belittleling the skill of all to achieve that result.
For me it clarifies that in truth it is not a hooked, angled and landed fish.
It is another technique that is not fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's being a bit dismissive , take my breakdown with a grain of salt as theres definitely more too it than that power point presentation , on the days we attempted it I witnessed the best angling I have ever seen in a 45 minute battle with a very big striped marlin that would have blitzed the wr , on I think a 20lb Tippet , not a leader or anything resembling marlin gear involved ,if the fly hook wasn't set instantly at exactly the precise second of eating the fly bill rash instantly busted it off ,and believe me setting a fly hook into a Marlins mouth with a fly rod ain't that easy **** I wouldn't even fish for snapper with the gear he used that day, the angler knew exactly which side of the fish he was hooked in and relayed instructions to his skipper the whole fight in regards to boat position etc we had him almost within range of the fixed handle gaffs several times but he would go down and sulk until the angler useing every inch of his body to put hurt on him thru a ridiculously long bendy rod would bring him up mm by mm on a seriously small flyreel with no gearing or anything resembling a comfortable handle , it got to the point where the call was made to try and turn the fish over or have our man on the rod collapse from the strain and cramps he was getting it was a calculated gamble by the angler who knew exactly what could happen he made the call and yep the line rubbed and pinged off , the fish won the angler collapsed on the deck from exhaustion and adrenaline and the skipper congratulated everyone for almost achieving the impossible .
If that's not angling I dunno what is......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:05pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hats off to you Angler.
I respect your observations and Eye witness account.
I will reserve my judgement and do not cover all aspects of lite game fishing if this is more respective of there efforts.
However not jumping into this conversation blindly I have witnessed aspects that have very little to resemble that aspect.
I still question the records achieved as to what I have seen. And those observations are as you have accounted and as I have intimated.
I just feel uncomfortable with maybe the qualification of the record re the catch. How is this actually qualified is what I feel I'm eluding too.
This is purely a discussion topic I'm having that I wish to have a better understanding,about.
Angler as before I thank you for your time and input.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wish they would fix this iPad issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Here's the other side of the coin - ok I'm going alienate just about everyone on here and stick my neck on the block .
I believe lure fishing to be the least skilled way of catching marlin bar longlineing ,there is no angling involved in towing a gaff around the sea .........
There is certainly no great angling skills involved after the skipper has let out 700m of line then rolls a cigarette casually knowing that the weight and drag of the line will soon tire out the beast and all " the angler " has to do is wind in the slack line evenly as the boat slowly quarters closer and closer going up sea until a stuffed brown lifeless marlin pops up beside the boat to be gaffed or even worse tagged and cut free to sink slowly down to the bottom and become part of the food chain.

cue hate mail and threatening p.ms.............
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:14pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ohsoslow Ohsoslow wrote:

yeah, last time I saw it done.. Tease marlin up to boat, hook up, full speed reverse, grab leader.. Fish caught.. Actual line weight had realistically nothing to do with it..

Unfortunately too many people here have the misguided understanding that it go's down like stated above.

All sounds very easy when written down in two lines. Actual line weight has tremendous amount to do with it!  

Someone please correct if they know better but my understanding is the 1kg fish had a fight time that was quite prolonged.

Also there seems to be a consensus that to catch one light means its fast and to catch one fast means its easier....  Anyone who's ever tried will find it's quite the opposite. Regardless of the line class, to catch a marlin in under 5 mins is a feat even on 130lb tackle, drop that line weight down and it becomes that much harder. The reality is the majority of people knocking it, wouldn't have a **** show of doing it if they tried, even on heavy tackle.

Regarding angling, marlin caught by 80-90% of the recreational anglers in NZ require no real angling skill whatsoever.... sorry but it's true! These light tackle captures are some of the very few that do!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Oh and yeah I Tow gaffs around the sea , I have gaffed brown fish , I have let a whole spool out to tire a fish, I have wound the slack in.
sometimes I try not too tho...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Realistic observation there Angler.
I suppose it's a matter of fishing styles.
I prefer to enjoy my hook up with any technique that is available to get the hookup firstly.
And I do believe even with lures there is technique involved.
I have successfully landed marlin in two minutes on 60 lb leader which has been quite a team effort and has been my best to date, via a live bait. Fish was in great condition on release.
My preference though in most of my fishing is to slowly retrieve the fish to enjoy the challenge and feel that when I release the fish it is in good health to do so. I would take the fish for food otherwise.
It is a matter of fishing style and that is mine.
Josh, many make those assumptions because they are in the majority who neither think before they comment or are not able to engage in a conversation.
Conversations don't require winners and losers they require opinions that inform or edify.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:50pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I set my son up with 3kg a couple of years ago trying for a junior record mahi. We hooked a few..popped a couple off.. caught one that didnt go weight...  and lost what would have been a record fish at the boat when the hook pulled.

Even on 3kg line you really struggle to "lift" a fish like a 7kg mahi...  but it can be slowly done.

Ive caught a few marlin..  Id say they would hardly feel sub 1kg pressure...  more likely they would feel it as a slight drag.. and try to jump to dislodge the "impediment"   

This ultra light fishing for marlin is more a case of staying within reach and going for a gaff shot ASAP while its thrashing about on the surface... not my cup of tea... but each to there own..  

J

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:52pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

their

Page  123>